Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas, Modified Meet-n-Greet, Back to School Supply Drive @ I-37 Speedway, 8/25/18

Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas, Modified Meet-n-Greet, Back to School Supply Drive @ I-37 Speedway, 8/25/18

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(Aug. 25Th, 2018) After loosing the show to rain two weeks ago, I-37 Speedway held its annual 'Back to School Supply Drive' to help families pick up things needed for the kids. With many schools already starting and a few scheduled the following week this gave kids a chance to pick up some needed supplies.

It was also 'Meet-n-Greet' night for the IMCA Modifieds during intermission giving them the opportunity to see all their fans and hand out hero cards. The IMCA Modified class has made a come back this season with as many as 20 cars making the field last month.

Currently Rick Green, last races winner, is heading the points battle with a good cushion over defending track champ Talon Minten. Bill Pittaway, Dillon Tindall and Don Banker complete the top five. Multiple race winners, Chris Carroll and Greg Dinsmore, are deep in the standings after not attending every race weekend.

Dinsmore Dominant in Modified Main

Greg Dinsmore(Kerrville) added another IMCA Modified win to his I-37 Speedway total. Dinsmore fell in line second at the start of the 20-lap main event behind polesitter Marcus Berndt. Completing the top five were Talon Minten, Ryan Doyon and Jamie Campbell.

Using the middle, Dismore went around Berndt for the lead on lap 3, Minten tried to get by Berndt for second but clipped him and spun. Campbell got by Berndt for second on the restart with Rick Green taking fourth from Doyon. Doyon fell back into a three wide fight for sixth between Cody Leonard and Rob Slott.

At halfway Dinsmore had built a huge lead over Campbell, Slott, Berndt and Green. Green had Leonard and Minten pressuring him for fifth as they went four wide past a lapped car. A spin by Doyon erased Dinsmores big lead and gave Slott a chance to peek inside on the restart.

Green, Leonard and Minten continued their three wide battle with Leonard getting the spot. Minten spun from that fight for a late caution. Again Slott gave Dinsmore a quick look in turn 1, but Dinsmore was able to get a better drive off turn 2 to hold the lead.

Dinsmore was able to put a couple car lengths on Slott as the final laps clicked off while Robert Liese and Campbell ran side by side for fifth. At the checkers Dinsmore added a couple car lengths taking the win in his Sundowner Performance Diesel Repair, Race Safe Technologies, The Alignment Shop, Wehrs, Sanderson Motorsports, CRS Suspension, Stealth by Roberts, Fast Shafts, AFCO Shocks, Six-Two Graphics, Friesen crate powered, BMS Chassis.

5b8342300fc0a__SRP7620(1280x848)(2).thumb.jpg.741937b1c18ac07bae83f65c7eab5ba7.jpg

I hated all the cautions,” replied Dinsmore. “Just when you start to let the car stretch its legs and put it on cruise control, here comes another caution. You just know it's going to be the one that someone turns you on the restart. I really didn't see anyone stick the nose in. Once I stretched her legs after a couple laps I didn't hear anything.”

It usually takes about a lap and half to get back in the rhythm. I really drive the car a lot harder on restarts than I do to prevent anyone from getting inside. I was just running a conservative line, hitting my marks. After a caution you let it eat pretty hard and if you don't hear anything, put it back on cruise.”

The track slicked off big time between the heat and feature. There was some meat up there a lane, but you lost the forward bite coming off. Under caution I tried to see what was up there, but trying to cool the right rear off too.”

We're planning on doing the Southern Nationals show next month. Thinking about the Bryan Mize show and whatever else we have time for. Right now I'm really looking at putting Logan in the car. It's his turn now, we'll see what happens.”

