Final Points Night @ I-37 Speedway, 10-3-20

Final Points Night @ I-37 Speedway, 10-3-20

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton TX.,(Oct. 3Rd, 2020) Final points night, full moon, what could go wrong?

The regular I-37 Speedway comes to an end tonight with three of five regular class points races(USRA Limited Modified and Factory Stocks, Late Models) up for grabs, sort of. Plus after a one-two finish by Steve Whiteaker jr and Johnny Torres last race the 'Bounty' was still up for grabs with an addition $100 added and another $100 for anyone winning as a first time visitor.

The IMCA points chase ended last race with Chris Carroll taking the track championship ahead of Rick Green, Robert Liese jr, Ryan Doyon and Johnny Melancon.

In USRA Tuners, a national points event in Iowa this weekend ended the track points season for them giving Brian Schoenbaum the title over Jamie Garner, Brandon McCall, Adam Tracy and Adolph Tracy. Schoenbaum, who also leads the USRA National Points, is attending the USRA Nationals in Webster City, Ia.

USRA Limited Modifieds have Johnny Torres with an untouchable lead over Ryan Doyon, Talon Minten, Sterling Tausch and Robby Minten. Torres is currently third in USRA National points with another south Texas area competitor, Jared Maupin fourth on the national list.

The Late Model points shake out with Frank Okruhlik coming into the night with a big enough lead to secure the track points race ahead of Landon Sowder, Howie Marcx, Trey Votion and Aaron Driscoll.

The only points race up in the air is USRA Factory stocks, but by making lap in the heat race, Josh Sewell will lock up that championship. Mike Lyon, Michael Keylich, Dustin Hurley and Jesse Sandoval complete the top five.

Maupin Grabs Modified Money

As green waved on the IMCA Modified field Robby Minten and Jared Maupin stayed wheel to wheel through turns 1-2. R. Minten finally secured the spot to lead lap 1 chased by Maupin, Ryan Doyon, Talon Minten and Chris Swenson. Chandler Fox spun in turn 2 which was a break for R. Minten who also looped it seconds later in turn 4.

On the restart Maupin, Doyon and Swenson were nearly three wide for second. By lap 5 R. Minten had starting to gap Maupin, while Swenson kept the pressure on Doyon for third. At halfway it was R. Minten, Maupin, Doyon, Swenson and T. Minten. Maupin changed his line and began making up distance on R. Minten for the lead.

Maupin caught R. Minten using the middle line as R. Minten stayed on the top. Maupin showed the nose a couple times through the corners and R. Minten made a mistake going around in turn 4 again on lap 12. This put Maupin in the lead for the restart that saw Swenson get past Doyon for second.

That left Doyon three wide with Rick Green and T. Minten. A late spin by Landon Bednarz rebunched the field, but Maupin(College Station) got away quickly to half straightaway advantage as he went on to the checkers in his BMF Shocks & Chassis, Rick Pollaro owned, crate powered, Longhorn Chassis.

5f7a3fab62064__JRP1237(1024x683)(2).jpg.c8640f320625c329fc83e097f67db8c9.jpg

This makes up for last weekend,” said Maupin. “It's a great way to top things off. We knew we had to fix some mistakes and clean up things. This made up for everything. This car has been good off the bat since Rick Pollaro bought it from Dillon Tindall. Our driving styles are different so we did a little tweeking to suit my style. It's been a good piece.”

The track was tricky. We were hunting the top. Once I reeled him in I wanted to show myself and see if he'd make a mistake. I you showed him the nose enough times, that he did.”

I couldn't tell if I was over driving or the track going away. I was having to search around to find the groove the car felt better in. I knew if I could catch Robby that someone might find a better line than I did to catch me.”

