Jay Watson

hubb44

I was noth there Saturday night but one of the first things I heard when my friends got home was that Jay Watson was there and he "was coming," and was taken out in an unfortunate and unnecessary incident near the end. Someone fill me in in. i ALSO AM TOLD THAT THE $18 GENERAL ADMISSION WAS WORTH THE SHOW IN THAT YOU GOT TO SEE THREE FIRST CLASS TOURING SERIES ON THE SAME SHOW, SOMETHING NOT SEEN TOO OFTEN ANY WHERE AROUND HERE, EXPECIALLY ON THE SAME NIGHT.

There is a report of the ROMCO event at THR by J.M Hallas in the Press Releases and Results section entitled, "ROMCO Results from THR 6-21-03, 3 in a row for Wallace"

I believe the Watson incident is briefly described.

Nick Holt

Hubb44-

Jay is a close friend of mine. I talked to him at length after the race, no one took him out. On a restart, Eddie Butt spun and they went yellow real fast. Everyone checked up, and Jay got himself cross-ways trying to avoid it, and spun into the wall driver side first.

No real damage other than wheels, etc. In his own words "His reflexes ain't as quick as they used to be." (I'm always getting on him about his age, although we're only 2 years apart)

He did have a decent run going up to that point, but no one took him out.

Thanks for the information. It is always good to hear another side of any incident. We have followed Jay since his trips to Mobile Ala and Pensacola Fl when very few Texans visited All Pro land except maybe for the Snowball. My friends seem to feel that anything that cause jay not to be the winner could in most cases not be his fault. It the old days it was Kelly and Rapp but we can all remember a few times in Corpus when Watson was the show. Thanks again for the info.

Hubb-

Sounds like you've been around this stuff long enough to remember that Slick Yoemans was the all-time TIDA winner, but not a lot know Jay was second on that list. I think Slick's total was about 27 or so, Jay was around 17. I think someone posted these totals a few months ago on this site.

On the flip side Jay and the West Texas guys have a lot on their plate in recent months, with the loss of John Foster and Gary Rogers, who was John David's right hand man for 20 years or better.

I go back to eight years before the first Snowball way before we moved to Texas. Could tell a whoe buch of been "there, done that." I was impressed by Jay from day one, not only his driving but his complete carmanship from bumper to bumper. Once saw Jay start last and win or fionish second in Corpus. (cant remember)

Thanks for the respons

Archived