Simpson Racing Products IMCA Modifieds

8g Greg Dinsmore, 48r Rob Slott, 44 Marcus Berndt, 12 Cody Leonard, 77 Robert Liese jr., 29 Jamie Campbell, 82 Rick Green, 58 Rowdy Flanagan, 5r Ryan Doyon, 137 Bill Pittaway, 16 Carson Bednarz, 88 Bobby Jack, 47 Brandon Lawrence, 14t Talon MInten

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 8g Greg Dinsmore, 82 Rick Green, 77 Roberet Liese jr., 5r Ryan Doyon, 16 Carson Bednarz, 58 Rowdy Flanagan, 88 Bobby Jack

Heat 2; 44 Marcus Berndt, 29 Jamie Campbell, 48r Rob Slott, 14t Talon Minten, 12 Cody Leonard, 137 Bill Pittaway, 47 Brandon Lawrence

Thriller for Torres in Sport Modifieds

After watching his brother Allen take the Pure Stock feature win, Johnny Torres(San Antonio) had to keep pace. Torres and Lawrence Mikulencak had the crowd on their feet as the two battled the final few laps for the victory. Torres, who started eighth, ran down Mikulencak after halfway and used lap traffic to catch him.

Mikulencak, using the middle saw Torres get the nose inside on lap 17 with the two side by side for the lead. Torres, who had a better drive of turn 2, was able to get out front on lap 18 with Mikulencak staying on his tail. Mikulencak used every thing he could coming to the checkers but it was Torres holding him off for the win in his Scott Ball Racing, Alamo Hot Rod Parts, Tator Plumbing, Sundowner Performance Diesel & Truck Repair, All In Designs, Long Run Seamless Gutters, Swenson Racing Shocks, Fletchers Race Engines, IRP Chassis.

I knew towards the end that I was faster,” explained Torres. “I was slowly reeling him in. I didn't think I'd have enough time to pass him. The flagman had 2 flags in his hands for about five laps. So I was saying please don't throw two to go. He waited just long enough. It was funny, last race lapped traffic cost me a race, tonight it helped me.”

I was running all the way on the bottom and Lawrence was middle-high. He had to go to the bottom to pass those cars and, to me, it looked like it upset his car and killed his rhythm. This car has been so good all year I haven't wanted to change anything. I struggled a bit in the heat race. We changed a whole bunch of stuff figuring we had nothing to loose. It turned out to really pay off.

Lawrence knows I'll race him clean. I know he'll race me the same. We have a lot of respect for one another. I slid up in front of him a bit to try to kill his momentum. We talked and he said everything was fine. It's part of racing.”

I'm looking forward to the Southern Nationals in a couple weeks. I'm not looking forwards to losing points here, but I've got a big enough lead. I went to Waco last week and did pretty good considering the track conditions.”

I gave Johnny a break so he wouldn't complain about running second again,” said runner-up Mikulencak jokingly. “I had been running that higher groove and saw the black nose inside me. Running out front you never know if your line is the fastest.”

Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds

66 Johnny Torres, 87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 2 Talon Minten, 30 Chris Swenson, 12 Cody Leonard, bd3 Eddy Ross, 9 Ray Doyon III, bd2 Jared Maupin, 87L Joe Aramendia, 31 Chase Havely, 77 Cody Beddoe, 101 Tanner Whitmire, 20 Danny Norvell, 55 Mike Morris, 84 Dude Farris, 56 Broc Bowen, 5r Ryan Doyon, 11t Tom Grothues, 24r Robby Minten, 24 Jim Blevins

Sport Modified heats

Heat 1; 5r Ryan Doyon, 30 Chris Swenson, 24r Robby Minten, 2 Talon Minten, 101 Tanner Whitmire, 84f Dude Farris, 24 Jim Blevins

Heat 2; 56 Broc Bowen, 77 Cody Beddoe, 66 Johnny Torres, bd3 Eddy Ross, 55 Mike Morris, L87 Joe Aramendia

Heat 3; 87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 12 Cody Leonard, bd2 Jared Maupin, 31 Chase Havely, 9 Ray Doyon II, 20 Danny Norvell, 11t Tom Grothues

Votion in Motion Again

Trey Votion(San Antonio) used a quick move on lap 1 to get by early leader Tommy Grimes and Cody Leonard for the top spot on lap 2. Votion, Grimes and Quentin Henderson ran nose to tail for a few laps on a restart before a Leonard spin. Leonard used the high side to make up spots back into the top five before halfway.

At the crossed flags it was Votion, now easing away, Grimes, Q. Henderson, Leonard and Howie Marcx. Votion continued to lengthen his advantag in the latter stages to take the checkers comfortably in his Nogalitos Gear, SRC Performance, Mission Race Engines, Kelly Racing Chassis.

