street stock touring series

makdada

to all texas street stock drivers. please leave an opinon on what you would think of having a touring street stock class based off the thr ss rules. they run a series in the north west part of the country that is very succesful. please let me know what you think.

I'm not sure that a street stock touring series is what Texas racing needs right now. I'm not saying that it is a bad idea but, it seems that racers need to be supporting thier tracks right now. When the track owners are holding meetings and BBq's to get people's input, it seems like no one needs to abandoning ship at this point. With all of the arguements out there now about who stole who's cars a street stock touring series would just not make since to me. However another idea would be to have a street stock support race at the Texas tripple crown races. That would give the street stock guys a chance to go and show thier stuff at some of the big time short track races.

Personally, I don't like the idea of any touring series based upon the rules of a local track, unless the track is eliminating that class anyway. My view of the ideal short track racing atmosphere in Texas consists of each local track having 3 or 4 local classes that run every week or alternate weeks off. Augmenting those local classes would be a few touring series that don't quite fit well into a weekly show format like Super Late Models, Modifieds, Trucks, and some smaller cars. I just think that local tracks cannot survive if all of their locals classes hit the road.

Chase

Why would you create a touring series for cars that already have a place to race. TSRS cars had a place to race and now look at the THR LLM class. Of coarse I don't want to start anything and I will just shutup now because I have said too much. :)

Jason

wildracer, thanks for your mature opinion. it is just an idea from a story i read in stock car racing magazine. the idea is not to steal the class from thr.that would probally cause thr to fold up. it is to give drivers a chance to run a different track once in a while. another idea that would probally help texas racing is for all the promoters in the state to have some sort of matched rules. back in the 70's, you could run several different tracks by the same rules and have a state wide points title. i wrote this topic to see what some drivers might think about it. not to open a can of worms. it would just be nice to go run sa or houston or cc without having to change everything on the car. nobody needs to wad thier panties over this.

I think there should be a big race for THR type street stocks at the end of the year. SAS is a little too big for street stocks in my opinion so a good track to have this type of race at would be THR or HMS. This would put the street stock guys in the spot light for a weekend as well as letting them race for a big purse. I think $10,000 to the winner would bring in a ton of cars.

I don't think it is a great idea because alot of the people in the street stock classes in most cases are trying to work there way up or don't want to sink that kind of money into it. When you start traveling heavily your costs increase dramatically.

A couple of you guys have mentioned some post season special events. I would love to have something like that to look forward to after the season. The streets had the stock car spectacular at THR for a couple of years in a row at THR a few years back. It paid $1000 to the winner. The spectacular is now a late model race. Something like this would be cool. After seeing the touring series several times during the year, maybe people would be more interested in a special event street stock race instead of late models. Or maybe both??

cs

One of the reasons that there are touring series is because the local tracks cant support the cars that run in the touring series. The modifieds were tried at San Antonio a few years ago and couldnt support the car count. One of the reasons that I run a touring series is because it is easier on the family life not having to be out in the garage everyday having to work on a race car. The Romco cars cant go to the same track week in and week out because there is too much maintenance involved in there class. A big super stock race would be good as an end of the year similar to what the stock car spectacular is at Kyle.

Just to add my two cents with the Texas Outlaw Bombers. We are a bomber touring series with 12 races this year and more for next year. We have had a total of 87 different drivers run in 5 total races so far. We average 35 cars per event with about 17 drivers that are racing for points championship. Main reasons that these guys like it is one we police our own with toba techmen and officials. So favoritizm is out the window. Next is with this economy very few drivers can race every week therefore they will never win a points race, however most guys can plan to run twice a month easily and run for a points championship. Next is running other places creates more excitement no matter if its hours away because they can plan for it. The key is enforcing wat your rules are, take off all responsibilities off of the promoters and tracks so its an easy decision for them and be organized so its not an embarrasing event. Other than that it doesnt matter the class just get organized, put some power back in the drivers hands and have fun. www.txoutlawbomber.com

I know Im kinda late on writin bout this subject. The problem with havin a big race at the end of the year is the owner has to have the money to do it and thats one thing Bryan is hurting for. You also have to advertise for it and have the car count now Im sure the car count would be no biggy but you have to have the people in the stands to get the purse to pay the winner/rest of field.

Now on the subject of having a touring class... Bad idea Mary Ann basically killed the LM class at THR and now if a driver gets disqualified for somethin that is int he rule book they can just leave THR and they have a place to race. Its almost certain that if you started a SS touring series the same thing would happen. Plus another thing is that SAS is Nascar sactioned CCS has different rules. The thing about TAMS is if a Dirt Driver decides to run TAMS for a night he can do it if he pays his entry fee there are usaly no illegal motors all you have to do is run treads and not slicks. So back to the point of a touring series for SS if ya have a certain set of rules and all the Asphalt tracks in Texas are different set of rules then you gunna have the same drivers day in and day out cause i gurantee you a SAS driver isnt gunna change the whole dang racecar just to go race in a touring series. BUt this is just my opinion maybe it would work but it certainly would be the end of THR probaly and thats if THR is even alive next year..

Matt Banker

Archived