I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 6/16/18

I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 6/16/18

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(June 16th, 2018) The show must go on.

Tonight was scheduled to be the inaugural visit of the TOMS(Touring Outlaw Modified Series) in south Texas with a Friday/Saturday doubleheader at Texana Raceway Park(Friday) then I-37 Speedway(Saturday). Unfortunately the threats of two tropical systems closing in from either side, plus the travel from north Texas for many drivers in the series, TOMS and track officials decided to cancel the event early in the week.

The track got some scattered sea-breeze showers during the afternoon, but not enough to cancel racing for the other classes scheduled to race. With the IMCA Modifieds and Go-karts scheduled off it was the chance for the Sport Modifieds to enjoy the headliner spotlight, with added money on the line, $600 to win and $400 to win for the Pure Stocks.

Leonard Takes Long Road to Sport Mod Money

Corpus Christi young gun Cody Leonard grabbed the 20-lap Sport Modified feature finding the high line to his liking. Leonard found the top before any of the other top contenders and made his way around to get by race-long leader Chase Havely just past halfway. From there Leonard in the Coastal Diesel, CD Electric, KR Compressors, Swenson Racing Shocks, Ace Transmission, Wells Racing Engines, 09 Express Chassis stretched out his advantage for the win.

Eighteen cars started the main event with, polesitter, Havely first into turn 1, while Chris Swenson, from outside row 1, slid too high and fell back. Falling in line behind Havely were Johnny Torres, Robby Minten, Anthony Gordon and Talon Minten. R. Minten was next to slip giving up spots to Gordon, his brother Talon and Leonard who was working the top side.

Leonard continued making progress on the top while Havely and Torres, on the bottom broke away. A series of cautions closed the gap giving Leonard a chance to erase the distance. Once back to green Leonard got by Gordon leaving him three wide with T. Minten and JJ Jennings for fourth.

Coming to halfway it was Havely, Leonard getting by Torres, Jennings and T. Minten in the top five. Still using the high side, Leonard sailed around Havely for the lead on lap 11 with Torres moving up top and taking second from Havely. After a lap 14 caution, Leonard began pulling away from Torres and the field to secure the victory.

“We didn't know what the car was going to do,” exclaimed Leonard. “We made a shock change at the beginning of the night. It ran pretty good in the heat race. When the feature rolled around they had watered the top side and I didn't know whether to run the bottom or top. I figured the top would come in eventually. I stuck it out up high and was able to work my way around traffic and ended up pulling off the win.”

“Chase Havely had a real good impressive run going. I'm really impressed by how much he's accomplished and progressed in his short time on dirt. I thought he may have had it there at the beginning. I had trouble catching him, but finally figured out the high line and was able to catch him.”

5b26caad0a5e8__SRP6772(1280x848)(2).thumb.jpg.788f8edff4dbf124e268c0f3d908a182.jpg

Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds

12 Cody Leonard, 66 Johnny Torres, 31 Chase Havely, 9 Talon Minten, 26g JJ Jennings, 77 Cody Beddoe, 28m Mason Casteneda, 24r Robby Minten, bd3 Eddy Ross, 12r Roly Rodriguez, 95 Larry Lewis, 32 Robert Stewart, 49 Mike Keylich, 22m Anthony Gordon, bd2 Greg Carlucci jr., 5r Ryan Doyon, 11t Tom Grothues, 30 Chris Swenson, 24 Jim Blevins---dns

Sport Modified heats

Heat 1; 31 Chase Havely, 24r Robby Minten, 66 Johnny Torres, 9 Talon Minten, 77 Cody Beddoe, 12 Roly Rodriguez, bd2 Greg Carlucci jr., 5r Ryan Doyon, 49 Mike Keylich, 24 Jim Blevins

Heat 2; 30 Chris Swenson, 22m Anthony Gordon, 28m Mason Casteneda, 12 Cody Leonard, 95 Larry Lewis, bd3 Eddy Ross, 26 JJ Jennings, 11 Tom Grothues, 32 Robert Stewart

Leonard Lands Another Win

After finding a line in the earlier Sport Modified feature, Cody Leonard again used the long way around to take his second checkers of the night. Leonard closed in on multi-time track champ Trey Votion and Quentin Henderson, who had been swapping the top spot. Leonard was able to get the lead from Votion with five to go, then inch away to score the victory.

