I-37 Speedway recap, Friday, 4/14/06

NickHolt

I-37 Race Recap, Friday, 4/14/06

by Bill Morris

Traditionally, a full moon at a race track is reason for extra excitement and last Saturday’s racing action at I-37 Speedway again proved that old full moon fable may be a fact.

The Pure Stock Feature brought the fans to their feet, when just past the half-way point, the leaders had an “insta-dent”. Pleasanton’s Devin Adler, trying to make it three wide on the front straightaway, cut a tire and went into the first turn sideways and out of control. Justin Henley, of Oak Island, drove up and over the rear of Adler’s spinning car. Adler’s problems continued when the car driven by Ronnie Frautschi had no place to go but into the side of the Adler car. The contact caused the Adler car to roll completely over, while Frautschi came to rest on his top. The drivers all walked away unhurt, but all of the race cars involved were towed from the track.

Thirteen entries took the Pure Stock feature green flag, but mechanical problems and accidents left only three to take the checkered flag. It must have been the full moon. Winning his first ever at I-37 was Paul Reyes, of San Antonio, followed by Rene Mares, also of San Antonio. Rounding out the three survivors was Canyon Lake’s Danny Hartsfield.

In other Stock Car action, Sequin’s Patrick Kelly led the field from the green flag to the checkered flag. Following Kelly to victory lane was Terry Votion, of New Braunfels and Howie Marx, of Somerset.

In the IMCA Modified feature event, “newcomer” John Heil, of Floresville, started at the rear of the field and moved past the complete field to take the lead on lap seven. Heil, who usually does his racing on the pavement, was able to hold off regular dirt drivers Micky Helms, of Victoria, and Billy Pittaway, of Corpus Christi, to take the feature win.

Fans and drivers will return to the ¼ mile dirt oval again next Friday night, with racing starting at 8:00pm.

Race Results

Pure Stock 20 lap Feature –

1st – Paul Reyes – San Antonio

2nd – Rene Mares – San Antonio

3rd – Danny Hartsfield –Canyon Lake.

Super Stock 20 Lap Feature

1st – Patrick Kelly – Seguin

2nd – Terry Votion – New Braunfels

3rd – Howie Marx – Somerset

Sports Mods 10 lap Feature

1st – MK Wallace – San Antonio

2nd – Darren Swatsenbarg – Cibolo