Who, Where, What?

Flyin34

Thats right Nick. Johnny White. The car was a rear steer car and the clutch blew up. The motor mounts broke and the motor fell on the drag link. So the car would not turn. He hit that wall really hard and was like 25FT. in the air. But he lived to race again! :D

Look at the two guys standing to the left of the car. The one furthest to the left is Jeff Garvin he is the TSRS photographer not many people know that he is from Corpus Christi but he is. The one closest to the car is a young skinny John Heinaman. That was a couple of tacos ago. ( hello Welocome to McDonalds May I help you)

That was when the pits were on the other side. My dad used to park right there on the wall. Johnny flew over the heads of my dad and Billy and everyone else that was there, hit the ground rolled a couple of times, and landed on Robert Ponce's trailer. That is the way I was told it happened. I was just a kid, but I had a good view from the stands. Johnny hit the wall, launched about as high as the top of the telephone pole, and then went out of sight.

There is Johnny on the other side of the car with the cigarette. That is why you build a safe car.

The second photo is Kendall Laughlin Jr. on his side up against the wall. I'm not sure who's trunk we are looking at. As it was I think the car in front spun with Kendall on the outside with no room, he was able to continue but was not as fast. I remember watching the crew remove the cars and I thought to myself "better him than me" well after the restart, and about 5 laps it was my turn, up on the side and sliding down the backstretch. After that I never ever made any more comments or had any more thoughts like that.

It was kinda ironic that the Miller High Life car and The Miller Lite car both got turned in the same fashion. Those were the days!!!

Archived