Votion led the 12-car field to green trailed by Q. Henderson, Leonard, Howie Marcx and Shane Moore. Q. Henderson began challenging Votion looking high and low. Votion, trying to find his line, tried high and Q. Henderson was able to get by low for the lead on lap 4. The duo ran side by side for a lap until Votion got a good run off turn 2 to retake the point.

A debris caution set up the three-car battle that saw Votion on top, Q. Henderson on the bottom and Leonard trying the look in the middle. At halfway it was Votion, Leonard, Q. Henderson, Marcx and Jason Kelly. Leonard began peeking in the middle on Votion coming off the corners, while Bob Henderson grabbed fifth from Ja. Kelly.

Votion tried to change his exit off turn 4, giving up the top and opening the door for Leonard to get by for the lead on lap 15. Marcx broke a rear gear on lap 16 setting up a late shootout. Leonard, still on top, saw Votion give him several looks low, but to no avail as Leonard in the Dan Schroat owned, KR Compressors, Longs Racing Engines powered, Walt Clark Chassis crept away for the win.

“I thought maybe the bottom would work out with these big tires,” added Leonard. “It wasn't the case with my car. I was struggling on the bottom. I saw Trey(Votion) move up and was trying to follow his line. I kept showing the nose underneath him and hoped he'd see what I was trying and move his line down. He ended up doing it and I was able to get by him on the high side.”

“I saw him rolling the bottom at the start and thought he was going to walk away with it. Quentin(Henderson) and I were able to reel him in. We had a good three car battle for the lead there for a while. We both started rolling the top and getting it figured out. We had a good run.”

Nogalitos Gear Limited Late Models

5 Cody Leonard, 99 Trey Votion, 44 Quentin Henderson, 84 Patrick Kelly, 57 Jason Kelly, 86 Bob Henderson, 53 Matt Fox, 18 Shane Moore, 57sr John Kelly sr., 13 Howie Marcx, 95 Jerry Jones, 15 John Owens, 22t Tommy Grimes---dntg, 1x Andrew Hesler---dns

Limited Late Model heats

Heat 1; 99 Trey Votion, 13 Howie Marcx, 18 Shane Moore, 95 Jerry Jones, 15 John Owens, 57 Jason Kelly, 22t Tommy Grimes

Heat 2; 44 Quentin Henderson, 5 Cody Leonard, 84 Patrick Kelly, 53 Matt Fox, 86 Bob Henderson, 57sr John Kelly sr., 1x Andrew Hesler---dns

Pesek Powers to Pay Day

Michale Pesek(Victoria) made the trip up pay off in the 20-lap Street Stock feature. After a fan redraw, that saw the starting field inverted by 11, Dakota Heinaman was the early leader with Pesek getting the spot on lap 2. Pesek then had multi-time track champ Wade Jones to contend with. The two made some contact with Jones clipping an infield tire and spinning. A series of late restarts made things interesting, but it Was Pesek hanging on for the win.

At the start of the 12-car feature Heinaman was first to turn 1 chased by Mike Lyon, Pesek, Jones and Jacob Crow. Pesek was able to get by Lyon and Heinaman for the top spot on lap 2 with Jones getting third from Lyon. Bart Wilcox, who had to start at the rear, quickly made his way into the top five getting the spot from Crow.

Both Jones and Wilcox added another position as they approached halfway. At the mid point it was Pesek, Jones closing in, Heinaman, Wilcox and Lyon. A yellow restacked the field putting Jones on Pesek's bumper. Jones stayed attached to his bumper, literally and figuratively, as the two fought it out. That came to head when Jones tried to get inside. The two exchanged some paint on the back stretch with Jones clipping an infield tire and spinning.

A string of yellows slowed the pace, but not the action as Heinaman and Wilcox ran door to door for second, while Cody Leonard, in his his sisters Pure Stock, Lyon and Crow tried three wide for fourth. It seemed like they'd never get past lap 18 with numerous restarts, giving Jones the chance to pick up spots as other had problems.

Finally under green Pesek was able to get a good jump on Wilcox and Heinaman and get clear. Jones was now battling with Leonard for fourth and got the position on the last lap. Up front it was Pesek in the Mickeys Auto Repair & Wrecker Service, Rock Motors, Cornwell Tools, Matco, Viking Recovery, Outlaw Racing Chassis taking home the hardware.

