I-37 Race Recap, 5/26/06

NickHolt

For Immediate Release: I-37 Race Results for Friday May 26, 2006

The Holiday Racing Action was as hot as the Weekend Weather. . . By Bill Morris

Competition on the track reflected the soaring temperatures of the weekend, providing race fans with exciting racing action in all four divisions. Leading the action was the 15 lap Super Stock feature event. New Braunfels’ Terry Votion took an early lead, on the 10th lap he hit the front crash wall with enough force to destroy his front end, and had to be removed by the wrecker. Corpus’ Jud Rollins inherited the top spot and held off late race challenges from Poteet’s Abe Marnes Jr. and Elmendorf’s Gary Hunter.

In other Stock Car action St. Louis’s Tom Williams came from the rear of the starting field to take the lead on lap five of the 20 lap event, but was disqualified from the win when a post race inspection revealed an illegal part. The top spot was awarded to Paul Reyes of San Antonio. Following Reyes to the checkered flag was Jourdanton’s Janell Hilla, with Jourdanton neighbor Trevor Hilla rounding out the top three.

In the popular IMCA Modified 20 lap feature event, it took Comfort’s Chris Swenson nine laps to pass Corpus’ Billy Pittaway for the lead. Pittaway finished the event in second spot ahead of Bobby Grobe, also racing out of Corpus Christi. Grobe had to recover from a lap 7 spin where he collected Atkins’s Jamie Campbell.

In the other IMCA division for the Sports Modifieds, San Antonio’s Robert Williams topped the field ahead of teammate Darren Swatsenberg of Cibolo. Rounding out the top three was local racer Mike Finkel of Pleasanton.

Following the races, track officials announced that the track would be on an every other week schedule starting immediately. There will be no racing next Friday, but the excitement of dirt track racing will return to the ¼ mile venue on Friday, June 9th, stating at 8:00pm. The I-37 Speedway is located on I-37 at the 101 mile marker. Make your plans to join us for affordable family fun the second weekend in June.

looks like the start of things headed in a bad direction,sure wish 37 owners would let someone else run or buy the track to keep racing alive in San Antonio.Same goes for HCR, 2 nice tracks going down hill due to owners or the lack of. :(

Go for it BRH. You have made many very good suggestions for track owners and promoters in the past. Dig into your bank account and have at it!

Just flip back through some of the threads here on TXSZ. Just about every problem with promotors, owners, operators, tracks, officials and even the concessions has been aired and re-aired. Seems like there are a lot of would-be track promoters right here on TXSZ!

Unfortunately, there are very few people willing to put their money where their mouth is. But it's sure easy - and apparently quite a bit of fun - to bash the existing track operators. Almost a sport unto itself...

Nick Holt

Nick sometimes track owners and/or "promoters" lack common sense. Seems to be a lot of that in your neck of the woods.

And it seems that some delight in pointing out what they perceive to be those flaws, lack of common sense, etc., at every available opportunity.

Bashing series, tracks and officials of the various racing entities in Central/South Texas cannot be beneficial except to the egos of those taking the pot shots.

A much more productive way to behave would be to find constructive ways to contribute to the racing community instead of publicly critisizing those have taken the financial risk to keep racing alive in Texas.

Most promoters, operators and owners I know are very willing to listen to people who have concerns or suggestions on how to improve their organization. However, taking them to task in public forums does little to improve things.

Nick Holt

I will be the first to admit that it is much easier for the people on the sidelines watching to criticize those who are "in the ring, doing", but sometimes it seems like the promoters are "on the sidelines" also. There is a difference between nickle and diming someone over petty stuff and making the observation that the most basic actions aren't being done at all.

I will be the first to admit that it is much easier for the people on the sidelines watching to criticize those who are "in the ring, doing", but sometimes it seems like the promoters are "on the sidelines" also. There is a difference between nickle and diming someone over petty stuff and making the observation that the most basic actions aren't being done at all.

All the more reason why those of us who are able to see the "basic actions" that are needed to pitch in and help, rather than sit on the sidelines and take pot shots at those "in the ring doing."

When owners/promoters make decisions that impact others - either in a good way or negative way - quite often someone is on a forum telling everyone how it should have been done, how they would have done it, or worse. Wouldn't a better response be to personally contact those who actually made the decisions and express their concerns?

Getting on the forum soapbox and complaining might feel good for a while, but in the end is usually counter-productive.

Nick Holt

have no interest in running a track, nor will i cease to exist if the track shut down, but i do agree with brh...... the every other week thing isnt a bad deal, thr did the same thing this year and they are still around.......so i doubt going to an every other week schedule will shut the track down......but like it was said, if they alternate weeks with edna it would work out good for all of the drivers of both tracks......and with sts being relatively close for some of the dirt guys, a guy could race twice a week every weekend.........jmo

Archived