What's the Deal?

Budman

GUYS I WISH I COULD GET DOWN THERE TO MEET YOU BUT MY WIFE IS OUT OF TOWN WITH HER SICK MOTHER AND I HAVE THE DOG'S, ETC TO LOOK AFTER. IT'S AN OVERNIGHT TRIP FROM TYLER BECAUSE MY PARENTS WOULD WANT ME TO SPEND THE NIGHT.

THEY WILL HAVE OTHER EVENTS.

I DO PLAN ON GOING TO LONESTAR FOR THE WORLD OF OUTLAWS IN APRIL.

MAYBE SOME OF YOU WILL BE THERE.

My Dad, myself, and my grandson are heading to Ft Worth about 7 in the morning.

Pops is really looking forward to it; other than the few times they brought a half dozen or so midgets to Pan American in the 70's, this race will be his first midget race since a trip to the original 16th street speedway in Indianapolis in the early 50's.

And Michael will watch his first run of a midget ever.

My Dad, myself, and my grandson are heading to Ft Worth about 7 in the morning.

Pops is really looking forward to it; other than the few times they brought a half dozen or so midgets to Pan American in the 70's, this race will be his first midget race since a trip to the original 16th street speedway in Indianapolis in the early 50's.

And Michael will watch his first run of a midget ever.

Never seen midgets race in person.They look pretty cool on T.V.!!!!!

Cowtown pit area was packed Friday night, to say the least. They started heats about 7:30, they were doing a good job of keeping the show moving along. Flips slowed it a little, but that is the nature of the beast.

This is not a gripe or slam, but about 3 more push trucks would have been good for the Midget pushoffs. Lots of great racing all the classes, and those winged 600 Mini Sprints fly throught he corners.

Midget feature was real good among the top three, which included former ROMCO/USRA SLM driver Jonathan Beason, who won his heat, and was in the top three before a skirmish took him out. He has a bad fast midget, and the leaders were pulling wheelies off turn 4 for a good bit of the straight. JJ Yeley was there, but some of the local boys showed him how to get around Cowtown.

Real nice crowd, but the norther that blew in made it uncomfortable. The track can't control the weather, but they will find it cooler tonight.

Still a great show; well worth the $15 admission.

Wanted to go to the pits to talk with friends, but by the time the Midget feature started, it was downright cold, the grandkid was burrowed up in a blanket sound asleep, and it was a feat to carry him out to the car. He never stirred all the way home.

Let's see, Midgets are racing; We figured we'd run into Budman. Here he is with my Dad and Grandson in the afternoon.

post-21-1234644727.jpg

MRS Moeller and Miss Moeller wait for Brandon to race. Brandon had trouble in the hot laps that ended his night; not real sure what happened.

post-21-1234644957.jpg

Buddy and Tom Sr watching the action.

post-21-1234645173.jpg

Thanks for the pics Tom. That norther hit Friday night, the temp and humidity dropped quickly and the wind and wind chill rose. It appeared the whole track went to dry slick within 30 minutes. I think that contributed to all the flips.

Saturday night wasn't quite as bad. Though still cold, the wind had dropped off significantly. The track stayed more tacky and it was a lot more comfortable sitting in the stands.

I shot a roll of film on Saturday. When I get them developed this week, I'll post some on here.

Thanks for the pics Tom. That norther hit Friday night, the temp and humidity dropped quickly and the wind and wind chill rose. It appeared the whole track went to dry slick within 30 minutes. I think that contributed to all the flips.

Saturday night wasn't quite as bad. Though still cold, the wind had dropped off significantly. The track stayed more tacky and it was a lot more comfortable sitting in the stands.

I shot a roll of film on Saturday. When I get them developed this week, I'll post some on here.

Roll of film?I did'nt even know they still sold that stuff. :P

Yep Landlord they still sell the stuff and develop it too. :lol:

Actually, I spent quite a bit of time researching it. If I wanted to go digital I could spend in the $1500 to $2000 range to equal my old film capabilities.

What I found out is that everybody is dumping their film equipment on line for pennies on the dollar when they switch to digital. I was able to duplicate my 25+ year old broken camera that I had paid $225 for new, with one in near brand new condition for $29 including shipping on ebay. Plus, all my old and still very good lenses fit it. :)

Gotta agree with Budman on the film camera. I replaced a broken digital with a new one, and while it is great for quick shots around the pits or the house, it does not come close to what my 35mm will do for speed shots.

Now I am talking a 300 dollar digital, not the high end digital SLRs. I know they do a great job with speed shots, but they are also a lot more than I want to pay right now considering I have two excellent identical film SLRs with motor drives and about 6 lenses. I can shoot 1/2000 all day long with 100-200 speed film and read the name on a tire or stop the props on a plane. And they are paid for.......................

BTW, Buddy, When Grandson Michael woke up Saturday morning, his Mom was already here, and he was non-stop talking about the midgets and mini sprints. Looks like we have hooked another on on this racing drug..........!

:lol: ....................... Good to hear, Tom!

How 'bout those mini-sprints on that track? That's the first time I'd ever seen those. Amazingly fast little cars on that track.

I know your dad timed some of them doing hot laps. What were they turning that quarter in?

I got those pics back today. I'll scan and post some of them up on this thread later tonight.

Hey Tom looked for you and the gang Sat. eve , didnt know yall had headed back. Great show that night also, we'll catch ya down the road! Sinard

yeah, I had a couple things I had to do here Saturday; gotta quit letting work crap get in the way of the important stuff!!

See ya soon,

Tom

HERE ARE A FEW MORE:

I really liked the 96 car. This midget has the "traditional" body on it. I talked with the driver and told him "Now THAT's what a midget is SUPPOSED to look like". He was very appreciative. Unfortunately, I failed to get his name and hometown.

The red 36 car is that of defending Cowtown midget champion Jonathan Beeson. Remember him? He ran some USRA Super-Late races.

The last is just simply ................. Slidin' Sideway and Slingin' Mud :D

post-1274-1234924592.jpg

post-1274-1234924637.jpg

post-1274-1234924701.jpg

post-1274-1234924765.jpg

Archived