thunder tires

cRt racing

I have been on tire rack for the last two days and I can not find the size I need with the tread wear (380) that was talked about at the meeting. So has anything been said if we have to run the 380 tread wear or we can run what ever I have found about 3 or 4 with a 360 tread wear. what is the name of the tire Hi Teck so we might be able to find them and mabe take a look at them

ill call david wright tonight ..see if he remembers what they were ..goodyear is all i remember at this time ...maynot be the tire to go too .but if its cost efective and in all size..long lasting and such .maybe something to look into .... tps has one tire .and bmw .ford .vw bug .rabbits all run the same tire ....i dont suggest going to those though ..when you can run a track tire .it helps every one .when you can go out and afford a tire others cant afford or cant get it in thier size .thats not good .....sumo.s are good tires for what they are .they last all season long .. dont know if you can get em in 13 ... 14.s 15.s and what nots ...

hey oldman , those tires we ran were good year eagles 13 inch ! red river tried the track tire rule , but it didnt work out too good , its all in your motor ! same tires do not even a class out ! dont use the treadwear rule either , durometer rule works the best ! like i said its all about motor not the tires !

if you tech. the motors the tire rule might work ! handling has alot to do with it too . hell you know all this , i have only been racing 8 years , im still learning from you ! when jesse pushed me down the straightaway , i didnt matter what tires i had on , i have never been going that fast in my life .

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we should wait for an official announcement before we buy tires or change gears.If the track does require a track tire Im sure they will sell them at the track like the Towl cities were.

I just dont want to use home made Charley slicks :lol:

Whatever is decided I still need a locked diff.Why should the FWD cars be the only ones spinning one wheel down the straights?

Why is it that the FWD arent allowed locked diff and the others are? just curious

Why is it that the FWD arent allowed locked diff and the others are? just curious

symple ..whats faster ..pulling a car through a turn and off a turn .. .or pushing a car through a turn and off a turn .. ..if you unlocked mikes tps vw .he would have a really hard time keeping up with the other cars .mainly out of the turns .... it would help gb to lock both tires .and i use gb cuz he is the only one running a fwd ..as of last year .....unlocked fwd spins the left front tire on exit .locked they dont spin as easly ..gb would pick up 3 to 5 tenths . thats alot ..he could now stand on it before the midle of the turn and kick some butt .and wont need much motor to do so .....now if those guys in thunders run big motors and can get the power down comeing off the turns as gb car is now ..then maybe the rule can change for him to lock in .dont want it to be to unfair ..but we know what gb can turn now .gb im not picking on you .or any local fwd .just trying to answer this mans question ...so dont read anything into this ..

I have been on tire rack for the last two days and I can not find the size I need with the tread wear (380) that was talked about at the meeting. So has anything been said if we have to run the 380 tread wear or we can run what ever I have found about 3 or 4 with a 360 tread wear. what is the name of the tire Hi Teck so we might be able to find them and mabe take a look at them

ill call david wright tonight ..see if he remembers what they were ..goodyear is all i remember at this time ...maynot be the tire to go too .but if its cost efective and in all size..long lasting and such .maybe something to look into .... tps has one tire .and bmw .ford .vw bug .rabbits all run the same tire ....i dont suggest going to those though ..when you can run a track tire .it helps every one .when you can go out and afford a tire others cant afford or cant get it in thier size .thats not good .....sumo.s are good tires for what they are .they last all season long .. dont know if you can get em in 13 ... 14.s 15.s and what nots ...

hey oldman , those tires we ran were good year eagles 13 inch ! red river tried the track tire rule , but it didnt work out too good , its all in your motor ! same tires do not even a class out ! dont use the treadwear rule either , durometer rule works the best ! like i said its all about motor not the tires !

if you tech. the motors the tire rule might work ! handling has alot to do with it too . hell you know all this , i have only been racing 8 years , im still learning from you ! when jesse pushed me down the straightaway , i didnt matter what tires i had on , i have never been going that fast in my life .

we didnt teach you that part aboult motor only ..lol to really go fast you have to have both ..but you can run some really fast laps with little power if you have the tires to stick .........and the set up ...ofcouse and a driver throw that one in with it ..

symple ..whats faster ..pulling a car through a turn and off a turn .. .or pushing a car through a turn and off a turn .. ..if you unlocked mikes tps vw .he would have a really hard time keeping up with the other cars .mainly out of the turns .... it would help gb to lock both tires .and i use gb cuz he is the only one running a fwd ..as of last year .....unlocked fwd spins the left front tire on exit .locked they dont spin as easly ..gb would pick up 3 to 5 tenths . thats alot ..he could now stand on it before the midle of the turn and kick some butt .and wont need much motor to do so .....now if those guys in thunders run big motors and can get the power down comeing off the turns as gb car is now ..then maybe the rule can change for him to lock in .dont want it to be to unfair ..but we know what gb can turn now .gb im not picking on you .or any local fwd .just trying to answer this mans question ...so dont read anything into this ..

So if a FWD has a locked diff the only way a RWD can be competetive with it is to have more motor?

This must be the best class ever because people stay in it for 25 years and bitch about the same stuff for 25 years. If it's so unfair then move on or build front wheel drive since they are mythical cars that take no setup or driving ability. They just pull thereselves through the turns. LOL .

