Birth of a Star? Bradley Riethmeyer

debwill

For those of you who may not get Speedway Illustrated, I thought I'd share the following comments that were included in an article about The All-American Driver Challenge entitled Birth of a Star? Maybe by Bones Bourcier that was pulished in the latest issue:

The Hickory finals were basic. In a morning session, each driver followed veteran open-wheeler Brad Noffsinger on an acclimation run; then each was given eight solo laps, pefect for seeing who could find speed quickly without getting over his or her head. In the afternoon came a more intense session in which each driver did 10 laps, had a short debrief with [bob] East and [Robbie] Ray, then ran 10 more.

In the end, the star of the show was 22-year-old Bradley Reithmeyer of Hutto, Texas. A late model champ, Reithmeyer had never driven an upright open-wheel car, but that hardly showed. After posting some of the morning's quickest times, he'd decided the car had "a half-second left in it." And he almost found it, improving the afternoon by a staggering four-tenths. The judges were suitably wowed.

"Bradley showed an extraordinary amount of talent," said East. "I was impressed how he dug down deep and performed when it counted"

The clincher came when the quiet, serious Texas A&M senior removed his helmet and, unaware that he'd just set a fast time, said confidently, "I think I could still find another tenth, probably two."

The job was his.

The Challenge certainly lived up to its goal of providing a boost to a deserving kid. Consider this: Back in Texas, Reithmeyer's late model sat race-ready, but money woes were jeopardizing his season. As he left Hickory, he was already figuring out how to transfer schools, and looking into living arrangements in North Carolina. One gets the feeling he might be there awhile."

Also included in the article was a picture of Bradley with the following caption, "When the 2006 USAC Ford Focus Midget Carolina/Virginia series opened in Kenly, North Carolina, Bradley Reithmeyer led every lap of the feature. Watch this kid."

Interestingly enough, one of the judges was Rick Benjamin from SPEED TV. I believe he's the same guy who was the SAS announcer many years ago during his stint as a sports reporter at KSAT.

It's great to see one of former URSA Super Late Model champions move on and being recognized on a national level. Congratulations, Bradley . . . wish you well with USAC.

It's funny that you mention the spelling of Bradley's name, Jason. I was thinking it was misspelled, but I found it hard to believe that Speedway Illustrated would get it wrong.

is that the one with the dirt late model on the cover, or is there another one that is newer..........i will look when i get home........i noticed robert barker's name in the speedway illustrated magazine as well when it had a list of the nascar sanctioned tracks and the different divisions............its good to see some local drivers names in the mags..........way to go guys, and thanks for posting this debbie.

Archived