Mercury Cougar?

kn1ghtblade

The body changed in '83, 80-82 and 83-88 I think are all basically similar, 80-82 was 108.4" wheelbase and 83-88 was 104". Common with the Ford T-bird, it shares basic suspension layout with the Fox body Mustang. Strut front, coil rear with 4-link somewhat similar to a GM Metric (with the same problems). Common with 5.0 V8 and 3.8 V6 both throttle body injected. Somewhat different was the turbo t-bird (I think the Cougar could be ordered with the same but not sure) 175 hp turbocharged 2.3L 4 cylinder.

4-speed automatic standard, 5-speed manual with the Turbo 4. Gear is likely to be in the range of 2.73 - 3.08, early models used the smaller 7.5" Dana, later used 8.8", Trak-Loc was an option. There is a lot of selection in aftermarket to support the Mustang market. The XR-7 trim line had beefier sway bars (front and rear) and some had a unique 4-rear shock arrangement.

Cool thanks.... This helps alot, according to the website posted the 80-82's had a 112 inch wheel base before the body change... THats the main thing I needed to know since the class we want to run in requires 110 inch minimum and preliinary mesurement came up at 111 inches... I am not sure on year but it must fall in that 80-82 years....

Archived