Tires for Street-Stocks and Pure-Stocks?

TRP

Ok guys and gals, I know this is a can of worms. But I would like to get a survey to get a concensus on tires for our class of street stocks at TRP and SOS.

Our rules are basically te same between our two tracks.

If we make a change, it will be optional for 2013 to give time for guys to use them up next season,

then it would be mandatory for 2014.

What tires would you like to see in the street stock class?

Pure stocks, Im thinking of a allowing any G60 style tire, SouthWest Speed has them for $69.95 or a

Stock 205-70/R15 DOT tire (stock).

Let me know what you think.

This is just my opinion not a class i race in but make it mandatory out the gate. I know me as a driver i would not race a track that allowed a tire that i perceived as an advantage so "the drivers can burn up what they got" . Thats what the off season is for to get ready for the following year. Like i said i have no dog in this fight just what i was thinking. Your creating a tire war unintentionally. And if im a new driver do i run the old tire rule cause john doe just won three races with this tire. Tough decision but good luck ken

This is just my opinion not a class i race in but make it mandatory out the gate. I know me as a driver i would not race a track that allowed a tire that i perceived as an advantage so "the drivers can burn up what they got" . Thats what the off season is for to get ready for the following year. Like i said i have no dog in this fight just what i was thinking. Your creating a tire war unintentionally. And if im a new driver do i run the old tire rule cause john doe just won three races with this tire. Tough decision but good luck ken

Dooley noted sir. Thank you.

You know my opinion g60's all the way. If you want to allow the southwest speed tire for pure stock great! But dont make the mistake of putting your street stocks at a big time disadvantage for those that run the shootout. No way in hell will any car be close to competitive in the shootout races with southwest speed tire against kk704 and hoosier g60's. Street stock are true all out race cars and g60's are an appropriate tire for them. Plus they can sell the take offs to pure stock drivers since all pure stocks at sts, i37, sos and now possibly even cbs will be on g60's.

Change is a difficult thing to deal with but if you want to race you will adapt and survive the change. The racers opinion is a valuable thing but I don’t think we will ever totally agree on the rules.

The only request I have is that TRP and SOS have the same rules for this class because they are so close together.

If we switch to g-60s would you allow additional items like the I-37 cars? (Weight jacks, shock relocation, and maybe match their motor rules?)

At this point I would lean toward the g-60 tire if we can make some additional changes and not just tires. This change will be a hurdle at first but I think the best path for this class in the long run. I appreciate your effort to get the racers opinion on this matter.

Either way the class goes, I plan to adapt and am glad to see TRP is opening next year.

Just a question....is there a reason that there are NOT common rules between all tracks. In my opinion if I owned a track I would see that I worked with other track owners to come up with a set of rules that would benefit each track/drivers. Ex. when there is a rain out all you do is load it up and go to that track. No questions asked. Are the IMCA rules not very good to follow, they put them out there? Not sure difference on all classes..just a thought. Hope I get to race in Edna a few times next year...to bring the car back home((humm))...

None of the 5 tracks in the area are imca. Edna and SOS since they opened always ran big wheels and tires. It was just their thing for full bodied cars. This was way before I37 and way before STS. When STS opened they did the same thing. Eventually I37 came along and they were running imca shows which brought in Istocks on g60 tires. So that is where it started. STS then went to them because of cheap takeoffs from modifieds and over the years they developed a street stock class that runs them. Through the years though even with SOS and Texana closing and reopening the big tires were what people had been running and that never changed until the end of the year big shows where cars were needed from all directions. They tried it and for the most part it worked. The shootout was born and the differences for the most part worked. Now Cotton Bowl Speedway is opening and Texana is reopening if a change was to happen this is the time to do it otherwise leave it as is. But Ken and the Stacy's owners of both Texana and SOS are probably not content on current car counts and are exploring ideas to help that. In the long run it would be the best thing ever in south tx for stock cars and I hope everyone can see the bigger picture.

Something that would be a big benefit is this. The rules dont have to be a mirror copy of each other but with the basic same rules from the 5 tracks if would allow cars to try those tracks when the opportunity knocked. But it also allows cars to come from Houston and Central Texas that run g60's as well. It brings all 5 tracks (region) together for the first time ever. Then it comes down to who can promote and run the best show (competition). This should make for better and more consistant running of shows, great for racing and everyone involved no matter what class it is. This could be the start of a region working together for racing, for themselves and the teams.

This is true but i will just use my self as an example i am a budget racer and i so happened to come across 6 brand new 10 inch dirt bozz tires with the stickers still on em for a good deal ...$500 (a $900 value las time i checked) so i bought em as well as some new 10 inch aero wheels.. a couple months back..so i for one would appreciate burn off time. If we were to go to mandatory 8 inch wheels and diff tires next season i cant say i would be thrilled about it.. but i also think g60s would be for the best for the class in the long run

Rumor is that i-37, STS, and Cotton Bowl will all be under the same rule package for street stocks starting in 2013. I think it would benefit TRP and SOS greatly to adopt these rules. In the long run this will be the best move for the class. But doing it now might hurt the class next year. I see half the cars going with the change and the other half not and not racing because of it. I say keep the rules as they are for 2013 but let it be known now that starting in 2014 we are going to these rules. It will give teams much more time to prepare for this change.

:blink:

Street Stock - G60s (8" wide rims) Bead lock allowed on right rear

Pure stocks - SouthWest Speed or 205-70/R15 DOT tire. (cheapest tires on the market)

I like your pure stock ideas....but if it was me...I would allow the street stocks to run 10" wheels for next year and their current tires on the front.... g60 on the rear, then by 2014 g60 and 8" wheels all around

• 2 weeks later...

Archived