I tell what's faster....the drivers and crews that do there homework. I could go on but I am not. So some of you that email me to mind my own buisiness set a time and place to discuss it and we will, otherwise keep it to yourself. Thanks and have a good night.

This must be the best class ever because people stay in it for 25 years and bitch about the same stuff for 25 years. If it's so unfair then move on or build front wheel drive since they are mythical cars that take no setup or driving ability. They just pull thereselves through the turns. LOL .

whos bitchen .... you know darn well the differents between locked and unlocked ..and you also know the advantage ..some on here dont know the differents .thats why they ask ..and in turn i tried to explain .and was not bicthen ...... lol ....

Ask any suspension engineer whether FRD or RWD race cars have a built-in handling advantage and they will tell you that the RWD cars have the advantage. I shared some of the reasons why that is true in an earlier post.

Mr. Carter has figured out how to make his FWD VW compensate for the built-in FWD disadvantages. To penalize him for using suspension engineering knowledge to beat high-horsepower RWD cars is just plain wrong IMHO.

When I was asked for some handling advice by an unnamed RWD team based in CC, I had to ask several questions regarding the suspension - motion ratios, roll center heights, camber curves, moment arm lengths, etc - in order to give any sort of meaningful advice. Not to go into detail, but if a team doesn't understand suspension engineering, they will be beaten by a team that does. End of story.

Nick

I tell what\'s faster....the drivers and crews that do there homework. I could go on but I am not. So some of you that email me to mind my own buisiness set a time and place to discuss it and we will, otherwise keep it to yourself. Thanks and have a good night.

ratdaddy who is emailing you .... they can email me aswell ... you have been around all this longer than most ...you have seen it all .and your expert advice is always welcome ..

You see even Nick agrees with GB that frd cars do not have the advantage it is the rwd cars all I would like is to put in camber. I think that is what it is called .I would like the top of the sidewall to look like it was not sliding on the ground . I know pretty much how to fix that problem <_<

Who was telling you to mind your own buisness ratdaddy? At the driver meeting I thought some of the thing you brought up where good idea and as long as your family still own the track you are minding your buisness

Well I have to agree with bj34.The fact is at least a couple of Ford teams HAVE figgured out how to make a RWD car handle so the bar is raised.What bothers me is not only have the rules crippled the front of our cars,that camber?rear steer on the rear has also crippled the back of our cars as well.I just dont think the fast Fords need that much protection,in fact they have stated they dont.This rear camber thing does not slow me down,it burns my rr tire on the outside.I dont think thats what Shawn was wanting but thats the reality.Thats all he understood about suspension.I was helping him get that rear heavy bug to tighten up while helping it turn in the center.The rear steer also helps a nose heave RWD car by taking some push out.I dont remember any time any RWD car was checked for rear steer.

I can live with the open diff if I can adjust the rear to help the tire destruction.Fact is It was my idea to require the open diff from the beginning.With limited grip street tires the FWD cars had an advantage.THEY WILL NOT SPIN OUT.You dont need any suspension tuning,the stager does everything.With an open diff,you must balance the car weight carefully.Now with the super grip R rated tires,the penalities are not needed.In case you think I only consider whats good for me remember Im the one that got the big carbs and racing fuel re-instated after the Fords had trouble with head gaskets.I still use the little carb.

All Im saying is at least give us one end of the car to work with.Eather a locked diff or adjusted rear suspension.Or both if you really want to raise the bar again.

Thumper you know they are not going to give the fwd cars anything but they want to get the thunders all on equal tires to even the field some so you need to slow down going into the corner that way the side of the tire does not get all jacked up and you spend more money to buy new ones <_<

something to look at ..tps has an R&D system ..tps has worked at balancing .... give and take ..if a car typ needs something to help ..they use this ..if it works out ..the rule stays ......... if not it is adjusted ..... all drivers when running with tps have agreed with tps adjustments .and this class now has a more even field [.look at last years championship points finish ...one point ..rwd verses fwd . NO ONE COMPLAINED ....in the last two or three season.s nothing major has been adjusted ..that said something there ..... tps has .tried and trued left side wieght rules ..it works .. though tps cars are more supper street than local set up i know .... the r&d can still work with thunders .... WHY DOES TPS WORK WITH THIS SYSTEM ...ONE ONLY NEEDS TO LOOK AT THE CAR COUNT ON AN AVERAGE TPS RACE .AND SEE THEY TPS HAS MORE CARS RACEN WITH THEM .THAN ANY OTHER SERIES OR LOCAL THUNDER CLASS IN TEX ........ DRAW BACKS ...IF THE TRACK AND DRIVERS OF LOCAL RACEN DONT WANT THAT ....IT ISNT WORTH MUCH .... INSTEAD OF US LOCAL RACERS GOING BACK AND FORTH ALL THE TIME .IN WHICH DOESNT FIX ONE THING ..IM GUILTY ...THIS SYSTEM WORKS IS SOMETHING TO LOOK AT ...

OK----The tire rule as it has been, and as it is in the rules, will stay the same for now. There will be Durometer readings taken from each of the competing teams, and as much tire info that can be read off the tires. This testing will take place at the start of the racing season, untill enough info has been gathered to make a final decision on which direction to go. None of this information will be shared or marked with any team #'s or affiliation. Thanks for your patience on the tire issue.

On to something else.

Archived