“Smooth driving, taking it easy” replied Pesek. “To be honest, my dad watches the track and what I do in the heat race. He makes the changes whatever he feels it needs and I do the rest from there. I really have no idea what he does. He tells me to drive it, and I go drive it.”

“It would have been fun racing with Wade(Jones). If you've got the car and you hold your groove, you can hold him back. Anyone can be beat. He kept popping me in the bumper every corner and trying to push me up the track. I had the racing groove, he stuck his nose inside me there. When I went to set up for the corner, he didn't lift, I didn't lift either. If he hadn't been beating my rear bumper off I might have let him have the line.”

SABFI Transpotation Street Stocks

22 Michale Pesek, 67 Bart Wilcox, 83 Dakota Heinaman, 41 Wade Jones, 9c Cody Leonard, 20 Mike Lyon, 14 Lynn Fox, 23 Dennis Taber jr., 8 Jacob Crow, 18 Shawn Moore, 2x Dennis Hilla, 51 Harold Cope jr ., 81 Tony Bernal---dns, 33h Cody Henderson---dns

Street Stock heats

Heat 1; 2x Dennis Hilla, 23 DennisTaber jr., 22 Michale Pesek, 83 Dakota Heinaman, 20 Mike Lyon, 81 Tony Bernal, 51 Harold Cope jr.

Heat 2; 41 Wade Jones, 18 Shawn Moore, 14 Lynn Fox, 8 Jacob Crow, 33 Cody Henderson, 67 Bart Wilcox---dq(tech)

Victory Lane for Leddy

Aaron Leddy, who started deep in the 22-car Pure Stock field had his work cut out for him. Methodically, using the high line that no one else was using, made his way into the top five by halfway and got the lead with two laps to go from Dakota Hurley, who had led throughout. Da. Hurley gave Leddy a try coming to the checkers, but spun collecting several of the top contenders.

It was Jamie Dear getting to turn 1 first, but Da. Hurley got a good run on the backstretch to get the lead on lap 1. Behind him it was Dear, Caitlin Leonard, Tryton Temple and William Saunders. Leonard, who missed out on a win last race with a broken rear gear, took second from dear while Saunders, Temple and Jarrett Payton three wide for fourth.

Behind that triad Leddy, Dustin Hurley and Robert Kelm were three wide for seventh. At halfway it was Da. Hurley, coming up on traffic, Leonard, Dear, Leddy and Payton. Leddy then got third after a three abreast battle with Dear and Payton. The threesomes continued with Leonard, Leddy and Dear trying it for second.

A lap 14 caution finally gave everyone a chance to take a breath. Da. Hurley got away clean with Leddy and Leonard side by side for second and Dear door to door with Payton for fourth. Leddy took the second spot with Payton by Dear. Ben Mikulencak, also trying the top side, got by Dear and Temple for fifth.

Leddy caught Da. Hurley on lap 17 and was able to drive past him for the lead on lap 18. Da. Hurley, staying on the bottom, tried to give Leddy one last shot coming to the checkers. Unfortunately that didn't work out well when he spun in front of the field collecting Leonard, Mikulencak, among others, shaking up the finish order. Ahead of that Leddy in the C3 Speed Horse, Reflective Wrecker, CNC Grafix, GM crate powered, Oval Components Chassis was taking the checkers.

“One of my pit guys watched the Limited Late Model race and told me they were running the top,” commented Leddy. “It seemed to be the fastest place on the track. Thankfully I had an outside starting spot so I was able to get up in that tacky area and pass a lot of cars up there.”

“I noticed a couple front ends start coming up towards me, pushing up. I guess they were the middle car in a three wide battle. I didn't know that then. But I did notice them coming up.”

“I was kind of worried about running the top off too soon. I saw the 40 car(Hurley) was fast around the bottom and hoped the top didn't go away for me those last few laps after that restart.”