I didn't have to set up Cody(Leonard), he was running the top which gave me a line down low.” said Votion. “Tommy(Grimes) was pushing off the corners, so I was able to put it under him and go. I was looking for someone to be coming on the top side, but never saw a fender so I just kept running the bottom groove.”

In the heat race I had made some rear suspension changes and it made the car very loose, we put it back to normal for the feature and the car was fast off the turns again.

Nogalitos Gear Limite Late Models

99 Trey Votion, 22t Tommy Grimes, 44 Quentin Henderson, 5 Cody Leonard, 13Howie Marcx, 57 Jason Kelly, 57sr John Kelly, 15 John Owens, 95 Jerry Jones, 86 Bob Henderson--dns

Limited Late Model heats

Heat 1; 22t Tommy Grimes, 99 Trey Votion, 57 Jason Kelly, 95 Jerry Jones, 86 Bob Henderson

Heat 2; 5 Cody Leonard, 44 Quentin Henderson, 57sr John Kelly, 13 Howie Marcx, 15 John Owens

Trigg Tallies in Street Stocks

After many long hours in the shop rebuilding a car first thought to be a write-off, Mike Trigg(San Antonio) was back on track, literally and figuratively. Trigg destroyed both ends on his car in Texana Raceway crash at the start of summer, but after winning his heat race started along side Wade Jones in the feature.

The two, who have a history, fought it out on lap 1 cleanly, with Jones first into turn 1. Trigg was able to get inside Jones on the back stretch and was first back to the line to lead lap 1. The lead duo put some distance on Frank Okruhlik, Shawn Moore and Chuck Barber before Moore looped it.

At halfway it was Trigg, Jones, Okruhlik, Jarrett Barber getting by his dad, Chuck for fourth. As Trigg motored away, J. Barber was looking for a way past Okruhlik for third. A late caution set up a restart that saw Jones give Trigg some bumper taps but Trigg in his 'Shaggin Wagon' Willie Cotton Race Engines, Snyper Chassis, held on for the win.

If you'd have seen this this car after my crash in Edna(Texana) you'd have thought it was dead.” said Trigg. “I called the guy that built the chassis and he said there wasn't enough to work with. He said 'clip it' or come get a chassis. We measured and measured. We have literally worked ourselves to death trying to get it back. Amazingly it scaled good. As bad as it was wrecked, I still think we have a racecar.”

The rear clip was bent over about 6 ½ inches, the right front frame was bent in 5 ½ inches and pushed back collapsing the spring bucket. The cross member was twisted and it's been absolute nightmare.”

I was about, let's just race. It's the same old deal. You give me room to race and I'll race you. He gave me room and we raced and there we go. I felt Wade give me a couple taps on that restart. I expected it. It doesn't rattle me. I've turned a lot of laps, I knew it was coming. The problem is if they stay in the throttle it can be an ugly situation for everyone. Fortunately it didn't. I Don't race like, don't like being raced like that, but I was expecting it.”

I saw the water truck at intermission and thought there might be something on top. When we pulled out on the track I looked at it and it was dead up there. I watched the Limited Late Models from the pits and didn't think it was going to come in. I like slick and slow, but you have to hit your marks. I couldn't ask for a better night after what we've been through.”

SABFI Transportation Street Stocks

4t Mike Trigg, 41 Wade Jones, 19 Jarrett Barber, 36 Frank Okruhlik, 1 Chuck Barber, 20 Mike Lyon, 33h Cody Henderson, 8 Jacob Crow, 2x Dennis Hilla, 18 Shawn Moore, 9(14) Lynn Fox, 17 Jerry Evans, 23 Dennis Taber jr., 33jp Cody Henderson

Street Stocks heats

Heat 1; 41 Wade Jones, 18 Shawn Moore, 20 Mike Lyon, 23 Dennis Taber, 19 Jarrett Barber, 2x Dennis Hilla, 17 Jerry Evans

Heat 2; 4t Mike Trigg, 36 Frank Okruhlik, 1 Chuck Barber, 33jp Tryton Temple, 9(14) Lynn Fox, 8 Jacob Crow, 33h Cody Henderson

Torres Tramples Field for Pure Payday

Allen Torres(San Antonio) has been the dominant car in Pure Stocks this season with a big number of wins(9). Tonight was no different. Jared Maupin got to turn 1 first, but it was Torres off turn 2 with the lead trailed by Maupin, Caitlin Leonard, Aaron Leddy and Jamie Fuller. As Torres quickly pulled away Leddy and Leonard were side by side for third.

