Record Number of I-37 Mods, 6/23/06

NickHolt

IMCA Modifieds Start a Record Number in the Main Event

by Bill Morris

Over 50 drivers gathered at the I-37 ¼ mile dirt track Friday night to compete in 6 different divisions. The “slam bang” action kept race fans on the edge of their seats throughout the evening.

Highlighting the racing action was Pleasanton’s teenager Devin Adler, who captured his second Pure Stock feature win in as many outings. Adler, who started the event from inside the fourth row, inherited the lead on lap seven when Lytle’s Nathan Lorenz was sidelined with tire problems. After moving to the front, Adler spent the next thirteen laps holding off challengers Robert Danielson of Boerne, who had to settle for the runner-up’s spot and San Antonio’s veteran MK Wallace, who was scored in the third place.

In other stock car action, Super Stock driver Howie Marcx of Somerset went to the front on lap twelve and held on for the win ahead of Pleasanton’s Dennis Hilla, with Elmendorf’s Gary Hunter rounding out the top three. On lap ten, early leader Jud Rollins of Corpus Christi, tangled with Hilla and after a quick pit stop to replace a tire, Rollins joined the field at the rear and managed to work his way to fourth before the checkered flag waved.

In modified racing action, a full field of IMCA Modifieds provided race fans with the excitement typical of short track dirt track racing. On lap three Shawn O’Banon moved around early leader Marlin Samford to lead the event for the next twelve laps. On lap five Samford and Adkin’s driver Jamie Campbell collided going into turn one. It took the track crew 20 minutes to separate the cars before racing could continue. Campbell was able to continue while Samford needed a trip to the pits to repair damage suffered in the “insta-dent”. A restart on lap 15 gave 2005 Track Champion, Micky Helms, an opportunity to get around O’Banon and give the Victoria driver a trip to the winners circle. For the second event in a row O’Bannon had to settle for second place honors finishing ahead of Corpus driver Bill Pittaway.

Taking top honors in the feature event for the Texas Outlaw Modifieds was San Antonio’s Chris Snocker. Second place honors went to Elmendorf’s Herb Shaw ahead of Pleasanton’s Jim Kennet.

Race fans attending the Friday event were treated to a special exhibition when three of the popular dwarf cars ran a limited program. The cars were from the Corpus area and are members of the South Texas Dwarf Car Association. Fans enjoyed the “down sized” cars and are looking forward to their return to I-37.

The next event at the I-37 Speedway is scheduled for Friday, July 7th, with the green flag scheduled for 8:00pm

Record number of drivers but man I think the races could go for the record for the longest time to complete all races. Finally got out of there close to 12:45 got home at 1:30. The funny thing is that is the same time I get home from racing at Corpus. Go Figure.

OH and I did not know that 15 Mods was a record. I rememder last year there were over 26 Mods on several ocassions.

Archived