Earnhardt Replaces Malin as Blue Moon Crew Chief

Earnhardt Replaces Malin as Blue Moon Crew Chief for 2009 Season

by T.Q. Jones

Blanco – Following today's announcement Chad Malin was leaving Blue Moon Motorsports to re-join his 2008 driver Rusty Mirth in a new TSRS Allison Legacy racing effort, Blue Moon owner/driver David Lewien had his own surprise, naming Charlie Earnhardt of San Antonio to replace Malin as crew chief on the #3 K&N Filters Chevrolet Digital Expressions Embroidery Texas Pro Truck.

"Though we were surprised by the timing of today's announcement from Malin and Mirth," Lewien said this afternoon, "we knew they were trying to put that deal together. We're glad it came together now and that we had both Chad's and Rusty's expertise for the first two test sessions this season, during which both the truck and I got faster." Earnhardt, in a conversation this evening, let everyone know how happy he was to be on the Blue Moon team.

"I met David at the Monster Jam in San Antonio, where we were parked next to each other and had a lot of time to talk during the day. He's a nice guy and the #3 truck looked like it was being well prepared. I decided I was going to keep an eye on his progress this season and maybe see if I could help out on the weekends. We didn't know things would work out this fast."

Earnhardt (and, yeah, he's a fourth cousin to the late Dale, Sr.) owns his own shop in San Antonio and works on both ordinary passenger cars and racecars. He's been in or around racing since he was a kid and started racing himself at 16. That gives him experience behind the wheel and behind the wrench, which should make for an ideal crew chief.

Lewien ran a limited number of races last year in a truck that was new to him, but did better each race and posted his best finish with a fifth place in the last race of the season. The early testing improved his lap times enough to put him in the thick of it this year, and the rainout of what would have been the opening race in Houston last week means he will have Earnhardt with him all season.

The season now begins on March 28 at Houston Motorsports Park.

Congratulations brother and Blue Moon Motorsports!! I bet David doesn't realize you come with your own group of fans

which means more cheering for him. LOL I think it's a match made in heaven with that #3 on the side of his truck!

Now all you have to do is get him to put a 1 before the 3....he he he he. GOOD LUCK AND KICK SOME BUTT!

I WAS VERY EXCITED WHEN I GOT THE CALL FROM DAVID. I THINK WE REALLY HIT IT OFF WHEN WE MET AT THE MONSTER JAM. I LOOK FORWARD TO WORKING WITH BLUE MOON MOTORSPORTS, AND GETTING THEM INTO THE WINNERS CIRCLE.

Archived