In the pack Daniel Preston, William Saunders and Jarrett Payton were three wide for sixth. By halfway Torres had built a big lead over Maupin, who now had Leddy applying the pressure. As the white waved Torres had a full straightaway edge easily cruising to the win in the Allens 24/7 Towing, All in Designs, crate powered, Swenson Chassis.

I had no Idea how much of a lead I had.” commented Torres. “We made some adjustments for the track, turned the right front brake on, went straight across on the stagger and just basically drove it in and drove it out.”

I like the slick tracks. It fits my driving style and the way the car works. I drive pretty smooth if you look at the other cars. Throttle response on a dry track is key, it's everything. Johnny is my go-to guy. He helps with the set up, tire pressures, stagger and spacers.”

All In Design Pure Stocks

94 Allen Torres, bd1 Jared Maupin, 93 Aaron Leddy, 9c Caitlin Leonard, 6 Daniel Preston, 43 Jamie Fuller, 48 Robert Kelm, 88 Jarrett Payton, 98 William Saunders, 58 Cheyloh Brodnax, 2 Zach Courtney, 07 Logan Schunka, 36z George Quintanilla, 44k Mike Keylich, 17 Casey Lowe, 5 Dillon Gaither, w28 Joe Martin, m13 Jeremy Watson, 182 Ben Mikulencak, 97 James Aramendia jr., 68 Kenny Wright, 4D Dakota Hurley

Pure Stock B-main(top 6 to A-main)

182 Ben Mikulencak, 44k Mike Keylich, 97 James Aramendia jr., 36z George Quintanilla, 17 Casey Lowe, m13 Jeremy Watson, 56 Bob Caulfield, 75 Jerry Miller, 7x Janel Dincan, 63 Joe D Johnson,39 Jim Blevins---dns, 10 Scott Jerkins---dns, 33 Charles Earnhardt jr---dns

Pure Stock heats(top 4 to A-main)

Heat 1; bd1 Jared Maupin, 93 Aaron Leddy, 88 Jarrett Payton, 6 Daniel Preston, 44k Mike Keylich, 39 Jim Blevins, 33 Charles Earnhardt jr., 97 James Aramendia jr

Heat 2; 9c Caitlin Leonard, 2 Zach Courtney, 07 Logan Schunka, w28 Joe Martin, 36z George Quintanilla, 56 Bob Caulfield, m13 Jeremy Watson

Heat 3

94 Allen Torres, 4d Dakota Hurley, 98 William Saunders, 68 Kenny Wright, 17 Casey Lowe, 82 Ben Mikulencak, 75 Jerry Miller

Heat 4; 43 Jamie Fuller, 48 Robert Kelm, 5 Dillon Gaither, 58 Cheyloh Brodnax, 7x Janel Duncan, 63 Joe D Johnson, 10 Scott Jerkins

Compact Cash for Carter

Despite some late-season rules changes, Harlingen's GB Carter was still able to score the victory in Sport Compacts. Carter and Jamie Garner had a spirited battle before midway that kept the race close. Garner used a good run on a restart to get the nose of his Sirocco in the wind(see what I did there) on lap 5.

Garner and Carter stayed side by side while Kasey Krauss, Trevor Bettis and Cody Earnhardt were three wide for fifth. After 4 laps of door to door racing for the lead Carter was finally able to get the point back on lap 9. Carter diced through traffic better, at one time going between two lapped cars, and putting distance on Garner for the win in his Don Wilde Racecraft, Margaret Felps, VW Rabbit.

243,” exclaimed Carter. “Actually the car does it, I just drive it. The car does everything by itself. It's magic. Believe it or not there's a spirit in there. You don't believe me do you? It's a full moon too.”

Usually it's me getting hung up in traffic. I was able to pick and choose, plus knowing the guys I'm racing with. Some guys you're apprehensive about driving up along side. There was one point I had to squeeze between two cars, but I had faith in those guys that they would hold their line. That's when I was able to get back by Jamie, he was incredibly fast.”

