race for pennies

thumper

I thought now was a good time to review the easiest way to get into and stay involved in racing for those not familiar with Thunder Stocks.Heres the recipie.This is a good class for members of existing teams,wives,children of racers,newcomers,broke people (me ),old people ( me ) or people who want to race Sat nite but not spend all week working on a race car. (me again ) First,go to a City Impound auction,a used car dealership,junkyard,or somebodys back yard and find a running 4 cyl car of your choice,American or Import.Make sure it runs and the trans works.Stay away from rusted out cars.Dents or interior doesnt matter.Take it home and remove all items not necessary to make it run.Be careful with wiring and computers,you will need to keep it a running car.Find someone to make a 3 point rollover bar.Any welding shop and most muffler shops can do this cheaply.Do not remove any structural steel from doors.Buy a 14" by length needed to go past drivers door on both sides 1/4 inch thick plate of steel and bolt it to the door and door jams to be a skid plate and driver protection.If car has a bench seat,replace it with a bucket ot racing seat.Add a set of racing belts and a window net along with a fire extenguisher,3 or 4 small round bars ( all thread will work ) in front of the driver in the windshield aera.Make a couple of hood pins from bolts and R clips and you have an entry level Thunder Stock you can start fixing up a little at a time while being an active racer.I knew many people who have raced this kind of car and dont have more than a simple box of hand tools.Many never unloaded the car between races.Anyone who cant campain one of these cars will never race.When the car count gets to over 20 cars this kind of racing is just as exciting as a modified race for the driver.The # 6 that finished 3rd Sat started as one of these and is over 10 years old.Its a good way to keep team members happy and involved without the expense of another modified,limited or big stock car.They run on pennies,a couple of gals of gas and occasional good used tire. A little paint and you have a team car.A couple of barely mechanics can make one in a weekend.Nows the time,the purse is good.Quit looking through the fence at the track and look through the windshield.Be involved.If anyone has questions about plate cars,ask any Thunder person or call me at 956-357-0477 to get started.It dont get no easier.Thanks for your intrest,G.B.Carter,# 77 Thunder :)

The fuel tank in your neon is plastic and it is under the back seat of the car. Its in a pretty safe place. Put a piece a sheet metal under it to protect it from the under side. You can also mount the stock fuel pump in a fuel cell I have done this before. I mounted it in the gas cap location and then put jet ski gas cap off to the side to put gas in the tank. Its kind of tricky I made two metal rings, one from the bottom and one from the top to clamp the stock fuel pump assembly to the fuel cell so it mounts just like it does in the stock fuel tank. I hope this helps, Neon Will

Owen told me he was going to allow the factory tanks mounted under the back seat to make the fuel pump thing easy.Only the plastic tanks need a skid plate on the bottom side to protect the bottom from debries so as not to puncture a hole.I dont know what size but similar to what fuel cells use.You should confirm this with Owen,I have no authority at the track. Thumper

Archived