dne 9 -- Bobby Burrows/Yorktown, TX Ford Fusion

dne 94c -- Tory Christopher/Universal City, TX VW GTI

dne 18 -- Lanny Young/Odessa, TX VW 2K Sedan   

dne 20 -- Sergio Hexsel/Live Oak, TX VW GTI

dne 21 -- Richard Adams/San Antonio, TX Ford Mustang

dne 27 -- Bill LaBarge/Bryan, TX BMW

dne 50 -- Rick Dawdy/San Antonio, TX VW Rabbit 

Margin of victory - 5.794 seconds between #15 & #70h

#26 Lalo Leal's 15.077 fast time doesn't break CCS/TPS track record 14.847 which

was set by Mike Merrell in the #70 VW Scirocco recorded on August 7, 2010.

Lalo Leal wins one bonus point for his non-record fastest qualifying lap

Note: #5 penalized from 2nd place to 4th place for using a non-complying carburetor

dna = did not arrive … dnt = did not time … dns = did not start … dne = did not enter

® - Eligible for 2013 TPS "Rookie of the Year" Award

TPS thanks all May 18th purse sponsors:

Janet's Cakery Inc of Corpus Christi thru - Patrick Limerick -- $500

Guerra's Lawn Service thru Johnny Guerra, Corpus Christi --- $100

George Merrell Racing of Kingsland, Texas -------------------- $100

Added May 18th sponsor - Texas Pro Sedans Racing Series-- $3

TPS thanks CCS for hosting 6 races during the 38th consecutive TPS season

Results declared official for publication and website posting by TPS Race Director David Mackey

TPS Results were prepared for distribution and website posting by the TPS Publications Office Director

TEXAS PRO SEDANS 2013 REMAINING SCHEDULE (Subject to Change, Additions, Deletions)

Date -- Track

Jun 22 - CCS – Qualifying Time Trials, 35 Lap Feature Race

Jul 13 -- CCS – Qualifying Time Trials, 35 Lap Feature Race

Aug 10 - CCS – Qualifying Time Trials, 35 Lap Feature Race

Sept 7 -- SAS – Race format to be determined and announced later

Oct 5 --- CCS - Qualifying Time Trials, 35 Lap Feature Race

Nov 16- CTS – Qualifying Time Trials, 30 Lap Feature Race

Date TBA ------ 2013 - Texas Pro Sedans Awards Dinner (time and location TBA)

Car# - Driver - 2013 TPS Point Standings thru May 18:

1 -- 70 - Sergio Hexsel - 39 points

2 -- 1 - James Hogan - 33 points

3 -- 25 - J.J. Osburn III - 27 points

4 -- 3 - Bob Sherland - 25 points

5 ® 5 - Jeff Meeks - 24 points

6 -- 26 - Lalo Leal - 23 points

7 -- 28b -Sterling Beck - 23 points

8 -- 15 - Tom Johnson - 20 points

9 -- 88 - Scott Schuster - 20 points

10 -- 2 - Cody Limerick - 19 points

11 -- 29 - Johnny Guerra - 17 points

12 -- 10m - Bruce Mabrito - 14 points

13 -- 55 - John Miesen - 11 points

14 -- 28 - Lisa Sandoval - 10 points

15 -- 77 - Mike Knotts - 7 points

16 ® 17 - Don Yocum - 6 points

17 ® 1t - Tommy Goldman 1 point

18 -- 22 - Ozzy Osburn - 0 points

19 -- 7 - Pete Wright - no points

20 -- 7s - Jesse Sandoval Sr-no points

21 -- 8 - Mike McCain - no points

22 -- 9 - Bobby Burrows - no points

23 -- 10 - Tory Christopher - no points

24 -- 18 - Lanny Young - no points

25 -- 21 - Richard Adams - no points

26 -- 27 - Bill LaBarge - no points

27 -- 50 -Rick Dawdy - no points

® Eligible for 2013 TPS Rookie of the year Award

TPS Point standings calculated and prepared for website posting by the TPS Publications Office Director

GOOD RACE MY BROTHER ASK ME WHO I THOUGHT WAS GOING TO WIN .I SAID YOU CAN NEVER PICK THE WINNER IN TPS ...I SAT IN THE STANDS TONIGHT .COULD NOT BARE TO HANG OUT IN THE PITS AFTER WORKING SO HARD TO MAKE THE RACE ONLY TO HAVE A GREAT RUNNING MOTOR UP TILL FRIDAY PRACTICE .DONT KNOW YET WHAT WENT SOUTH BUT A FRONT RUNNER COULD OUT RUN IT ..HOPE TO MAKE IT THE NEXT RACE ...