Simpson Racing Products IMCA Modifieds

91 Jared Maupin, 83 Chris Swenson, 82 Rick Green, 5r Ryan Doyon, 14t Talon Minten, 24r Robby Minten, 77 Robert Liese jr., 419 Johnny Melancon, 16 Landon Bednarz, 53x Chandler Fox

IMCA Modfied heats

Heat 1; 91 Jared Maupin, 14t Talon Minten, 83 Chris Swenson, 77 Robert Liese jr., 16 Landon Bednarz

Heat 2; 24r Robby Minten, 5r Ryan Doyon, 82 Rick Green, 53x Chandler Fox, 16 Landon Bednarz

Whiteaker With the Win

As the 20-lap USRA Limited Modified feature fired off it looked like Edward Oakes might be taking home the bounty money. Oakes was first to turn 1 trailed by Johnny Torres, JJ Jennings, Steve Whiteaker and Dustin Butcher but a spin by Gary Hall restacked the field. On the restart Jennings took third from Torres as Whiteaker began challenging Oakes for the lead.

The two were side by side, while Jared Maupin got by Butcher and Anthony Gordon for fourth. Jennings top three run ended on lap 6 when he slowed and stopped. After another quick spin and caution, Whiteaker was looking low on Oakes for the lead while Torres was trying the high side on Whiteaker for second.

At the crossed flags it was Oakes, Whiteaker, Torres, Maupin and Gordon in the top five with Butcher, Ryan Doyon and Heath Stewart three wide for sixth. Oakes missed the top line and gave Whiteaker an opportunity to close in and get inside. Two laps later Oakes again missed the exit off the top and slapped the front stretch wall.

This gave Whiteaker the opening to take the point on lap 17 as Oakes stopped for a late caution. Whiteaker got away clean on the restart while Maupin and Gordon battled for third. At the checkers it was Whiteaker(Robstown) taking his third win in row in the D&SS Construction, First Class Towing Service, Parker Lee Project, Cottrell Racing, South Texas Speedway, Churches Chicken, G&M Oilfield Services, WW bodies, Dark Horse Racing Shocks, Best Race Engines, Innovative Chassis.

5f7a3fd244c38__JRP1084(1024x683)(2).jpg.29c7fbe4ef0fa15b0791bebde61b11b3.jpg

I don’t think I could have passed Edward(Oakes) if he didn’t make that big mistake,” replied Whiteaker. “Turns 1&2 we’re just too fast up top. At the end I felt my car was faster than his but passing him was going to be a different story.”

Our best engine has been put to the rest this year at I-37 with the hammer down tracks that’s for sure. It just feels good to race again. I hardly raced any in 2018 and 2019. That’s three in a row, five wins and two 2nds out of seven starts. I can’t thank all my sponsors enough!”

Congrats to JT on his championship and also congrats to Milton Hope on is retirement from successful career in race track announcing.”

Swenson Racing Products USRA Limited Modifieds

89c Steve Whiteaker jr. 66 Johnny Torres, 22m Anthony Gordon, 96 Jared Maupin, 90 Dustin Butcher, 14h Heath Stewart, 71 Robert Stewart, 31L Sherrill Lewis, 7 Kevin Parker, 95 Sterling Tausch, 3g Gary Hall jr., 99 Edward Oakes, 24r(2) Talon Minten, 5r Ryan Doyon, 11x Brian Harbison, 26g JJ Jennings, 24r Robby Minten---dns

Limited Modified heats

Heat 1; 99 Edward Oakes, 66 Johnny Torres, 26g JJ Jennings, 5r Ryan Doyon, 14h Heath Stewart, 7 Kevin Parker, 71 Robert Stewart, 3g Gary Hall jr.

Heat 2; 90 Dustin Butcher, 89c Steve Whiteaker jr, 22m Anthony Gordon, 96 Jared Maupin, 24r Robby Minten, 95 Sterling Tausch, 11x Brian Harbison, 31L Sherrill Lewis

Hardage Hustles to Late Model Loot

The Late Model feature started with Frank Okruhlik getting to turn 1 first securing the 2020 track championship with Kody Hardage, Jason Kelly, Trey Votion and Alton Fambro in pursuit. Jamie Campbell broke and slowed for a quick yellow. Back to green Kelly and Hardage were door to door for second.

Coming to midway it was Okruhlik, Hardage looking inside, Kelly, Votion and Landon Sowder in the top five. Just as Hardage got along side Okruhlik, Kelly looped it for a lap 12 yellow. Once back to green, Hardage got a run off the top of turn 2 to get the lead on lap 16.

