Street Stock State Championship

MAN Racing Promotions

Press Office Phone (281) 482-6798

Press Office Fax (281) 648-4601

MAN Racing Promotions Offers State Championship for Street StocksBy: Pat Mayberry

Mary Ann Naumann announced on "The Motorsports Zone" that street stock

drivers in 2006 will have an opportunity to compete in a State Championship.

In an effort to offer drivers a chance for some additional racing and

travel, Naumann has set up a three race shoot-out to crown the state's top

street stock driver.

Naumann contacted Houston Motorsports Park owners Graham and David Baker

with the idea and they were very interested in being part of the short tour.

"This idea came about thinking the street stock drivers would be looking

for more than the regular eleven events scheduled at Thunder Hill Raceway

this year. With the fine facility of Houston Motorsports Park and the

Baker's, we will be able to offer driver's a few more dates and chance to

travel a little and compete for a State Championship," said Naumann. "These

races will be 50 or 60 laps and as sponsorship develops we hope to be able

to offer $1,000 to win at each of these events."

Only one date is firm right now, August 19th at Houston Motorsports Park. A

second date at HMP is being discussed and there is a possible road course

date also in negotiation. These additional dates will be released as talks

are finalized. For more information on the Texas Street Stock Championship,

please visit www.thunderhillraceway.com.

Keith, there are good reasons why you don't "tour" every class in racing, and particularly why you don't tour some of the lower classes. Recent experience has shown that touring classes with inexperienced drivers tend to cause problems.

I've even heard there should be touring hobby stocks. I don't think so.

That is not to say that a three race "Texas Championship" at, say, THR, HMP and one other track for Street Stocks isn't a great idea. It would give the drivers and crews a chance to try other tracks with lesser expense and effort.

Edited by tqj3

Keith, there are good reasons why you don't "tour" every class in racing, and particularly why you don't tour some of the lower classes. Recent experience has shown that touring classes with inexperienced drivers tend to cause problems.

I've even heard there should be touring hobby stocks. I don't think so.

That is not to say that a three race "Texas Championship" at, say, THR, HMP and one other track for Street Stocks isn't a great idea. It would give the drivers and crews a chance to try other tracks with lesser expense and effort.

TQ , i understand what you are saying, 5 ot 10 years ago i would agree completely , but today im not so sure , i think the level of skill among the drivers that would compete in such a series has accelled and that there are enough to possibly put on a series . Im not talking about every weekend, possibly once a month. a three race series will be kind of difficult cause if you are not in the hunt by the third race , why race. There are pro's and con's to the whole thing, i just thought it would be a fun idea, i dont expect it to happen.

Keith, if Mary Ann says she's going to do it, I'd bet it will happen, short of a lack of cooperation with the tracks. On the other hand, she could do it with just THR and HMP, and that should be doable.

I didn't mean there weren't very capable street stock drivers between SAS and THR (which is what we're talking about, since HMP hasn't had a street stock class), I'm just not sure there are enough good drivers to support a series. I think the street stocks are the best show in short tracks, and I'd like to see a lot more emphasis put on telling people about them, rather than moving them around.

Sounds like a great idea. Would like to see CCMS and SAS climb on board to make it a true "Championship". Maybe culminating (sp) in the final race at TWS.

I agree with TQ, If Mary Ann says it'll happen, then you can ink it in on the calender.

Mel