Chryslers

see86go

I also have photos of a few Chrysler products that ran at PAS and in Austin. This is James Crawford's Barracuda. I believe he won a feature in Austin with this car.

7-crawford.jpg

I know I have a couple of photos of Pat Chandler, I just need to find them.

Some of you old timers may remember that Jerry Grant had a nickname--"pumpkin".

That number 4 car is the reason.

What happened is Jerry bought that car from someone up in one of the Northern Midwest states. When the guy described what all came with it, he listed off springs, shocks, swaybars, and about a half dozen pumpkins. Well Jerry took it all in like he knew what the guy was talking about, and they agreed to a sale. Jerry then went to his old friend Lee Machen, and told him about the sale, and then asked rather sheepishly: "what did the guy mean by pumpkins?"

Thus, the nickname. And for those of you reading this, wondering what the hell a pumpkin on a racecar is, it is another name for a third member, chunk, rear gear, etcetera.

When Jerry bought this car, he sold an old one to James Crawford, and I believe it is the #7 pictured at the top of this post. That Capitol Welding on the fender of that car is "Moose" Bowen, the longtime track welder, and a character worthy of a complete thread by hinself.

I hope more than just me are copying and saving this stuff to some CDs. This stuff is unbelievalby valuable and getting more so every day.

I've got a bunch of old pics too. Maybe one day I'll find the time to scan a bunch of them to add to the collection.

Like Tom, I have a few tales to tell, but most of the folks involved are still living and some are even still married. No sense in getting my old friends in trouble at home... LOL

Nick Holt

• 1 year later...
I also have photos of a few Chrysler products that ran at PAS and in Austin. This is James Crawford's Barracuda. I believe he won a feature in Austin with this car.

7-crawford.jpg

I know I have a couple of photos of Pat Chandler, I just need to find them.

Craig - I remember win Jim drove this Barcuda when it was a jade color or aqua blue. He was unbeatable in this rig. Was this in about '72? Awesome phot - thanks for sharing it!

Craig - I remember win Jim drove this Barcuda when it was a jade color or aqua blue. He was unbeatable in this rig. Was this in about '72? Awesome phot - thanks for sharing it!

I think this was in 1973, when they went to 10" tires.

I think this was in 1973, when they went to 10" tires.

What an era....and I think the color of his vehicle was turquoise....with the blue flames from his tail pipes...

Archived