Sunday Special @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 4/22/18

Sunday Special @ I-37 Speedway by R&M Promotions, 4/22/18

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(April 22nd, 2018) After what was scheduled to a full Saturday night of racing including the DCRST, I-37 Speedway ran a special Sunday show. Mother Nature intervened once again with a light mist and drizzle throughout the day forcing officials to postpone the event due to an overly muddy pit area.

This was the second time the Dwarf Car Racing Series of Texas was on the slate and rain became an issue. The original season non-points opener was also washed out. Could the DCRST be the rain curse?

This time the track opted to move the race to Sunday afternoon as opposed to rescheduling on top of other local tracks the following weekend. The early start time, in the middle of the day, made for some interesting track conditions as the sun quickly dried up any moisture. Tracks crews did what they could to stay on top of the dust and during intermission re-bladed the wash boards in the corners.

A good field of almost 90 cars/teams showed up to have a go at the Sunday Special on the ¼ mile, semi-banked, dirt track south of San Antonio. The Go-Kart classes almost doubled with no other tracks running Karts on Sunday. Even without any more than social media advertising approximately 150 fans showed up to cheer on their favorites

The days racing card included the Cash bred Off Road IMCA Modifieds, Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds, Nogalitos Gear Limited Late Models, SABFI Transportation Street Stocks, All in Designs Pure Stocks, Brown Chevrolet Sport Compacts and the Russ Parker Construction Go-Karts.

Modified Money to Minten

Defending track champion, Talon Minten (Seguin) outlasted the field to take home the IMCA Modified main event. The scheduled 20-lapper was cut to 15 after half the field was sidelined almost before a green flag lap was in the books. Minten got the lead from early point man Chris Morris, who drives with only hand controls. Minten, in the 3-D Landscaping, La Coste Meat Market, Rising Star Racing Bodies, All In Designs, Swenson Racing Components, crate powered Hughes Chassis then out paced the remaining field for the win.

On the fourth try the feature finally got underway with Morris taking the lead into turn 1 trailed by Minten, Mike Martin, Landon Bednarz and Rick Green. After a restart it was nearly three wide for the lead between, Morris, Minten, Martin coming off turn 2. Minten grabbed control on lap 4 while Morris banged the wall as Martin took second.

A Bednarz spin collected Green and Marcus Mikulencak bringing out a caution that saw Dillon Tindall get by Martin and Morris for second. After some contact Green found himself in the front stretch wall ending his night. Once back to green Tindall and Morris battled wheel to wheel giving Minten the opportunity to pull away to a comfortable lead at the checkers.

“We had a good car Sunday.” said Minten. “With all of the wrecks and cautions I'm glad I started up front and stayed clear of it all. The track wasn't too bad for our feature, I felt like the top line was dominant so whoever got up there first would likely stay out front.”

“The weekend didn't start out too good. We had a scare early Saturday morning with our dog. He woke us up in the middle of the night with uncontrollable muscle tremors. We rushed him to the emergency vet and it turned out he had gotten into some fire ant killer. We got him flushed out and drugged up and he's back at home doing great.”

“Later Saturday I had some trailer issues that put me in a bind, so it worked out that the races got postponed to Sunday. I have to give a huge thank you to Russel and Anthony Gordon for letting me borrow their trailer for this weekend."

5adeb43ca4f34_DSC_0068(1280x851)(2).thumb.jpg.8fce76881f15d37b86375c7b55eefc08.jpg

Cash Bred Off Road IMCA Modifieds

14t Talon Minten, 86 Dillon Tindall, 94 Chris Morris, 16 Landon Bednarz, 377 Don Banker, 5 Mike Martin, 82 Rick Green, 47 Brandon Lawrence, 1 Marcus Mikulencak, 01 Derek Scott jr., 125 Jason Borlace, 8g Greg Dinsmore, 58 Rowdy Flanagan, 15s Chris Jones

