BBS cancels practice and postpones opening

dancer52

that would be nice to see , but it dont give any of the drivers the time to get ready to race by the fourth and no practice for that night their would not be any drivers to race . so it would be in the best for bbs to do things wright the the first time .

jcleaver17,

I thought that was the actual plan. Last we heard, Paul Miller was going to get a crew of 15 - 20 men out there and strip off the rotten grandstand lumber and install new lumber in plenty of time for the July 4th opening. For some unknown reason, the place has been strangely without any activity at all for the past week or two. I hope everything's OK with Mr. Miller.

Nick Holt

I wouldnt be suprised if this whole deal fell through. It really does not look good on M. Millers part for this to be happening. Im sure that if he really wanted it done, that he could have had them done a month ago by his 15-20 man crew. If he was smart, he would have just planned the grand opening until the beginning of next season, that way there would be no excuse whatso ever why it could not be opened. that is plenty of time to do any and all improvements that are needed.

-JC

I'll see if I can get ahold of Sam Hill and see what's happening. That is not cool what they did about the grandopening it is hard enough to get time off in the first place. I pulled some strings and got the night of the 4th off. Now I'm not sure if I'll make the grand opening when ever it is. I'll let you know what I find out.

Doing things wright (right) as mentioned in an earlier post would include keeping the public informed!

I spoke with people this weekend that were involved with the BBS that were not sure what was going to happen. :(

okay, I got an update from a source that is only about 50% accurate but it matches some of the other things that I've heard about BBS. Take it as you will:

There were two main problems with the opening of the speedway.

# 1 The electricity. The city of Austin has shut down the speedway so that it can update its electrical system. On a personal note this doesn't come as a surprise because I heard from another source that the track would lose some of it's "grandfathered" clauses in the event that it was not continuesouly (SP?) in operation from year to year. The only thing it wouldn't lose is the sound ordinace b/c of the airport.

#2 Insurance. the Insurance co will not insure the track until all of the work is complete. Now with the problem with the electricity that might slow things down. I also heard that the whole place needed to be redone. The track, pressbox, stands, pitgates, the whole nine yards to get the insurance in place.

I hope that the track will open but it going to take a lot of red tape to happen. Now maybe that Mr. Miller has more time maybe he could try and make a few omprovemnts based upon the competitor's/fans sugestions. Then again he is spending his money and will do what he wants to. I'm sure that this open a whole cans of worms but as it was stated in another thread even if part of the post is right it is still more than we knew before it was posted.

jcleaver17,

This information is from the Bad Boyz website:

Mary Miller: Marymiller13@aol.com -- (512) 243-9500 or (512) 243-9600

[Contact information for Wayne Walker removed at his request, 7/1/03]

Nick Holt

Well, it's not like we haven't seen this before in local racing, huh, gang??

Even Texas TracGroup, which I genuinely thought had all their ducks in a row...well, there's still Donald Teague trying to keep it afloat, but that's not looking great at the moment..

And who knows..maybe BBS and/or TracGroup will come back and get running...However, for now...

Just a couple more "local racing failed ventures" to throw on the scrap pile..

JR,

I have attempted several contacts as well with no responses. As Chuck says, maybe things will go better for BBS in the future. Let's hope so.

I have lots of fond memories of that place from the Paramount Speedway, Austin Speed-O-Rama and Longhorn Speedway days and would really like to see it come back strong.

Nick Holt

Sounds like the BBS is in for alot of red tape to get this track going and will probably encounter many more issues as it begins to operate. I am not an expert by no means in that area and any ordinances that may restrict its operation. It almost seems that it would be easier to have started from the ground up in an outlying area. Since the track has not operated in a while, I believe they are going to find that the neighborhood changed and may not be willing to listen to Friday night racing in their living rooms. You've got to do your homework before you jump in with both feet. Look at the issues THR struggles with over noise issues alone. I will be surprised to see the track open any sooner than 2004 if then. If communication continues as it has, the track will open and no one will even know it. Just my .05 worth! Whats that smell? ;)

Don't want to sound negative, as I have always had a soft spot for this track, but I drove by it earlier this afternoon on the way to Special, and the only thing I could see that has been done is a front gate and a new lock on the pit gate. The grass has been mowed in the last month or two, but I didn't see a thing else that made me think it has a chance of opening anytime soon.

The stands and buildings look untouched.

I ain't holding my breath.............

Archived