I-37 race recap, 5/20/06

NickHolt

For Immediate Release: May 20th - I-37 Race Results

Exciting Racing and Close Finishes Highlighted Friday’s Competition

by Bill Morris

Race Fans attending Friday’s Dirt Track action at the I-37 Speedway were treated to an evening of wheel to wheel racing. The first main event of the evening brought fans to their feet when Super Stock drivers Jamie Campbell, of Atkins, and Somerset’s Howie Marcx swapped the lead until the final lap when Campbell edge out Marcx by less than a car length to take the win. Poteet’s Abe Marnes Jr. finished a close third.

Campbell, who was doing double duty by driving two entries in two different divisions, lead the IMCA Modified feature for the most laps, but had to settle for fifth place at the checkered flag. Bobby Grobe, racing out of Corpus Christi, started at the rear of the pack and on lap 13 moved to the top spot ahead of Corpus’ neighbor Gary Perry and Victoria’s Micky Helms. In the IMCA Sports Mod racing it was Pleasanton's David Boggs taking top honors. Finishing in the runner-up spot was Port Aransas’ Steve Grantz ahead of San Antonio’s Robert Williams.

The Texas Outlaw Modifieds compete every other weekend at the I-37 Speedway, and Friday was their night to race at the ¼ mile dirt oval. The competition was a family affair when Herb Shaw took the checkered flag ahead of his son Brian Shaw. Rounding out the top three was Dennis Hilla. The top three were all from nearby Elmendorf. San Antonio’s John Nicks had race fans holding their collective breath as he tangled with the tire barrier sending him high in the air; he completed a pirouette on his grill before coming to rest on his wheels out- side of the racing surface. Nicks was not injured, but the wild ride ended his racing for the evening.

For the second week in a row, Poteet’s young Abe Marnes IV quickly made his way to the front of the Pure Stock Feature Event to win by over half a lap over “newcomer” Robert Danielson, of Borne, and Pleasanton’s Devin Adler.

If you are looking for affordable family fun spend an evening at the race track. The action starts every Friday night at 8:00pm at the I-37 Speedway. The Speedway is located on I-37 at the 101 mile marker.

Archived