CC SPEEDWAY

Hello,this is Carol Yocum,one of the owners of CC Speedway.There has been quite a discussion about the track since Sat.nights racing. I would like to clear up a few minor details. First I want to apologize to all the fans and drivers for the unusaual circumstances that took place.This by no means is our weekly racing format. We have the best fans and drivers of any track. We are very proud of our record.

This is to all that have a negative reply.If you are old enough to remmber the late 60's,70's and even the 80's.Back then racing was really different. When I say different some of the drivers were out for blood. They would see who they could take out just for the glory.They carried pipe wrenches,ect.anything that would put a dent in you head.You didn't stick your head in no ones car,period.These racers were the badest of the badest,but also the best of the best. If that makes sense.Back then going to the races were like going to the fights. You would see all the pit members go into the infield and get it on. I sometimes think the people enjoyed that more than the races!

Today you don't see that anymore and if you do the persons will be barred from the track,like what happened Sat.night. CC Speedway has come a long way over the last few year. We have greatly improved our racing program.Thats why we are still in business and might I add doing very,very well profit wise.

I really don't understand all the uproar over Sat. nights races.Other tracts don't have similar problems once in a while?

Greg Carlucci Jr. is one of the best of the best along with all our other drivers. Greg,just knows how to do it better than some . I can't remmber anytime one driver took out 15 other cars!!!!! Maybe you were thinking about Winston Cup races!!!! Not CC SPEEDWAY.

And by the way,Daniel Duncan did go to the hospital after his wreck and I checked on him and he is doing fine according to his brother, Sam Duncan.

Thanks for reading. See you at the races.

Carol Yocum

Carol,

Thanks for registering with the site and giving us your feedback. You are right. CCSpeedway has come a long way. A few years ago when it closed car counts were very low and now the car counts are excellent! The type of cars that run the weekly program are perfect for the current economic times. While I am too young to know about racing from the 60's and 70's I have heard stories about some of the brawls that used to go on. I agree that today this is uncalled for and any driver caught fighting should not be allowed back at the track whatever the reason is. Yes, Greg Carlucci Jr. is one of the front runners at CCSpeedway. He is fast every week and wins very often. I think that maybe the track should warn him about his rough driving. Saturday night I saw him fly through the field. When he went for the lead in turn 1 a lapper was on the bottom and he pushed the #33? up the track and nearly caused a huge incident in turn 2. I am glad everyone was able to gather back up. He had plenty of time to get by the leader and he was a lot faster. I was exagerating about the 15 cars being taken out. I have seen a fair share of cars taken out by him. I just want to see some good racing without a bunch of people leaving the track pissed off because someone who is a track champion could not use his head. The bomber class is where that wrecking belongs. I see G. B. Carter in his #77 VW dominate whenever he races and he doesn't have to wreck cars to do it. Thank you for the update on Daniel Duncan. Glad to hear that he is ok and hopefully he will be out there again real soon. Overall the show Saturday night was good. I got my money's worth and will be back when ROMCO returns in August.

Carol, I have some ideas that I think could do good for CCSpeedway. If you have any questions or would like to discuss these ideas send me an Email.

Thanks,

Jason

Carol,

As a racer I have been all over the country racing. Your track is a fun facility to drive and is also fast. What would be the chances of doing like Houston does and open the gates early, but not allow the track to be open. Being a driver the goes all over the state you like to get to the track early in order to set everything up. Nothing is worse than arriving to a track and having to wait in a line that is longer than a prison meal line. But all in all you have a good fan base and everytime I have been there the stands are packed. Thanks for giving me the time to puit in my two cents worth.

Carol,it happens at alot of tracks-people and drivers getting out of hand-some you just dont hear about-I just returned from Alabama and on the 12th of July, I was watching the news from B'ham on tv and saw the highlites of the Southern Allstars Late models and Truck race from B'ham Raceway and then the next story was from a track in Alabama where 2 drivers had an altercation on the track and after the races had ended- one of the drivers pulled a gun and shot and killed the other driver-the owner of the track had already left the track to go home and he said he got a call of a problem at his track and needed to return ASAP and when he arrived back at the track he was told a driver had shot and killed another driver over what had happened earlier in the evening on the track-this is racing at its worse-made me sick to my stomach-now some kid gets to grow up without a dad over some hotheads temper.

My goodness Tommy! That is a sad story. It breaks my heart to hear stories like that. It really breaks my heart to hear that racecar drivers could do that to each other. Yes I know, I have been to plenty of races to know tempers get short, but that is no excuse! I love car racing and I am a devoted fan, but that is just sick to know that a racecar driver would do such a thing.

Ashley

What is even worse about that story out of Alabama is the man shot was not one of the drivers. It was the step-father of one of them, and he came to the track only after hearing of the argument between his step-son and the other driver. The guy with the gun in his hand "feared for his life".

This happened at a track in Sayre, Alabama that is about the size of CC Speedway, a tight little 1/4 mile.

These tight tracks can be fun to race on, but you will have some contact.

Our tracks seem to have some racers that can't rub fenders without getting mad about it. I'm not talking about obviously knocking people out of the way. Those cars at CC go three wide sometimes on that little track, and there is no way they can do that without trading paint. If a particular driver can't handle that, he or she doesn't need to be out there.

To Carol Yocum-- You are absolutely right about CC today and the old days. I can remember knives taped to roll cages, chain boomers within reach on the trailers, and guns conveniently hidden in bib-overalls. Wasn't it Terry Labonte who carried mace in his driver's suit? Remember the police in victory lane?

Saturday night's incident was an unfortunate black-eye, but it in no way reflects the majority of the competitors in the Corpus area.

I get to Corpus about 6 or so times a year with ROMCO and TAMS, and while CC has it's share of driver arguments, it is a way, way tamer scene than it was in the old days.

Bringing up the old days is no excuse for what goes on now. All tracks have changed over the years and sports are not as violent as in the past. It's the tracks responsibility to control rough driving before it does cause an altercation. Ignoring the problem only makes it worse. You pointed straight to your favoritism when you stated that Greg just knows how to do it better than others. In other words, he knows he can hit them and get away with it.

Carol,

I appreciate your getting on here and sharing your perspective with us. As anyone who has been around racing for a while knows, there is always more than one perspective that is valid in any controversy.

I know when I was the Chief Steward at SAS I had to make some very difficult decisions regarding rough driving. Fortunately, I never had too much trouble since most of the drivers knew that I would not put up with it.

However, sometimes you just have to take the bull by the horns and take a stand. Fighting in the pit or stands should be delt with in the strongest possible ways. It is up to the track management to take strong action against those who fight, ram each other during cautions, after the race, etc. Otherwise, it just keeps getting worse and worse. I applaud any attempts you and Mr. Yokum have made to control unacceptable behavior.

Nick Holt

Guest CCPitboss

I am ultimately responsible for all the calls made at CC Speedway and feel we are as fair as we can be. We do make mistakes at time and we try to rectify them when we can. I do not play favorites to any driver and multiple drivers have been penalized for rough driving. But bumping is racing and on a small track such as CC Speedway it is going to happen. It is impossible to make a call that is going to satisfy everyone and I do not even try. I call what I see and when I am wrong I admit it and rectify it when I can. I treat everyone with respect and as fairly as possible. That is all I can do. Good luck to racers everywhere. Mike Creacy - CC Speedway Chief Steward

Archived