Kelly was quickly working his way back up going past Fambro and Sowder for fourth. Up front it was now Hardage(Seguin) inching away from Okruhlik and going unchallenged for the victory in his Billy Bobs Repair and Tire, Lonestar Pressure Equipment, Swenson Racing Shocks, Carroll Construction, Precision Welding, WRP Racing Products, All in Designs, GM crate powered Longhorn Chassis.

Frank(Okruhlik) was good on top,” said Hardage. “I was good up top too, but couldn't drive through him. When I tried the bottom he was faster than I was. I sent it in there a couple to hope he would see me and move, he did. I took advantage of that.”

We've raced together so I figured he'd try to protect once he saw me. I didn't know if it would stick down there. It stuck enough that he could see me. Sometime running a limited schedule I'm a little rusty. Tonight I was. This is the best the car has ever been. We finally got it freed up enough to run the top.”

These cars are a lot of work. Every nut and bolt gets checked between races, make sure everything is still in the right place, nothing is worn out. It's almost another full time job.”

Nogalitos Gear Late Models

12 Kody Hardage, 99f Frank Okruhlik, 99 Trey Votion, 57 Jason Kelly, 08 Landon Sowder, 108 Alton Fambro, 95s Jeff Markert, 13 Howie Marcx, 29 Jamie Campbell, 53x Matt Fox---dns

Late Model heats

Heat 1; 99f Frank Okruhlik, 57 Jason Kelly, 108 Alton Fambro, 08 Landon Sowder, 95m Jeff Markert

Heat 2; 93 Jamie Campbell, 12 Kody Hardage, 99 Trey Votion, 13 Howie Marcx, 53x Matt Fox

Hessong Hangs on for Factory Stock Score

The normally wild and crazy USRA Factory Stock feature was no exception as nearly all of the top five points contenders suffered problems at one time or another during the 20-lap event, that actually made it all the way for a change.

GW Hessong led the 23-car field into turn 1, but it was Johnny Torres getting the lead off turn 4. Behind him, Hessong, Dustin Hurley, Wade Jones and Mike Lyon fell in line. In the pack Michael Keylich went around collecting Jacob Burnett, Jerry Miller, Frank Okruhlik, Clint Montanio and Aaron Leddy. Another spin by Kasey Krauss on the restart was a near miss by the field.

Dustin Hurley was next to be bitten by the contenders curse spinning from third. This left Hessong, Jones and Riley Heil now three wide for the second spot. Hessong got by Jones low for second with Heil still looking up top and Dillon Gaither getting fifth from Robert Kelm. Points leader, Josh Sewell had his trouble on lap 6 going around and collecting Anthony Gordon.

On the single file restart Hessong was looking up top on Torres for the lead with Gaither taking fourth from Heil. Hessong got the lead on lap 8 with Ray Doyon, John Lieta and Jesse Sandoval three wide for sixth. At the mid point it was Hessong, Torres, Jones, Gaither and Heil in the top five. While battling for fifth Heil and Ray Doyon made contact with Heil going around on lap 15.

Coming to green on the restart the pack stacked up in turn 4 collecting Doyon, Lieta and Mike Lyon. As green flew again, Torres gave Hessong, who was now showing some smoke, a look inside with Allen Alexander moving up to fifth. Gaither got a run on Jones to grab third with three to go, taking the spot.

Gaither then moved in to battle with Torres for second with two to go. This gave Hessong, still trailing some smoke, the chance to creep away slightly. On the last lap Gaither got second from Torres, but it was Hessong(Edna), hanging on despite the smoke, in the Magnum Services, Magnum Motorsports, Edna Auto Supply, Tonys Mobile Home Service, Lieta Farms, Rock Motors, Lick my Stack Cooking Team, Wicked Transmission, Destroyer Chassis.

I smoked it a little bit, but I didn't hurt it.” reported Hessong. “I kept on watching the oil pressure and we were good. So I just kept her hammer down. I was following Johnny(Torres) for the longest time and not getting anywhere. On that single file restart I thought I'd just sail it off in there on the top and hope it sticks. I did it, and it stuck. I was able to pull it off.”

This is the sixth night on the car, We took it to a couple shows in north Texas and picked up a win in Kennedale. Two wins in a row, two different tracks, that's pretty good. I'm just now finding the set up that works. I might make a spring adjustment. I try not to change anything. We'll see from here on out.”

