Modifieds no longer IMCA sanctioned at I37 Raceway for 2009

Canyon Speedway Park in Arizona just dropped the Outlaw thing to go IMCA, so now what? Don't get me wrong, as a spectator I like to watch the Outlaws for the shear power, sound and feel, IMCA give it all to you too just not as much power, but I'm for Whatever the F$%# brings the best racing. And if I remember reading correctly, wasn't it a $500 claim or swap? I have to also say I'm not all for the point system IMCA uses, it seems to me your not really rewarded for winning. It seems to me the driver that makes the most finishes can do extremely well. Nothing wrong with finishing, but I think there is something to be said about winning too. Remember, just a spectator here.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if they have a small purse compared to other tracks not much is going to change due to fuel prices and parts,mods(outlaw or imca) are expensive to run. so drivers are going to go where the purse is and spectators are going to go where the cars are and that track will make a bigger profit and get more exposure

don't get me wrong i like i37 but for things to get better they need to increase the purse. :huh:

Everyone can sit an B!&ch about one thing or another. But how many outlaw cars do you expect to show up? Do you really think Corpus cars are going to come every week, or how about Edna Cars or the Valley. Those guys are not going to pull up here for peanuts. The only time you will see those guys is when money is up for grabs. I perosnally like IMCA and I know Johnny just got a Mod and I will be getting mine soon But I will not race outlaw at I-37. I have said it time and time again they best years I-37 ever had was when Frank Worked his ASS off and rang up hundreds of Dollars in phone bills to get Mods out here. [edited out by Nick Holt, 11/17/08] I remember and yes I work the track with Frank when he had the November Race Well over 30 mods and it paid good just to come in 15th place not just the top 3. So you u have new guys getting mods and getting all geared up to go IMCA racing and then you drop IMCA and now you lose And right now I can count 7-9 guys that would run IMCA including myself. So you change to outlaw and you gain what 3-5 guys where u at now??? You are in the SAME BOAT AND NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!! Could IMCA pick up YES. Will outlaw racing pick up NO not paying what they pay. So is the Claim an excuse yes it is why are people scared of the claim I have on seen 1 claim at I-37 and I have raced there since it opened. So that is one BIG EXCUSE. There are a few guys that are alright with running their IMCA motors against Outlaw motors how long do you think that will last as they are lapping you or handing you a big can of Whoop AZZ????

RANDY GUZMAN

The funny thing is that I saw Greg laping the local cars that were out there with his IMCA stuff so how could outlaw be any different for you. You don't have to pay the best money you just have to put on a good show have a good track, and be consistent with all calls and rules.

The funny thing is that I saw Greg laping the local cars that were out there with his IMCA stuff so how could outlaw be any different for you.

That's the point I was making. Put a spoiler on an IMCA car and go race. All those big motors won't help on So. TX dry slick tracks. If your chassis will work on dry slick, anything above 350 - 400 hp is probably waisted anyway. Quit making excuses. It is what it is.....

RACED IMCA FULL TIME 4 YEARS OH WAIT HOW LONG U OWNED A IMCA CARD ;) I KNOW UVE SEEN A BUNCH OF CLAIMS RIGHT :blink:

Only four years? I guess I have supported IMCA longer than you have because I have had an IMCA license more than four years. I guess I have seen more claims than you because I saw two claims two weeks in a row in Stephenville a few years ago. I have seen them in Waco and they had one in Pleasanton.

My problem is not with IMCA. I don't really care who's fault it is cars are not showing up but it is not fun for me to race against five other cars. If that is all there is to race against I would rather take up golf. I would rather go run against more cars and get my ass kicked while I learn how to get faster to be competitive.

The funny thing is that I saw Greg laping the local cars that were out there with his IMCA stuff so how could outlaw be any different for you.

That's the point I was making. Put a spoiler on an IMCA car and go race. All those big motors won't help on So. TX dry slick tracks. If your chassis will work on dry slick, anything above 350 - 400 hp is probably waisted anyway. Quit making excuses. It is what it is.....

