A heads-up on Lone Star Legacy fuel cells

A few of the original Allison cars have fuel cell bladders that are getting up in years and a couple of them we know about have developed leaks. Not a good thing in a race car.

So, we are going to be looking at fuel cells in our Lone Star Legacy cars over the next few events. If you know your cell is having issues, please get with James Huff.

Yes, we know that the approved Legacy fuel cells are very expensive and we also know that Allison no longer has any available, at least when we called them to inquire. James has put some research time into this and has been talking with the Fuel Safe folks. Although James has no desire to stock fuel cells, he can save our teams a little money if he orders 3 or more at a time. But he would need the money up front before placing an order, which is only fair.

We all know that having a safe fuel cell is an absolute necessity in a race car and we are asking that our Legacy teams check their fuel cells and replace any that are leaking or are suspect. And no, it is not enough just to plug up any holes in the container and hope for the best.

Nick and James

Any idea on price for the replacement fuel cell?

I know James said they are expensive, but don't have a figure for ya. Give James a call. He has all the information.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I know some of you are needing bladder replacement for your fuel cells.

I have talked with Fuel Safe this morning to see if we can get a better price than originally quoted. They are putting the pencil to it and will let me know and will also let me know how long it will be on manufacturing and getting them to us. Will be ordering at least 4 at this time.

Thanks,

Janette Huff

Cory,

I believe that particular cell is part of the NASCAR-inspired"Flex-Fuel" system. We are aware that several Lone Star Legacy teams have altered their carbs to handle not only pump gas, but also propane and nitro. Innovation at its best.

Nick

I tried to get james to use the BBQ pit ignitor i put on the dash for the propane injection. He mumbled something about a ball of fire but I didnt understand him.

James installed a new, less expensive, fuel cell into the Lone Star Legacy last week. Will be on display at Central Texas Speedway this Saturday. It's not a direct replacement for the original Allison cell, but is significantly less expensive. It fits nicely in the required location after some minor tweaking. The biggest drawback is that it has a little less capacity than the Allison cell.

Of course, folks still can obtain the more expensive version.

We will be testing his new cell this Saturday. Come and take a look.

Nick

Yep, Cory. Bribes gratefully accepted, although it does appear that your offer is just a tad on the cheapskate side of things.

Just make sure the carb and Dr. Pepper are nice and cold and that the low-calorie burger is at least a quarter -pounder and cooked slightly more than medium with no mayo, but with lettuce, cheese, bacon, thin-sliced avocado, pickles, brown mustard, pickle relish and ketchup.

Four-barrel carbs came shipped from those folks in Alabama with the car, right?

Nick

Well I just discovered my fuel cell is leaking. Guess that bladder finally failed on mine too. Is the series good with that modification? Any concerns? James, do we have any actual written dimensions/specs as far as the support frame modifications go so we are all the same? I have some Picts of yours. I don't weld so let me know if anyone wants to take a crack at the welding part.

I have a list of the pieces for the framework that I can post.What I really need to do is do another one and take pictures of every step of the construction.

As far as the series acceptance,we really have only two options--$500+ for a new bladder or going with this mod for less than $300.

The frame of the car is not altered in any way,only added to so that if you ever want to go back to the original cell just a few cuts with a sawsall will do it.

the biggest drawback I see is the reduced fuel capacity but until we run 50+ laps that shouldn't be a concern

Archived