Racing at THR 6/28

Truck99

For anyone who missed out on the Street Stock feature Saturday night, you definately missed out on one of the best (craziest) races I've seen out there. 20 cars started the feature, and they were three wide on the first lap and several laps thereafter. I've never seen cars going three wide on that track that often in one race. I'm glad Jim Teague and Doug Ripple are OK - they got together going into turn 3, and ultimately Ripple ended up climbing Teague's trunk and going over on his lid. The action didn't stop there - again the field was going 3 wide down the front straight and through turns 1 and 2. I know Cary didn't care for it much because he got stuck on the outside every time, but it was one of things that was fun to talk about once it was over! :D

I hope some of you THR "one groove" critics got to see that action. ;)

Good luck to everyone next week,

Chase

when people are referring to it being one groove, we're talking about the late-model classes. TSRS, ROMCO. It was great for the street stocks and one hell of a effort.

Chase,

You are so right. It was an exciting race. I too am glad the two drivers are a ok.

21 cars started that race and made it oh so exciting for the fans.

Brian and myself couldn't help it, but had to give Chuck a hard time about that 2 and 3 wide racing. LOL

Anyway it was some great racing by our drivers last night.

:)

Krusty,

You're right about that. I said several months ago in a similar discussion that tracks like THR are great for the local classes. I agree that you don't see nearly as much passing with the ROMCO cars. However, my opinion for the cause of that is with the inverts - or lack thereof. The street stocks start with the entire field inverted by points average on most nights. I think if you started the ROMCO field like that, you would see much more passing. That said, I'm not recommending that - just making a hypothetical comparison. On the night when the streets start "heads up" by qualifying times, the race is commonly caution free, involves very little passing once they are single file, and is probably more boring from the spectator's point of view. (I'm not complaining about the monthly time trial nights - they are usually relatively stress-free for a crew chief.)

So is the track to blame or the invert method?

Chase

chase, that was one of the best races ive seen all year. the heat races were awesome too. cary did an awesome job saving his car several times. I hope doug ripple can get back out again this year. The late model race was pretty good too, with reeder having to come back from a flat tire.

Big John

Damn it ss99 thats an outstanding question.

I can just give you the things i notice with the cars that are involved with late models basically, because that's what my main job is to pay attention to. You invert the whole field in TSRS so to speak becuase thats wher your hard ass late models are. You are going to penalize the top guys in the series for being quick and having a good qualifying setup. If you invert the whole field though you will have passing at the back, becuase until you get to the top 12 cars everybody is slow as can be. So who's really to blame i guess nobody will ever be able to point there finger. I mean c'mon though if you addes some extra ashpalt on the backstretch it would be a whole lot more interesting for these late models. Just the best cop out i can give right now, let me know your opinion, because i know everybody would love a little bit, but i guess we aren't the one's spending the money. Great race though again.

Been out of town at the coast for a couple of days.

Big John - thanks for the compliment. I fought a top end miss in the car all day Saturday and wasn't sure if I had it fixed going into the feature. Fortunately, the last effort before the feature fixed it, so it was a relief to see the car running well.

Krusty - your points about the invert are right on. I used to talk to Brian Callaway about the invert because I hated starting at the back every week. His position is that it makes for a better race for the fans. As time passed, I've started to understand and respect that position more. A track owner has to do what he/she thinks will make for an exciting show. I like the current system wherein we are allowed to qualify for position on a rotating basis. At least that gives us the opportunity to start up front around once a month.

I still think the whole field invert penalizes the guys who work hard to make their cars fast and rewards the ones who don't, but I guess this is just one of those "necessary evils."

cs

Actually, it's not a necessary evil. Promoters just take the easy way, penalizing the fast drivers rather than looking for other ways to make the racing interesting. But what good does it do to put the fast cars at the back on a one-groove track?

tqj3,

If the Street Stocks can run three wide and have the fast cars come all the way from the back to win races, then THR is not a one groove track, at least for the Street Stocks.

Nick Holt

Nick,

I think tqj3 is just trying to poke at me a little bit. It's OK, I can take it. As long as we can use the second groove to gain spots, what else matters? :P

I'll say this though - the "third" groove just wasn't there Saturday night! :lol::lol::lol:

cs

Archived