FUNNY STUFF :lol: RIGHT THERE :lol::lol::huh:

Actually, all that horsepower wouldn't be waisted if it weren't for the G60. These are totally different cars when you put the Hoosier UMP tire on them. Even the Hoosier 500 that runs on the Sport Mods is a better tire. So?????????

come on the gue rue of dirt rusty wants to know why u dont change tires then well maybe u can use more than the 350 hp and maybe yehh change that and that i see a car that wont fit in the back gate coming with these jokers have fun racing go get em boys if and if this 350 hp is all u need and im calling u all out chip meet me at edna show the people how u can compete i want to see this yeeeeeeeeeee haaaa u bought a set of g60s for the other show and im sure as fast as u all were they r in great shape :lol: so see ya there right i will :lol: change change change when does it stop ;) nobody and i mean nobody knows :blink::blink::ph34r:

Well if you want outlaw modifieds then switch to these at least all of the HP didn't go to waste.

That 87 on the high side is actually the car Lawrence is running now and kicking our butts with. He just put new sheet metal on it.

thats funny right there :lol:

Greg,

Thanks for the invitation but I have to work Thursday, Friday and Saturday. If I was you, I wouldn't be so confident in us being competitve with USMTS. Those guys run REAL race engines or HOGS as you call it. Just because our 355 flat top claimer engine was good enough to pull you off the corners at the last race doesn't mean it is competitve enough to run with those guys. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then so don't be too disappointed that we had a decent day. Plus I don't have all the Modified experience you do so you should have a much better chance than I would. Good luck and I'll be there cheering for you Saturday.

Greg,

Thanks for the invitation but I have to work Thursday, Friday and Saturday. If I was you, I wouldn't be so confident in us being competitve with USMTS. Those guys run REAL race engines or HOGS as you call it. Just because our 355 flat top claimer engine was good enough to pull you off the corners at the last race doesn't mean it is competitve enough to run with those guys. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then so don't be too disappointed that we had a decent day. Plus I don't have all the Modified experience you do so you should have a much better chance than I would. Good luck and I'll be there cheering for you Saturday.

DO U RELIZE MY CAR WAS TORE APART FROM THE FLYWHEEL BACK TO THE REAR END BARS WERE BENT AND HEATED WITH A TORCH WASNT GOING TO RACE IT PIECED IT TOGETHER AT THE LAST MINUTE AND U PULLED ME CAUSE AS U SHOULD KNOW THE CAR HAD A PUSH COMING OUT AND I COULDNT GET ON THE THROTTLE :huh: COME ON CHIP THE IDIOT THAT TOLD U MAN UVE GOT IT NOW IS THAT AN IDIOT U MIGHT HAVE IT GOING BETTER ILL GIVE U THAT BUT IN 1 RACE ON A 1 LANE TRACK UR GOING TO SAY U CAN NOW PULL A FOUR BAR CAR OFF THE CORNER A 2 LINK U NEED TO GIVE THAT SET UP TO A LOT OF THOSE 2 LINK CARS ITS SUCH A SECRET I KNOW SUPERNATIONAL WINNER RIGHT :rolleyes: WE WILL SEE SOON RIGHT CHIP I NEED TO ASK U WHO DID U PASS ? ;) AND I THOUGHT IT WOULDNT TAKE BUT 350 HP TO RUN ON A DRY SLICK TRACK COME ON MAKE UP OUR MINDS IM NOT STUPID MAYBE MISLEAD I THOUGHT AND IM SURE RUSTY SAID U DONT NEED A BIG HOG AS I SAID TO RUN IN SOUTH TEXAS U GUYS MIGHT FOOL OTHER PEOPLE THAT AN OUTLAW MOTOR WILL COMPETE WITH A LOW BUDGET RACER BUT NOT ME SEE YA THERE AND YES I AM SWITCHING MOTORS AND CHANGING A FEW THINGS HOPEFULLY I CAN STAY OUT OF THERE WAY ;)

Greg,

I guess there was miscommunication somewhere because nobody ever said we have it now. All Rusty, Derry or I have said is we made a huge improvement on how competitive we were and we feel like we have a chance of improving on it. Didn't you help Randy put the same set-up on his car? This is getting old so good luck to you in Edna and I will probably see you there.

COME ON LETS SEE IT ;):D

This isn't really my fight, but I will say this. Go watch the Edna race and you will see horsepower used on a south Texas dry slick track.

Let's just take the 12 car for example, I'm not the Jason Hughes lover that some are around here, but he and alot of those USMTS guys amaze me.

They will run a rear gear that most would't even think of. For example at STS alot of people would run a 5.67 or 5.83, Jason would run anywheres from a 6.30 to a 6.50, turning 8500-8800 rpm and not just spinning the tires all the way down the straight away.

The old 355 IMCA claimer motor won't last long at those rpm.

Thats my 2 cents other than yall are wearing this post out.