This was a bare cage when we got it. A lot of us built the car in two and half weeks. It was a whopping, but it was worth it We're going to run every big show we can possibly run.”

All in Design USRA Factory Stocks

747 Gw Hessong, 5 Dillon Gaither, 26br Johnny Torres, 41 Wade Jones, 99 Allen Alexander, 23k Kasey Krauss, 24 John Lieta, 38 Josh Sewell, 4d Dustin Hurley, 20 Mike Lyon, 7 Jesse Sandoval, 48 Robert Kelm, 93 Aaron Leddy, 5r Ray Doyon, 44 Clint Montanio, 75 Jerry Miller, 30 Riley Heil, 22m Anthony Gordon, 22t Frank Okruhlik, 49k Michael Keylich, 204 Jacob Burnett, 36 George Quintanilla, 18s Jarrett Payton---dns

Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 747 GW Hessong, 20 Mike Lyon, 24 John Lieta, 30 Riley Heil, 7 Jesse Sandoval, 22t Frank Okruhlik, 5 Jerry Miller, 38 Josh Sewell

Heat 2; 4d Dustin Hurley, 41 Wade Jones, 48 Robert Kelm, 204 Jacob Burnett, 22m Anthony Gordon, 44 Clint Montanio, 99 Allen Alexander, 18s Jarrett Payton

Heat 3; 26br Johnny Torres, 23k Kasey Krauss, 49k Michael Keylich, 5 Dillon Gaither, 5r Ray Doyon, 93 Aaron Leddy, 36 George Quintanilla

Two in a Row for Keylich

In the Beginner Factory Stock feature Daniel Lopez quickly jumped into the lead followed by Robert Mayberry, Adam Tracy, Katherine Keylich and Ronnie Sparks. Tracy tried the high side and got a good run, but almost overshot turns 3-4 falling back to eighth. Up front, Mayberry got under Lopez for the lead on lap 4.

Lopez began leaking fluid causing Sparks to spin in turn 3. Lopez was checked and forced to pit. Back to green, Tracy again trying the high side went around and collected Kyle Workman. Finally back to racing it was K. Keylich pressuring Mayberry for the lead. K. Keylich got by for the point on lap 8 bringing Hunter Peterson along to second as Mayberry went around.

Peterson tried the middle on the restart to get by K. Keylich, but was unable to get the spot. Peterson then moved to the low side, while Tracy was back up top. As the white waved it was three wide for the lead in turns 1-2. Coming to the line it was K. Keylich(La Vernia) by a bumper in her Double K Landscaping, Jenns Spirits, Keylich Electric, CPU Repair, All in Designs, Outlaw Chassis eking out the win.

Beginner Factory Stocks

44k Katherine Keylich, 34h Hunter Peterson, 22t Adam Tracy, 40k Kyle Workman, 22 Ronnie Sparks, 22m Robert Mayberry, 6p Jeremy Hernandez, 92r Robert Keylich, 28 Daniel Lopez

Beginner Factory Stock heats

Heat 1; 28 Daniel Lopez, 22m Robert Mayberry, 6p Jeremy Hernandez, 40k Kyle Workman, 92r Robert Keylich

Heat 2; 44k Katherine Keylich, 22t Adam Tracy, 22 Ronnie Sparks, 34h Hunter Peterson

Garners Gets Green in Tuners

Jamie Garner and Johnathon Cervantes stayed door to door off turn turn 2 before Garner got the lead with Cervantes, Dylan Kowalik, Ronnie Schoenfeldt and Ryan McDonald on his heels. Cervantes run up front ended on lap 2 when trouble forced him to pull off. Garner was quickly in slower traffic splitting Aaron Tipton and Darrel Jones three wide.

McDonald was able to get past Kowalik in traffic for second. At the crossed flags it was Garner, McDonald, Kowalik, Adolph Tracy and Schoenfeldt in the top five. McDonald got under Garner and took the point on lap 12. Kowalik used traffic to pressure Garner for second as they diced three wide through slower cars.

Garner ran McDonald back down with three to go and was looking low. The two were side by side for the lead as the flagman showed them two to go. McDonalds chance for a win ended on the white flag as he slowed allowing Garner(San Antonio) the uncontested run for the win in his VW Sirocco.

