MODIFIEDS 1500$ WIN HMP SATURDAY

awmhunter1

DUE TO PRIVATE AND RACER CONTRIBUTIONS THE HOUSTON MOTORSPORTS PARK IS RACING SATURDAY FOR 1500$$$$$$$ TO WIN PRO MODIFIED CLASS.... RULES ARE POSTED ON THERE WEBSITE, GATES OPEN AT 11:30 AM SATURDAY, DRIVERS MEETING AROUND 5:30 MODIFIEDS RACE AROUND 8. THERE IS AN OPEN PRACTICE FRIDAY. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS CONTACT THE TRACK!!

Heard last night there are 2 or 3 dirt cars planning to make the transition and start running HMP in this class.

And the HMP web site now says it's $2,000 to win this Saturday for 15+ cars ($1500 for 14 or less). So far this season 11 cars have been at every race and if the 2 or 3 from dirt show along with a couple others who knows --

If you have a mod sitting, consider this...

I was looking at the schedule and there are 3 HMP Mod races after this weekend, that is between now and the end of July. It's looking like two of those will probably be the normal $1000 to win deal (maybe more if the car count is up) and it sounds like one will be $2000 to win. If you add in this weekend at 2g's it could be 7000 in winners payout over the next 4 races!

That's a damn good payout if you ask me.

Especially when you figure you can probably run the same set of tires for all 4 races. Plus entry fee is only $50 bucks too.

It could get very interesting at HMP this summer... B)

Guest RandyBorlace

i got a hoover dirt mod for sale, can become an asphalt car fairly easy, i seem to remember some hoovers at SAS awhile back. PM me if interested, need to deal fast.

The roll-out is about the same. On our tires the a/rs right side largest size is 83 1/2 and the Goodyears rights are 83 3/4. Not sure what you are running on ride height but the 4" rule is without the driver.

Jason Ray #77

Smiley's Racing Products

870 SH46

New Braunfels, Tx. 78130

(830)626-RACE

Somebody finally pays the money that mods deserve and nobody wants to run. just like when Owen payed 2000 to win for mods at CC in November, 12 cars showed up. When the purse drops to 350 to win for mods we don't need to hear any whining.

dont like the crank hight rule or the tire role outs.im already close on rpm with the a/rs. frame hights also .hope yall have a good show.good luck to all!!!

It's my understanding that the crank/ride height rule was revised. I honestly can't remember for sure but I think they are going with crank height without the driver.

The two rules just didn't make any sense together, it's got to be one or the other so they listened and made the change.

If anyone has any technical questions, call the Track and get Randy Andersons number, He'll work with you, to get you legal to join the Pro Mods at Houston. He's one of the best Tech Dirs. in Texas! Largely responsible for the 400 PRO SLM Class at HMP.

Randy Anderson said they would try some stuff at Kyle, with both the Sportsmans, and the Pro, to allow the TSRS cars to run with the Sportsman, and the non-crate motors to run with the Pro LMs and still have everyone be competitive.

Randy Anderson, Jack Sandefeaur, The Bakers, The Naumanns, and Brian Callaway, are all about wanting to work together in helping racers giving places to race at both facilities in Kyle, and Houston.

Last night was fan count that we havn't seen in a while. Sure it was a little spread out, but we used to never get crowds like when a touring series wasnt at the track. But things are changing.

We (Eddy Wallace) raced the Pro Late Model class last night, along with Lloyd Alexander.

Randy Anderson mentioned his proposals during the tech inspection for allowing the non-crate engines to run.

He had some good ideas, and he listened to, and was very respectful, of our thoughts on his ideas.

As for the tires, they are an excellent race tire. The goodyear tire, whether the 10 inch Late Model or the 8 inch grooved Modified, is very consistent in the sizing and expansion. You don't get one tire growing 3/8th's while the next grows a inch or more. And the tires are marked on the sticker as to the size, measured at a certain psi. No getting a tire marked 84 1/4 and it sizing 86.

They race similar to the A/R's, but I think they have much better wear. Everyone we talked to says they will be faster the next time we race them.

On the racing side, both Eddy and Lloyd had to start in the back, as it was their first times there.

Eddy came up to finish second, and Lloyd 4th. Excellent showings for both teams coming from the rear on tires they had never raced before.

Tom is right; great racing in all classes and I've never experienced a track run so efficiently. We were finished at 10:00 PM - loaded and got home by 1:30 (3 hr tow). Randy A and track are definitely wanting to work with drivers and car owners to allow different types of cars to compete together. There were big motors, 2 barrel motors and crate motors in the Pro Mod class all on the same tire and all competitive. We ran our 2nd nite on the same tires and they were as good or better than the 1st. They are never as fast as Hoosiers, but they last longer. We may try running a 3rd nite on them (if you know us, you know that is saying something for the longivity of the tire - we never run more than 1 practice and 1 race on a set of tires). Sorry Tom, but AR's don't even deserve an honorable mention.

Pro Mods run at Kyle next week along with Pro LM. Sounds like CO OP ER ATION. hmmmmm, what a concept.

Tom is right; great racing in all classes and I've never experienced a track run so efficiently. We were finished at 10:00 PM - loaded and got home by 1:30 (3 hr tow).

HMP did a great job of getting the races done by 10:00 pm, but I have to disagree with you about great racing in all the classes. I personally don’t think it is an appropriate description of Saturday night’s races, unless great racing is watching a 50-lap heat race.

Although, Larry Schild did a great job in the sportsmen late models, last to first.

HMP is definitely taking steps to help racers and that’s a huge step in the right direction.

One last thing, it’s unfortunate that even with the $2,000 to the winner, more cars didn’t show up. I’d have to believe that they were concerned about future repercussion that they might incur, because of loyalty issues, but I could be wrong!!

Archived