Bert transmission?

racer61

I have searched hi and lo for the right answer. What is the correct fluid for a bert? Ive seen trans fluid, gear oil, motor oil, motorcycle oil... etc...etc. I know this particular one has transfluid in it but still was wondering what Bert recommends. Anybody know??

bert makes a special fluid called Bert Transmission Fluid. it is made just for those transmission and considering the price of the transmission putting a fluid made for it even if it is a little more expensive is worth the price to me.

Txtom, was that the old typeF WITH WALE OIL IN IT??

I ain't a transmission guy, but it was Dexron I type B that had whale oil in it. After the Feds outlawed the import of that oil, they introduced Dexron II type C in the early 70's.

The Dexron II was the stuff that had bad corrosion and rust inhibiting qualities, and caused leaks between the radiators and the lines going to them. Cause of many radiator flushes, and there were also reports of coolant in the transmission.

If you added a pint of some fluid conditioner that GM sold, it helped prevent these problems.

In the mid-70's, GM brought out Dexron II type D and it cured the problems associated with type C.

Type F had high-static friction qualities that made it a better fluid than Dexron. When we raced auto trannies in the ARTS series, we used type F in our turbo 350's.

If you ever noticed a Ford built before about the 80's or so seemed to shift a little quick or harder, it was the type F doing that. if you had used Dexron , it would have shifted softer.

Ford has now, for the most part, switched to Mercon, which is very similar in properties to Dexron II type D.

Archived