Romco crate motors?

jp17

At the coming Corpus Romco race one competitor will be racing with the HMS 350 horsepower GM crate engine under the hood. Prompted by a number of HMS weekly competitors posting qualifying times within a half a second of the pole at the last HMS Romco event, Graham Baker, owner of HMS, has opted to take his Romco engine out and race this coming weekend with the HMS crate engine instead. Might prove to be interesting. JP

There are motors readily available out of Mississippi with nearly 600 horsepower and more than 500 ftlbs of torque for less than $9000 dollars. They run bordix heads and intake and a 650 holley. A few more points. Those of you who allege that there are people currently running ROMCO who have no business there; would any of you care to name a few, even one. Also, I do not believe that 26-30 cars a show is considered a top notch field of cars. Maybe ROMCO needs to run a division which is by invitation only. Generally everyone now makes the show. There seems to be a lot of finger pointing. I agree the minimum weight should be lowered especially if the cars are to be called Super Latemodels. Muchs of the ability of the cars with the high dollar motors is restrictive because of tire rules. Right now it looks like as many as ten drivers have a pretty good thing going with ROMCO and may want to keep it that way. And if that is the case I don't really blame them but is that the answer to growing the sport. The best racing programs that have grown seem to stem from a program with few rules, much inovation and with few restrictions except money and ability.

Why blast an individual who chooses to try something new, pays the asking price, shows up and competes...for what ever reason. It would be different if there were various classes in ROMCO..but there aren't. Sure hope the show is on for this Saturday in Corpus.

I can name more than a few that dont need to be racing in the ROMCO series, but cant do it here. By the way, ROMCO is a Super Late Model Class, If you want to run a crate motor, go run a crate motor class. That is a great class in Houston. If someone pays the price, shows up and "COMPETES", that is great. If someone pays the price, shows up and screws up the show, that is another story.

I have been reading this thread for a while, and i cannot believe how people are so resistant to change. Dont get me wrong, i love watching the romco cars run, especially at cc speedway. They race hard everywhere they go, usually put on a great show for the fans and drivers. As far as someone wanting to sell a class, that may be, but what if he goes out and wins the race..........what would people say to that? If you look at any romco race at cc speedway, there are guys with non crate motors that get lapped numerous times, so whats the difference. It is bringing another car to the race, and if it works good, there could be alot more of those cars that start showing up. Car count goes up, more people come to watch because there is more cars, more people could mean more sponsors and so on. Even if he goes out and gets lapped 10 times, i have respect for that man because he stepped up to the plate, took a chance on what could be the future of short track racing across the country. How would we know if he didnt try it?

Big John

hubb44, Do you have any contact information on the crate engines in Mississippi? I did notice in Circle Track magazine a couple of months ago a Yates Late Model Crate engine with similar power for around $15,000. This engine however wasn't legal for ROMCO because it had an aluminum block.

Yes I do. the motors are SUPR and Southern Allsatars legal. The man's names is

Robert Brown of Brown Engineering of Abardeen Mississippi. 662-369-8108 oe www.dryslick.com He will build the motor, nearly race ready and prov ide4 dyno sheet as well as give you a list of references who have used his equipment very successfully. He has been at it for more than three years.

IN reference to the SUPR engines 1. these engines are not crate engines.2 yes they are very dependable. 3.This engine has been ran in ROMCO before and was competitive the motor came out of my car after a season on it and was ran in BUBBA NAUMANN'S car in S.A. 4. these engines are not really set up for the rules in ROMCO they are brodix 11s spread port head same as used in ASCS sprint cars and SUPR dirt late models max compression is 10.3 to 1, these heads are unported ALONG WITH flat top pistons with a brodix 1100 hv intake. they do not meet the 9to1 rule or the concept engine rules you have to run them as an open moter in ROMCO. 5 COST yes you can build one for $9000.00 BUT the guys that are runnig fast and winning races are spending about 18000 to 25000 on them, the 9000 dollar engine is built with eagle type rods and cranks.and cheaper parts i can tell you first hand that i know no one in either series ASCS or SUPR that is running the cheap version of this engine. They are dependable I have been running the same engine since 1996 [ yes the one in bubba's car] with only the normal freshen at the end of the year. These enginges will make between 550 and the most i've seen is 645hp thats by how much you rub on them that's also one reason for the price difference.The reason i know all of this i have ran with SUPR since 1996 and was one of the series sponsors and im a engine builder of many of these engines for both of the series .

I am not familiar with a ROMC open motor. Can you tell me the basic rules and weight requirements to run such a motor. I have looked at their rules a numbwer of times and saw no mention of an opem motor. I am anxious to hear. thanks

Archived