All in Designs Pure Stocks

93 Aaron Leddy, 9s Jarrett Payton, 98 William Saunders, 15d Jamie Dear, 43 Jamie Fuller, 6 Daniel Preston, 99t Tryton Temple, 48 Robert Kelm, 4d Dustin Hurley, 182 Ben Mikulencak, 30v Matthew Villarreal, 66 Adam Torres, 17 Casey Lowe, 7x Janel Duncan, 13m Jeremy Watson, 36z George Quintanilla, 40 Dakota Hurley, 9c Catilin Leonard, 88 Brandy Torres, 50 Darrel Jones, 15 William Cavender, 23 Andy Kirkland

Pure Stock B-main(top 7 to A-main)

43 Jamie Fuller, 6 Daniel Preston, 7x Janel Hilla, 36z George Quintanilla, 88 Brandy Torres, 50 Darrel Jones, 15 William Cavender, 30 Riley Heil, 44k Katrine Keylich, 68 Kenny Wright, 39 Sonny Kinnaman jr., w28 Joe Martin---dntg

Pure Stock heats

Heat;15d Jamie Dear, 9c Caitlin Leonard, 48 Robert Kelm, 4d Dustin Hurley, 88 Brandy Torres, 17 Casey Lowe, 50 Darrel Jones, 44k Kathrine Keylich, 30 Riley Heil

Heat 2; 40 Dakota Hurley, 98 William Saunders, 30v Matthew Villarreal, m13 Jeremy Watson, 66 Adam Torres, 36z George Quintanilla, w28 Joe Martin, 15 William Cavender, 39 Sonny Kinnaman jr.---BF(safety gear)

Heat 3; 23 Andy Kirkland, 99t Tryton Temple, 9s Jarrett Payton, 93 Aaron Leddy, 182 Ben Mikulencak, 7x Janel Duncan, 43 Jamie Fuller, 68 Kenny Wright, 6 Daniel Preston

Carter King of Compacts

GB Carter(Harlingen) racing in memory of his big sister, Margaret Felps, went wire to wire in the 20-lap Sport Compact feature. Carter was hounded by Trevor Bettis early, then Casey Lowe in the latter stages. After a late restart Carter, in the Don Wilde Racecraft, VW Rabbit 'Thumper' made it two in a row with the victory.

The normally incident free Sport Compact feature was all but that as cautions dotted the event. It took three tries to even get a lap in with Carter, Bettis, Lowe, Roy Easler jr. and Loryn Noah in the top five. Another set of yellows kept action broken up but Carter was finally able to get a lead while Bettis and Lowe swapped second. At halfway it was Carter, Bettis, Lowe, Easler, and Randy Frautschi in the top five.

The second half saw several near misses as a slower car spun in front of a three car fight for fourth, then the lead trio. This set up a 4-lap dash to the checkers. Carter got clear while Lowe and Bettis continued their personal battle with Lowe securing the spot. As the white waved Carter had about five car lengths on Lowe carrying the margin to the checkers.

“I was being real careful,” said Carter. “The track was getting real slick and I was trying not to overdrive it. It would have been easy to lose control. Most of time it's us waiting for the other classes and their yellows/restarts. Tonight it was our night.”

“In the heat races the track was very fast. We lost some guys. The track slicked up pretty good for the feature. The only place I found to run smooth enough was on the bottom. It felt really slow, like I was just idling around. It was actually the fastest way around.”

“When I'm being challenged I just try to protect the bottom. Almost no one can make an outside pass. It took my twelve races of getting my butt kicked last year to figure that out. Protect the bottom.”

“Winning makes the trip home a little nicer. My sister, Margaret Felps, passed away about a month ago and left me some money to sponsor the car in her will. This race was for her. I also want to thank Brown Chevy for sponsoring our class out here. I love this track and the people here. It's real fun coming up here. I'm retired so this is my full time job now.”

Brown Chevrolet Sport Compacts

77 GB Carter, 23 Kasey Krauss, 57 Trevor Bettis, 38 Kirk Ball, 16 Charles Earnhardt jr., 01 Randy Frautschi, 7l Loryn Noah, 13 Chad Miller, 11 Alex Foley, 14 Breighton Owens, 39 Roy Easler jr., 24 Felipe Ruiz, 33 Jamie Garner---dns, 4 Cody Earnhardt---dns, 14 Brandon McCall---dns, 11b Colton Borlace---dns

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 77 GB Carter, 33 Jamie Garner, 57 Trevor Bettis, 39 Roy Easler jr., 7L Loryn Noah,01 Randy Frautschi, 13 Chad Miller, 74 Breighton Owens

Heat 2; 23 Kasey Krauss, 24 Felipe Ruiz, 11 Alex Foley, 38 Kirk Ball, 4 Cody Earnhardt, 11b Colton Borlace, 16 Charles Earnhardt jr.---dntg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived