I-37 Recap, 5/12/06

NickHolt

For Immediate Release – I-37 Speedway Race Results – Friday, May 12th

CLOSE FINISHES HIGHLIGHT FRIDAY’S RACING

by Bill Morris

Two of Friday night’s feature events went down to the final turn before a winner was decided. San Antonio’s Robert Williams waited until the final lap to make his run at leader David Boggs of Pleasanton. Boggs, who lead the majority of the laps, was able to hold off the hard charging Williams to win by less than a car length. Rounding out the top three in the Sports Modified feature event was Cibolo’s Darren Swartenberg.

Stock Car action was a family affair with Poteet’s Abraham Mares Jr. taking the top prize in the Super Stock Division ahead of New Braunfel’s Trey Votion and Seguin’s Patrick Kelly. Kelly’s third place finish stopped his feature win streak at two. In the popular “slam-bang” competition of the Pure Stock Division, it was Abraham Mares IV making it two wins for the Poteet based family racing effort. Following Abe IV to the finish line was Beeville’s Jimmy Sharon. Nathan Lorenz, of Lytle, returned to competition following a car fire last week to finish in the third position.

The highlight of the evening was aggressive driving of the IMCA Sunoco Modifieds. With heat winners assigned starting spots at the rear of the field, this race was exciting from the drop of the green. Victoria’s Micky Helms grabbed top honors when Comfort’s Chris Swenson spun into the infield off the final turn while leading on the final lap, this enabled Helms to take top honors. Finishing second was Shawn O’Bannon, ahead of Chris Carrol. Carroll, a heat winner, started at the rear along side the hard charging #8 of Kerrville’s Greg Dinsmore. Carroll was able to work his way into the top three finishers. Dinsmore retired with a flat tire after taking a wild ride along the tire barrier, a ride that showed the fans a vertical view of the car’s roof number.

The gates at I-37 will swing open again next Friday night, with the first green flag waving just after 8:00pm.All the fun and excitement of Dirt Track Auto Racing is at the Speedway located at mile marker 101 on I-37.

Archived