I have been asked by TPS Race Director David Mackey to post the following reply to Daniel Wilkerson’s post , above.

====================================================================

Daniel, I would like to respond to your question about the penalty to move the #5 car to the end of the lead lap finishers that we imposed after the post-race technical inspection on May 18th at Corpus Christi Speedway. For the record, the infraction was the modification/removal of the stock air horn.

You asked, “Hmm so you’re saying if I wanted to put a 750 4 barrel on long as I lap the field twice It's cool right?” No, we’re not saying that at all.

Let me give you some background information which I hope will clarify this for you.

As you know, some local/regional racing organizations impose severe penalties for any infraction of their rules. Often this involves complete disqualification event for even relatively minor infractions.

In an effort to more closely make the penalty fit the severity of the infraction, seven seasons ago TPS announced and adopted a more conservative, and we think a fairer, penalty system. Several times over the past few years, rules infractions that TPS considered “minor” drew “minor” penalties. Without mentioning any names, there were drivers in the May 18th event who have received similar “to the end of the lead lap” penalties in the past. Over the years, other “minor” technical infractions have been dealt with by TPS in a consistent manner.

In this instance, there were four cars on lead lap at the finish. Car #5 was penalized behind the rest of the lead-lap cars because we considered this - the removal of the stock air horn - a fairly minor infraction (as opposed, for instance, to running a 750 carb as in your hypothetical example). If there had been 10 cars on the lead lap, however, the #5 would have been moved from 2nd to 10th.

That being said, TPS fully understands and appreciates that other racing organizations and/or tracks have different rules and applications and we are not attempting to say that our way of doing things is better (or worse) than any other system.

I hope this explanation will help you understand the penalty we imposed. We are not interested in engaging in a public debate, however, and any further discussion should take place with me in person, or at least in private.

By the way, all TPS rules and membership renewal forums are available at www.texasprosedans.com.

Thank you,

David Mackey, Race Director of the Texas Pro Sedans

A acceptable answer (I hate seeing a good Holley 500 with the horn milled off), I know that should clear up many questions not only by me but also other drivers, members, and fans that were interested and questioning the infraction and why some peneltys deserve a lesser spanking than others. I do appreciate the professional response from you David [edited out by Nick Holt, 5/22/2013]. On the note of keeping my questions to private i do not agree the only reason for privacy is if you have something to hide which I do not (this was not a sensitive question by any means and any other tps member or fan, whatever could have clarifyed it) Thank you again and as always enjoyed the show.

Daniel,

TPS answered your hypothetical question in a polite, thorough and thoughtful manner.

Likewise, their request to keep the thread from becoming a negative, public debate seems equally reasonable.

Nick

In this instance, there were four cars on lead lap at the finish. Car #5 was penalized behind the rest of the lead-lap cars because we considered this - the removal of the stock air horn - a fairly minor infraction (as opposed, for instance, to running a 750 carb as in your hypothetical example). If there had been 10 cars on the lead lap, however, the #5 would have been moved from 2nd to 10th.

i think it was a good question cause a lot of us didnt know what was wrong with the carb. in them 2013 rules it says if for any reason u have to run an a part that is not allowed to bring it up before the race to see what would need to be done to keep everything even...

an there would have been 5 cars on the lead lap but guess i needed to keep from gettin run over an messin up a rear end

i think it was a good question cause a lot of us didnt know what was wrong with the carb. in them 2013 rules it says if for any reason u have to run an a part that is not allowed to bring it up before the race to see what would need to be done to keep everything even...

an there would have been 5 cars on the lead lap but guess i needed to keep from gettin run over an messin up a rear end

YOU SURE YOU DID NOT LEAVE ANY CAKE IN THE TURTLE .MIGHT BE THE REASON FOR THE CAN OPENER ON THE QUARTER PANEL.I HAVE NOT FIGURE THE REASON WHY ..I KNOW HE MUNCHED ON THE 15 QUARTER TOO ..BUT HAD SOME HELP WITH THAT ONE .

Archived