First loser,” joked Garner in regards to the points season. “We've had a pretty good season this year with three wins. We can't complain. All these young guys beating on me, that hurts.”

It's too bad Brandon(McCall) broke a CV joint, I think. I think we could have put on a show for the fans. Ryan(McDonald) kept me on my toes though, I can tell you that. He did a heck of a job. When he got by me I couldn't believe it. I just hung in there and finally got it back That lapped traffic was really hit or miss and hope you found the right line.

There wasn't a chance I'd go run that National points race. That's too far and this is a local group. I think it should stay local myself.”

I need to thank all the guys that help get me out there, Brown Chevrolet, Joe & Adrian Shoemaker, Kirk Ball, Gerald Higley, Darrel Jones and Rick Pollaro.”

Brown Chevrolet USRA Tuners

33 Jamie Garner, 29k Dylan Kowalik, 01 Adolph Tracy, 14t Shaun Tracy, 98 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 13 Hanna Miller, 2 James Hernandez, 11j Josh Jones, 816 Ryan McDonald, 46 Johnathon Cervantes, 35 Darrel Jones, 4 Aaron Tipton, 38 Kirk Ball---dns, 14 Brandon McCall---dns

USRA Tuner heats

Heat 1; 46 Jonathon Cervantes, 98 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 11j Josh Jones, 14t Shaun Tracy, 4 Aaron Tipton, 14 Brandon McCall, 38 Kirk Ball

Heat 2; 33 Jamie Garner, 29k Dylan Kowalik, 816 Ryan McDonald, 01t Adolph Tracy, 2 James Hernandez, 13 Hanna Miller, 35 Darrel Jones

Stoy Scores Dwarf Dollars

Larry Carwin led the 14-car DCRST feature to turn 1, but it was Drew Stark leading lap 1 with Carwin, Dillon Coyne, Ty Paxson and Ryan Stoy in tow. Carwin, Coyne and Kyle Sargisson tangled in turns 1-2 for an early yellow. Stoy got by Paxson for second on the restart while Casey Smith did a 360 from fifth and fell back.

The top three were nose to tail as they gapped the rest of the pack. Stoy got along side Stark for the lead and took over on lap 9. The top five at halfway were Stoy, Stark, Paxson, Cauy Moore and Smith rebounding from his spin. Stark and Paxson swapped second giving Stoy some breathing room.

As the white flag was shown Stoy had a half straightaway on the two still trying to settle the runner-up spot. Stoy(Leander), winner of the Lone Star Dwarf Car championship, picked up his third I-37 win over the past few years in his The Mechanic, QA1 Shocks, Kawaski ZX 10 powered, Peter D Motorsports Chassis.

It was a good battle up front,” commented Stoy. “I finally realized if I pushed the pedal on the right a little harder I could pull away from them. I haven't raced a lot with these guys this year so I was kind of feeling them out in the heat race. It was a little choppy out there. I realized in the main that they'd be able hold their line. It allowed me to make a few passes on the bottom.”

I've won here twice before over the last four years. So I had an idea what set up to use here. Dry as a bone. This new Peter D Motorsports chassis has absolutely exceeded my expectations on any track surface. Ryan Diotte with QA1 Shocks made it possible for me to win the Lone Star Dwarf Club Championship. It was a close fight between Joe Shedden and I with three points difference the final race.”

Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas

20 Ryan Stoy, 3 Casey Smith, 03 Drew Stark, 22c Cauy Moore, 12 Dillon Coyne, 555 Brian Benedict, 24 Colby Urbanovsky, 965 Ron Roth, 07 Jack Burkhart III, 2 Jerry Book, 54 Brandon Cloud, 64 Larry Carwin, 34 Kyle Sargisson, 15 Ty Paxson---DQ(unsportsmanlike conduct)

Dwarf Car heats

Heat 1; 555 Brian Benedict, 34 Kyle Sarggison, 64 Larry Carwin, 2 Jerry Book, 965 Ron Roth, 54 Brandon Cloud, 07 Jack Burkhart III

Heat 2; 03 Drew Stark, 12t Dillon Coyne, 15 Ty Paxson, 20 Ryan Stoy, 22c Cauy Moore, 24 Colby Urbanovsky, 3t Casey Smith