IMCA Modified heats

Heat 1; 14t Talon Minten, 82 Rick Green, 5 Mike Martin, 94 Chris Morris, 16 Landon Bednarz, 47 Brandon Lawrence, 15s Chris Jones

Heat 2

125 Jason Borlace, 8g Greg Dinsmore, 01 Derek Scott jr., 377 Don Banker, 1 Marcus Mikulencak, 86 Dillon Tindall, 58 Rowdy Flanagan

Lucky Leonard Lands in Winners Circle

Cody Leonard(Corpus Christi) got a break in the 20-lap Sport Modified feature being in the right place at the right time. Leonard, who had been slowly closing the early leader, Lawrence Mikulencak, got the lead after L. Mikulencak lost a radiator hose. Leonard in the CD Electric, KR Compressors, Coastal Diesel, Swenson Racing Shocks, Ace Transmission, Duct Tape Wraps by Cody, Rachel Plant Picture Taker, Wells Racing Engines, 09 Express Chassis then eased away after a late caution for the win.

At the start of the 16-car, 20-lap feature L. Mikulencak led into turn 1 trailed by Chase Havely, Leonard, Marcus Mikulencak and Monty Nichols. Leonard quickly dispensed Havely for second while Johnny Torres, who made repairs after a last lap crash in his heat, got along side Nichols for fifth. With Leonard on the chase after L. Mikulencak, Torres got by Nichols and fought with M. Mikulencak for fourth.

At halfway it was L. Mikulencak, Leonard still closing slightly, Havely, M. Mikulencak and Torres. Going into turn 3 L. Mikulencak saw a puff out of smoke from his car and pulled to stop in turn 4. This handed the lead to Leonard for the lap 14 restart that saw M. Mikulencak get by Havely for second, while Torres and Cody Beddoe battled for fourth.

Beddoe got turned and collected Nichols and Eddy Ross for a lap 16 yellow. On the restart Torres took second from M. Mikulencak while Talon Minten, coming from the back, was side by side with Havely. As Torres and M. Mikulencak swapped second, Leonard was creeping away to grab the victory. Torres edged out M. Mikulencak at the flag for second.

“A lot of patience, a lot of luck,” exclaimed Leonard. “It would have been a good race eventually with Lawrence up front if I could have caught him. The tires started blowing up and I was able to start running him down. I soon as I started closing in they said he had a water hose blow off. It definitely would have been a good race.”

“I'm used to a lot of night racing on dry slick. Day dry slick races are a different story. I've only maybe ran 5(races) tops. Boone helped a lot. You never know when you're going up there.”

“We actually didn't change anything for racing during the day. We were going to make a shock change, but they bladed the track. We wanted to compensate for the ruts, but after they graded it we left it alone. It worked out.”

“Honestly, running the Late Model was no help at all. It was a fresh track. From the time I ran the Late Model until the time I ran the Sport Mod, it was two different tracks.”

“I need to thank my mom, dad and my girlfriend.”

Swenson Racing Products Sport Modifieds

12 Cody Leonard, 66 Johnny Torres, 03 Marcus Mikulencak, 2 Talon Minten, 28m Mason Casteneda, 31 Chase Havely, 30 Chris Swenson, bd3 Monty Nichols III, bd2 Eddy Ross, 77 Cody Beddoe, 11t Tom Grothues, 22m Anthony Gordon, 55m Mike Morris, 87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 24r Robby Minten, 26g JJ Jennings, 95 Larry Lewis---dns, 101 Tanner Whitmire---dns

Sport Mod heats

Heat 1; 87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 12 Cody Leonard, 24r Robby Minten, 28m Mason Casteneda, 30 Chris Swenson, 55m Mike Morris

Heat 2; 31 Chase Havely, 95 Larry Lewis, 66 Johnny Torres, 77 Cody Beddoe, 11t Tom Grothues, 101 Tanner Whitmire—BF rough driving

Heat 3; 03 Marcus Mikulencak, bd3 Monty Nichols III, 26g JJ Jennings, 22m Anthony Gordon, bd2 Eddy Ross, 2 Talon Minten

Trey for Trey

Multi-time track champion, Trey Votion(San Antonio) has been on an early season tear after losing his title last season. Votion added another win to his total taking the lead after midway then easing away for the win in the Nogalitos Gear, SRC Performance, Mission Race Engines, Kelly Racing Chassis.

