Old Race Tracks

Jason

Well with riverside it was not bad unless the wind blew! However in Corpus when did the wind not blow? also to add to the fun on the back straight away they had an imbankment to keep the cars in the place but ever once in a while a car and driver would find the nice sewage drain off back there. He was the most unpopular driver of the night, hehe.

Man It's hard to beleve I worked at Pan American Speedway in the late 70's mabe the last year it was open for the full season.I have lots of good memories of the place .one that comes to mind is when all the lights went out durning the middle of a hobby stock race and all the cars came to a stop on the track and in the infield of the track with out anyone running into another car . those were the days.

• 8 months later...

I have attended races at Pan American speedway when I was 9-12 yrs old,and had enjoyed the mini-pony 4-cylinder cars,especially the vw bugs and karmann ghias,the car I most remember was the yellow vw bug driven by Neil Mccorvy(spelling might be wrong)those were great memories and I am proud today to be driving the red #50 karmann ghia in the Texas Pro Sedan series,also something unusual that I have done is,I have a chunk of asphalt from tracks that I have seen or raced at such as,Pan American,San Antonio,Longhorn,and they are displayed by any trophys I have won so that once they are finally leveled I will at least have a peice that has raced on by many great drivers........Randy Larsen #50

Yall remember the "NEW" Pan American Speedway. Any of you remember the old Pan American on Austin Hwy? It operated as Mercury Speedway its last year when the new track opened up. Some of the drivers tried to keep it going when they were black balled by the "drivers association" (ie. drivers the could not beat). It was the home of some of the best racing and fighting in the state. You old Waldo Harper, Buddy Jerkins, Jimmy "fireball" Finger, Paul Jett, Todd Ford, Harold Pipers, etc fans should remember.

An old timer told me about an even older track called the Devil's Bowl, but that was before even my time.

Archived