I-37 Season Opener Results, 4/7/06

NickHolt

For Immediate Release: April 7th – by Bill Morris (contact 512 914-5551)

Dirt Track Fans and Drivers Race Into the 2006 Season at the I-37 Speedway.

When the pit area at the I-37 Speedway opened, over 60 drivers, in five different divisions, were lined up to enter their cars to compete in the 2006 season. Last Saturday night the “green flag” waved over the season’s first racing program. The exciting competition of side-by-side racing again provided the fans with an evening of enjoyable and affordable family style entertainment.

Highlighting the evening’s action was the feature event for the IMCA Modifieds. Corpus Christi’s Steve Whiteaker Jr. was the event winner, but had to do it the “hard way”. Whiteaker was involved in an early race fender-bender that forced him to the pit area to inspect the damage. A trip to the pits placed him at the rear of the field when he returned to the track. From the “back of the pack” he was able to move around all the competitors, passing runner-up Chris Swenson, of Comfort, with just two laps remaining.

In other Modified action the Southern Sport Modified feature was won by David Boggs, ahead of Shiner’s Vince Loudon and Gonzales’ David Meredith. In the feature event for the Texas Outlaw Modifieds top honors went to Herb Shaw of Elmendorf followed by Gary Gyolia racing out of San Antonio.

In the Super Stock competition, Sheridan’s Scott Turner captured the checkered flag in the feature event with Howie Marx, of Summerset, taking second place. Feature winner in the Pure Stock division was Rusty Henley, of San Antonio, followed by Devine’s Royce Hawkins and Atkins’ Danny Schroat.

Action at the I-37 Speedway is scheduled for every Friday night, with racing starting at 8:00pm. The track is located on I-37 at the 101 mile marker.

RACE RESULTS – April 7, 2006

PURE STOCKS Heat #1

Position Car # Name Hometown

1 17 Devin Adler Pleasanton

2 60 Jimmy Scheanen Beeville

3 21 E. J. Bilben Corpus Christi

PURE STOCKS Heat #2

1 24 Paul Reyes San Antonio

2 73 Ben Reynolds Elmendorf

3 5 Justin Henley Oak Island

PURE STOCKS Feature Event

1 76 Rusty Henley San Antonio

2 68 Royce Hawkins Devine

3 57 Danny Schroat, Jr. Atkins

SUPER STOCKS Heat #1

1 84 Patrick Kelly Seguin

2 13 Howie Marx Somerset

3 11 Chris McLendon Atascosa

SUPER STOCKS Heat #2

1 8 Scott Turner Sheridan

2 99 Robert Martin Kerrville

3 14 Gary Hunter Elmendorf

SUPER STOCKS Feature Event

1 8 Scott Turner Sheridan

2 13 Howie Marx Somerset

3 99 Trey Votion New Braunfels

TEXAS OUTLAW MODIFIEDS Heat #1

1 3 Randy Miller Elmendorf

2 11 John Nicks San Antonio

3 5 Mark Allen Lawrence San Antonio

TEXAS OUTLAW MODIFIEDS Heat #2

1 7 Chris Snocker San Antonio

2 15 Brian Shaw Elmendorf

3 1 Herb Shaw Elmendorf

TEXAS OUTLAW MODIFIEDS Feature Event

1 1 Herb Shaw Elmendorf

2 55 Gary Gyolai San Antonio

3 5 Mark Allen Lawrence San Antonio

SOUTHERN SPORT MODIFIEDS Heat #1

1 6 Vince Loudon Shiner

2 36 David Boggs San Antonio

3 91 Steve Grantz Aransas Pass

SOUTHERN SPORT MODIFIEDS Heat #2

1 7 Mike Finkel San Antonio

2 15

3 1

SOUTHERN SPORT MODIFIEDS Feature Event

1 36 David Boggs San Antonio

2 6 Vince Loudon Shiner

3 79 David Meredith Gonzales

IMCA MODIFIEDS Heat #1

1 48 Chris Swenson Comfort

2 55 Danny Brown Corpus Christi

3 82 Rick Green Liberty Hill

IMCA MODIFIEDS Heat #2

1 174 Micky Helms Victoria

2 20 Bob Grobe Corpus Christi

3 35 Kurt Klegg San Antonio

IMCA MODIFIEDS Feature Event

1 89 Steve Whiteaker Corpus Christi

2 48 Chris Swenson Comfort

3 174 Mickey Helms Victoria

Found this on whowon.com, dont sound good for first night, thats the way the track allways was in the beginning, are they out of water?????

Went to I-37 speedway last night, or should I call it the dust bowl. It had to be in the worst condition of any track that I have seen in 25 years. It was simply unsafe. You would be hitting the back of a car on the backstretch and could not see them. Almost unbelievable. There were people leaving the track for no other reason than they feared t-boning someone in the fog. It was like trying to drive in thick smoke.Not to mention the 6 inch deep holes all over both turns, which really aint the uncommon,but in combination with not being able to see made for a wild ride if you hooked one in the smoke,fog,dust whatever.. The people in the stands were nearly all almost gone by the end of the feature mod race. The track promoter should be limping this morning from the hole he or she shot in their foot. Well good luck to you guys that have to run there, I feel for ya.. be careful and suck the belts down real tight, be sure to have a good airfilter..he he...

I talked to Ed after the race and he said he had problems with his water well running out of water...

It was definitely tough to see with all the dust on the track, but he did what he could with what water he had...He would have used more water if he had had it.

The car count seemed really good...all I can say is I will be there next week...and pray for some rain,,,we need it.....

99FORD SUPERSTOCK

Trey Votion

not to complain!!! but they sure need help with the p.a. system, it sucked. also in pure stock danny jr #57j came in second not third ,at least that's the money we got.as far as the dust, talked to the people at the mud race track on 1604 and they had the same problem ,and they watered a whole lot more. also it still sucked that frank was not their.

Archived