NASCAR Racing Kicks off This Weekend

For Immediate Release

Contact: Debbie Williams, San Antonio Speedway Public Relations, (210) 685-0400

Rick Day, San Antonio Speedway General Manager, (210) 827-4524

NASCAR Racing Action Kicks off This Weekend at San Antonio Speedway

San Antonio, TX (March 14, 2006) - All four classes in the NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series will begin their 2006 season on the high banks at San Antonio Speedway this Saturday night, March 18, starting at 7:00 p.m.

The NASCAR Late Model, Sportsman and Road Runner divisions will be back again this year, and a new class will make its debut at the speedway – the NASCAR Grand Stock.

Fans can expect to be treated to some of the fastest short-track racing action in the state of Texas with a repeat performance of the NASCAR Late Model Twin 50’s that was first introduced in the summer of 2005. “Although I’m new to San Antonio Speedway, I keep hearing about last year’s Late Model Twin 50’s races. So, we’ve decided to do it again,” stated Rick Day, San Antonio Speedway General Manager. Day continued, “And to make it even more exciting, we’re going to award full-purse payouts to the drivers in each of the Twin 50’s races.”

Several top-notch drives will be competing again this year in the NASCAR Late Model class, including Robert Barker, Joe Aramendia and Donny Horelka. Joining these veteran drivers on Saturday night will be Donald Pogue, who is 19-year-old rookie from Jourdanton, Texas.

Barker won the NASCAR Late Model championship last year and is planning to race a full season again during 2006. “I just lucked out last year, and I hope I can have another great year – by not wrecking my car or blowing an engine,” said Barker. “I do feel the competition will be a lot closer this year with the change back to the ten-inch tires, but we plan to focus our efforts on getting even better,” added Barker. He is also working on a USRA Super Late Model car and plans to race at least a couple of USRA races this year at San Antonio Speedway.

Newcomer Donald Pogue is a full-time student at the University of Texas in Austin, which means he will have to change his focus from school to racing on weekends. Although Pogue has never raced before, he hopes to learn a lot from his dad and grandfather who have racing backgrounds. Pogue took his first hot laps around San Antonio Speedway a couple of weeks ago – something he’s dreamed of doing since he was five years old. “I got pretty excited and it felt much faster than I ever thought it would be,” said Pogue. “I really appreciate that my dad has given me this opportunity to race.”

The weekend’s action will get started on Friday, March 17, with an open practice set for 6:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. Grandstand admission for this practice session will be free for spectators.

On Saturday, the pit gates will open at 1:00 p.m., with practice sessions scheduled to begin at 3:00 p.m. and qualifying set to take the green flag at 6:00 p.m. The racing action will begin promptly at 7:00 p.m., starting with heat races and followed by feature events. Topping off the evening will be a long-awaited 100-lap Enduro race for the Grand Stocks.

Admission for Saturday’s events is $15 for adults, $10 for seniors and Military (with ID) and $3 for children ages 7-12. Children six and under are admitted free.

San Antonio Speedway is located 3.5 miles south of Loop 410 on Texas Highway 16 towards Poteet. For more information about San Antonio Speedway, call SAS General Manager Rick Day at 210-827-4524 or call the SAS race hotline at 210-628-1499.

The San Antonio Speedway website can be accessed by clicking on the following link: San Antonio Speedway Website.