At the start of the 15-lap feature Landon Farquar was first off turn 2, but it was former pavement Late Model ace, Tommy Grimes leading at the line. Rene Mares fell in line second, with Farquar, Votion and Robby Minten in tow. Minten made an early move up getting along side Mares for second. The two ran door to door for several laps before Minten got the spot.

Benind them Votion was beginning his move trying both the top and bottom. Votion got second at the halfway point, but trailed Grimes by a half straightaway. A caution for debris would erase Grimes' lead and begin his run of bad luck. Votion made a move on the restart that saw Grimes break something in the rear suspension, ending a good run. From there Votion pulled away while Minten, Shane Moore, Farquar and Cody Leonard battled for second.

“Day racing was different,” explained Votion. “It was nice getting home early though. I fell back a bit early just because the way traffic was sorting out. Once we strung out a little, it was just making good laps.”

“The feature was smooth top to bottom and had grip top to bottom so you could run anywhere. It was awesome. The heat race had grip on entry, but was slick off, so it wasn't as racy. Landon(Farquar) had a good run in the heat race. I could get to him, but not pass.”

Nogalitos Gear Limited Late Models

99 Trey Votion, 9 Robby Minten, 18 Shane Moore, 78 Landon Farquar, 5 Cody Leonard, 22t Tommy Grimes, 13 Howie Marcx, 22 Rene Mares, 93 Johnny Torres---dntg

Limited Late Model heats

Heat 1; 78 Landon Farquar, 99 Trey Votion, 9 Robby Minten, 18 Shane Moore, 93 Johnny Torres

Heat 2; 22t Tommy Grimes, 13 Howie Marcx, 22 Rene Mares, 5 Cody Leonard

Trigg Tames Street Stocks

The rivalry between Mike Trigg(Lake Hills) and track champ Wade Jones heated up again Sunday as the two front row starters made contact a couple times. That ended the night for Jones and sent Trigg to the tail. Undaunted, Trigg motored his way back up to get the lead from Shawn Moore on lap 3 then pull away until a late caution rebunched the field. Trigg then had to hold off a late charge from Lynn Fox to secure the victory.

On the initial start spins up front in turns 1-2 for brought about a complete restart. During the relining the two were said to make contact on the back stretch. Coming to green Jones, who looked like the right front suspension was broken, clipped Trigg sending him around. Jones was unable to continue, while Trigg was sent to the tail.

Finally under green it was Moore getting the lead pursued by Fox, Dennis Hilla, Dennis Taber and Trigg coming up fast. Trigg then picked off Taber and Hilla before Taber went over the turn 3 hill getting hung up on the old hot pit tire barrier. On the restart Trigg jumped up top and sailed around Fox and Moore for the lead on lap 4.

Once out front Trigg pulled away while Fox and Moore swapped second. Trigg took the white with almost a full straightaway lead, but Taber looped it in turn 2 to bring out the late yellow. Fox hounded(pun intended) on the restart giving him a look low low in turn 1, then again off turn 4. But it was Trigg in his 'Shaggin Wagon' Willie Cotton Race Engines, Snyper Chassis hanging on for the win.

After the checkers Jones “visited” with Trigg on the front straightaway until cooler heads prevailed.

“The car was good,” replied Trigg. “It's getting better all the time. We made a bunch of changes between the heat and feature for the track. I like day racing, I like dry slick, I liked it.”

“My car has been really good around the top if there's any bite at all that I can find. I get around the top pretty good. It seemed like most of the guys were headed to the bottom. I planned on running the middle-top and going where they weren't.”

