Front Wheel Drive verses Rear Wheel Drive

ratdaddy

I was dooing some research on the history of board racing tracks. I find it just amazing the size and effort that went into building these speedways. On one sight, there was a track called Altoona Speedway in Tipton Pa. As I was going through the archives and came across a photo and the caption under the photo was 1925 all front wheel drive millers except #8 winner Lou Meyer.

I wonder if that is when the restrictor plates came into effect??? Photo to follow

Here is the Photo. This track is 1.25 miles in length and was 60 foot wide. It was made out of white pine 2x4's stood on edge. It ran from 1923 until it was forced to close in 1929 with the start of the depression.

post-30-1149357668_thumb.jpg

In A.J. Foyts autobiography he tells of racing on the wooden race track. It was banked and supported underneith by big wooden beams. He said the planks would warp and come loose. You had to look for the ends of these boards sticking up a couple inches and not hit them or it would tear your car up. But the weirdest thing was that boys would climb up there during the race and stick their heads up under the planks that were loose to get a peek at the race cars coming at them.

Archived