It worked out. If I hadn't made that move Jamie would have stayed ahead of me. If he gets out front he's hard to catch, it's that simple. It's who gets out front front first.”

The rule change deal wasn't anything new to me. Back at CC Speedway the front wheel drive cars had to run an open differential and the rear wheel drive could lock them to keep the cars equal. I just didn't know how the car would react tonight with no practice. It was a surprise, but it worked out.”

Tonight was special for me. I got to do an interview with Owen Pittman. I've known Owen for a long time and he's been one the best promoters for four cylinder cars. It was honor to be interviewed by him and knowing me, as well as he did, he brought two microphones because he knows I won't stop talking.”

Brown Chevrolet Sport Compacts

77 GB Carter, 33 Jamie Garner, 14 Brandon McCall, 38 Kirk Ball, 23 Kasey Krauss, 16 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 44 Cody Earnhardt, 57 Trevor Bettis, 7L Loryn Noah, 39 Roy Easler jr., 01 Randy Frautschi, 11 John Lawrence, 24 Felipe Ruiz, 74 Arthur Olson, 4 Ronnie Sparks, 30 Bill Cox, 13 Chad Miller

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 77 GB Carter, 38 Kirk Ball, 57 Trevor Bettis, 44 Cody Earnhardt, 39 Roy Easler jr., 7L Loryn Noah, 13 Chad Miller, 4 Ronnie Sparks

Heat 2; 14 Brandon McCall, 33 Jamie Garner, 16 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 23 Kasey Krauss, 01 Randy Frautschi, 11 John Lawrence, 24 Felipe Ruiz, 74 Arthur Olson, 30 Billy Cox

Paxson Picks on DCRST Payday

Ty Paxson(Boerne) didn't take the most direct route to the winners circle, but when the dust settled in the 20-lap Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas feature, that's where he ended. With Gary Buchanan getting the early lead, Paxson made his way into the top five before spinning. Paxson quickly fought back into the top five at halfway behind Buchanan, Dillon Coyne, Sammy Silvas and Dylan Budnik.

Even another half spin didn't deter Paxson as he ran down Buchanan for the lead with three to go. The two were side by side on lap 18 until Buchanan faltered and slowed, losing several spots. At the checkers it was Paxson in the Moores Electric Company, Spreen Racing, Always Auto Group, Alamo Hot Rod Parts, Kawasaki ZX 10 powered car.

It was a lot of hard driving tonight,” said Paxson. “It was a super slick track for us. There was a lot of bumping and banging. I don't think anyone didn't run over someone else at one point. It was real hard for me to get to the front. You just had to keep your foot in it and see if it sticks.”

I spun out twice trying to avoid people. I couldn't get it back in gear that one time so that caution was on me. The second time I kept it going and stayed near the front and was able to get around some people.”

It didn't look good after going to the back. On that restart I was able to get around some people and make up some ground. From there I was able to focus and get around more people.”

Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas

15 Ty Paxson, 1 Dillon Coyne, 49 Dillon Spreen, 45 Kyle Yuchinski, 37 Drew Simental, 53 Zac Zearfoss, 96 Colby Urbanousky, 5 Gary Buchanan, 25 Dylan Budnik, 84 Sammy Silvas, 42 Dwain Groff, 50 Jerry Book, 85 Chris Silvas sr., 51 Jeremy Hernandez, 80 Brandon Spreen, 17 Brayden Becker, 94 Clayton Carter

DCRST heats

Heat 1; 45 Kyle Yuchinski, 51 Jeremy Hernandez, 84 Sammy Silvas, 50 Jerry Book, 53 Zac Zearfoss, 85 Chris Silvas sr., 94 Clayton Carter, 42 Dwain Groff, 5 Gary Buchanan---dns

Heat 2; 96 Colby Urbanousky, 1 Dillon Coyne, 17 Brayden Becker, 37 Drew Simental, 49 Dillon Spreen, 15 Ty Paxson, 80 Brandon Spreen, 25 Dylan Budnik---dntg

Russ Parker Constructio Go-Karts

Senior Division: Charles Flanagan, Ryker Hernandez, Hannah Miller

Junior Division: Cody Clegg, Payton Jones

Youth Division: Blaine Markgraf, Aubrie Moore, Berkley Keylich

Archived