Purse Structure Philosophy

Pacecar

For special events, it seems to work well to advertise a purse that pays the lion's share to the winner. The promotor is able to advertise $xxxx for the winner, and this draws the racers and the crowds.

For the weekly racing, I believe that the emphasis on the purse should sustain a good field of cars to be able to afford to race every week. The payout from 2nd thru 10th become real important for the racer that wants to compete every week.

Looking at the purse structure for SAS, the Sportsman payout seems to encourage the weekly racing. Percentage-wise, the positions 2nd thru 10th earn more than the Late Model (which is heavily weighted to the winner).

http://www.sanantoniospeedway.com/driverarea

Years ago, I was able to say the following about the purses. "Third place - I broke even for the night; Second - I won a little money; First - I made some money racing; 4th or worse - I lost for the night".

So... what's the better purse structure for a weekly racing program? Is it really that important to place the bulk of the money towards first place?

My philosophy towards purse stucture is it needs to pay as far down as possible, not as far up as possible. You need a 24th place car a whole lot more than you need a 3rd place car. Getting that 24th car to come back week after week is a lot harder than getting a top 5 car to come back week after week.