“That's not my favorite way to race, never has been.” added Trigg. “It comes down to a respect issue. We've got to get our “stuff” together on the race track. We race each other all the time. We both have very competitive cars. We're going to see each other more often than not. I don't like where it's at right now, but I'm not going to lay down and take it. I've raced for a long time. I'm pretty good about putting the last race behind me. When it comes week after week, you know it's coming, it changes your outlook.”

SABFI Street Stocks

4t Mike Trigg, 14 Lynn Fox, 18 Shawn Moore, 2x Dennis Hilla, 6h Homer Miller, 23 Dennis Taber jr., 41 Wade Jones, 8 Jacob Crow

Street Stock heat

Heat 1; 41 Wade Jones, 4t Mike Trigg, 18 Shawn Moore, 2x Dennis Hilla, 14 Lynn Fox, 6h Homer Miller, 23 Dennis Taber jr., 8 Jacob Crow

Cain Claims Pure Pay Day

For the second race in a row a non-regular went home with a feature win in one of the classes. Last race it was a Nebraska IMCA Modified driver making the long tow. Tonight, the haul wasn't so long as Donald Cain(Willis) made the trip over from the Houston area pay off with a victory in the scheduled 20-lap Pure Stock feature.

Cain, who led every lap, had Sean Ward pressuring him throughout the race. The last half it was Daniel Preston joining the duo up front making a great three-car fight to finish with Cain in his Tomball Bowling, S&S Carburetors, R.B Tile, 5* Motorsports, 41 Shocks, 777 Travel, MRC Chassis holding them both off.

As green waved on the 25-car field it was Cain, from the pole, holding off Brandy Torres for the lap 1 lead. Torres, Ward, Caitlin Leonard and Cheyloh Brodnax filled the next spots. After a series of restarts after a lap 1 spin, Ward was pressuring Cain for the lead while Preston and Leonard were door to door for third. The action slowed after several laps of side by side action for another spin where officials cut the distance to 15 laps.

Back under green Ward was still looking on Cain for the lead with Preston finally taking third from Leonard. Preston quickly caught the leaders with the top three now nose to tail at halfway. Preston then got along side Ward for second, but that didn't give Cain any breathing room as they stayed hot on his tail. Preston was able to edge out Ward for second while Cain was taking the checkers.

“I had just got the car back this past Friday,” replied Cain. “My buddy Mike(Martin) called me and said let’s finish the car. So I got off work Saturday around 3:00 went to his house and we finished the car around 2:30 Sunday morning and left to head to I-37.”

All in Design Pure Stocks

179 Donald Cain, 6 Daniel Preston, 889 Sean Ward, 9c Caitlin Leonard, 58 Cheyloh Brodnax, 48 Robert Kelm, 66 Adam Torres, 57b Les Bettis, 89 William Saunders, 09 Clint Montanio, 182 Ben Mikulencak, 44k Kathrine Keylich, 91w Daniel Waer, 56 Jacob Martin, bd1 Cheryl Gray, 30 Riley Heil, 36z George Quintanilla, 88 Brandy Torres, 25t Travis Slavik, 91 Johnny Westfall, 18r Chris Vincent, w28 Joe Martin, 53 Treyler Caulfield, 39 Sonny Kinnaman, 19 Justin Todd

Pure Stock heats

Heat 1; 179 Donald Cain, 58 Cheyloh Brodnax, 6 Daniel Preston, 91 Johnny Westfall, 182 Ben Mikulencak, 30 Riley Heil, 18r Chris Vincent, 25t Travis Slavik,

Heat 2; 88 Brandy Torres, 9c Caitlin Leonard, 66 Adam Torres, bd1 Cheryl Gray, 36z George Quintanilla, 56 Jacob Martin, 53 Treyler Caulfield, 09 Clint Montanio

Heat 3; 889 Sean Ward, 57 Les Bettis, 48 Robert Kelm, 44k Kathrine Keylich, 91w Daniel Waer, 98 William Saunders, w28 Joe Martin, 39 Sonny Kinnaman, 19 Justin Todd

Ball Breaks Through for Sport Compact Cash

Kirk Ball (Adkins) celebrated his first win in twenty years edging out Brandon McCall and early leader Jamie Garner. Ball, a former Figure-8 racer from the north west, made a three wide move for the top spot just past halfway on a restart. He then had to hold off McCall and Garner on a last lap restart to secure the victory.

At the start of the 14-car Sport Compact feature, Garner inched ahead of McCall, Ronnie Schoenfeldt, Roy Easler and Jeremy Hernandez. Trevor Bettis got by Hernadez with Ball following. Ball, Bettis and Easler were then three wide for fourth. Up front McCall was now putting some heat on Garner for the lead. Casey Lowe got a scare on lap 6 after clipping an infield tire and going up on two wheels, but landed and soldiered on.

Easler took a wild ride after contact with Hernandez sent him sailing, at speed, over the turn 3 hill, but he was able to continue. Once back to green Garner got a good jump with Ball getting third from Schoenfeldt. At halfway the top three were now nose to tail while Gordon Dowdy, Bettis and GB Carter were three wide for sixth.

After a lap 12 caution McCall looked inside Garner for the lead. The two drifted up in turns 3-4 leaving Ball an opening. Ball jumped on the chance to dive between the two and infield to get the top spot on lap 13. With two to go it was still either ones race, and slower traffic was coming up quick.

As the lead trio was being shown the white, Bettis stalled out in turn 2 leaving the flagman no option but to throw a caution. Ball, in Krystal Communication, Rachel Plant Picture Taker, Speedway Signs, VW Sirroco, got a good jump on green and was able to hold on the final lap for the victory that he dedicated to his wife who he lost in an auto accident at the end of last year.

“I told myself 'I'm going for it,' I gave it gas, it struck and I went,” said Ball. “I saw both of them slide up a little bit. I looked and there was that white tire and there was enough room between Brandon and the tire. It was one of those things. I didn't really anticipate them sliding up. When they did I said there's my shot.”

“I've know Jamie(Garner) a long time and we all race and study each. When we race we watch what each other is doing. That way we know what they're going to do, spin, drift wide and we can know where to go. I actually tagged the wall earlier and thought that was going to end my night. Then stayed to the outside and started running them down a little bit. Then that last green, white, checker I thought Brandon was going to get me.”

“I quit racing for a long time. I raced Figure-8 up in the north west. Then I transferred into what they call Beaver Fork Mustangs. I raced those for a long time. Then I took ten years off until I moved down here. I said I wasn't going to race until I moved next door to Jamie Garner.”

Brown Chevrolet Sport Compacts

38 Kirk Ball, 14 Brandon McCall, 33 Jamie Garner, 23 Kasey Krauss, 63 Gordon Dowdy, 77 GB Carter, 16 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 39 Charles Earnhardt III, 121 Roy Easler, 01 Ryan Frautschi, 57 Trevor Bettis, 17 Casey Lowe, 6p Jeremy Hernandez, 8 Lauren Crow

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 16 Ronnie Schoenfeldt, 121 Roy Easler, 23 Kasey Krauss, 38 Kirk Ball, 63 Gordon Dowdy, 77 GB Carter, 01 Ryan Frautschi

Heat 2; 33 Jamie Garner, 14 Brandon McCall, 6p Jeremy Hernandez, 39 Charles Earnhardt III, 57 Trevor Bettis, 17 Casey Lowe, 8 Lauren Crow

Russ Parker Construction Go-Kart features(top 3)

Senior Division

Chayse Mrazak, Faye Bettis, Ryker Hernandez

Junior Division

Peyton Jones, Ruby Bettis, Sterling Hensley

Youth Division

Blaine Markgraf, Woody Powell, Hayes Bettis

Archived