I-37 made the decision they made based on what they thought was the right decision. I'm not sure if they are right or wrong.

The other question has to be are you a track supporter or a sanctioning body supporter or are you just a racer who likes to race where ever you want when ever you want.

Good luck to all and I will see yall if you come to STS next season.

SHRIMP",Your comment about the RPM hit the nail on the head...Some can spin that puppy at that RPM because they have the GOOD stuff in there powerplants..A good USED one can cost from $10.000 to $26000...Some can afford to do it with out the worry of breaking it...But can a regular saturday night racer afford this?? And a claimer style motor wont hang with them day in and out...And in EDNA you will see them fly..Does not matter if its slick or heavy!And if its a little heavy,The better motors will really stand out..I did call our engine builder about a good motor for Johnnys mod..IMCA style about $5500...OUTLAW about $14000... And that was not the all out trick motor...That was one that would be around awhile...FRANK TORRES

350 HP IN SOUTH TEXAS IS REALLY FUNNY :lol: I AM A SUPPORTER OF IMCA I THINK LAST YEAR INSTEAD OF SUPPORTING A TRACK THAT WELL U ALL KNOW I SHOULD HAVE GAVE UP AND LET THEM SORT IT OUT INSTEAD I USED MU MONEY MY TIME AND WAISTED IT I WOULD OF LIKED TO HAVE BEEN AT EDNA OR SOUTH TEXAS BUT WE ALL KNOW THE 8G IS NOT WELCOME AT STS AND I COULD GO ON BUT OUTLAW I WILL RACE WHERE IT IS FIGURED OUT NOT WHERE IM BEING USED FOR A CAR NOT FOR A PERSON BUT OUTLAW DONE RIGHT CAN WORK I AM NOT AGAINST IT HECK LOOK AT HARDCASTLE WAS WINNING AT EDNA THEN WENT TO SOUTH TEXAS AND WAS WINNING IT CAN WORK BUT AS FOR THE LITTLE GUYS GOOD LUCK ITS GOING TO TAKE MORE THAN 350 HP I ONLY KEEP BARKING CAUSE SOMEONE KEEPS TRYING TO PUMP OUT THE BULL LETS GET REAL WILL I RACE IN THE SOUTH YES DO THEY CARE NO WILL I RACE AT I-37 I PROBALY WAIT A YEAR HOPE FOR THE BEST GOOD LUCK :ph34r: U ALL JUST HAVE NO IDEAL HOW MUCH I HAVE PUT INTO I-37 AND OTHERS AS WELL I HAVE AN RV HERE HAS 450 HP CAN I RACE IT ;):lol: CRYING CRYING ;):lol: HOW BOUT THIS GO OUTLAW ON THE SPORT MODS SEE HOW IT EFFECTS IT

My opinion is that if they went outlaw they won't see much change in car count. The only people they will loose is the IMCA supporter. I'm not knocking anybody for being a sanctioning body supporter. I'm just saying some people are track supporters and some are IMCA supporters. A lot of I-37 regulars have been both because the track has been IMCA for a long time. If the sportmod/limited rules were the same as IMCA minus the claim, then most of the regular drivers will still be there. Most these days can't afford to be just IMCA supporters because of the travel involved. JMO

I tried to run my mod (355) with the outlaws, it didn't work. Of course part of it could have been that I can't drive. Who knows

SHRIMP",Your comment about the RPM hit the nail on the head. And a claimer style motor wont hang with them day in and out.IMCA style about $5500...OUTLAW about $14000.

Well said guys, it's apples and oranges. I have ran my IMCA mod with some OUTLAWs in the past and feel pretty good about running mid pack. Couldnt do it week in and week out. Sure can't afford to up grade my car and motor to do it all the time. Greg did help me alot this year and we got the old 3 link working pretty good on dry slick (greatly appreciated Greg) but still don't have enough bite off like the four bar cars, especially against the 4 bar guys that have the set up figured out. I have yet to decide what my plans will be for next year. I do know I will need to convert my car to a 4 bar if I stay in a modified. I also know I will not be racing a full schedule next year. Over 30 nights this past season wore me out.. My feelings go out to the guys that want to race in this area a full schedule and not put alot in a motor. Good luck to all the full time guys next year. Randy Yount

350 HP IN SOUTH TEXAS IS REALLY FUNNY :lol: I AM A SUPPORTER OF IMCA I THINK LAST YEAR INSTEAD OF SUPPORTING A TRACK THAT WELL U ALL KNOW I SHOULD HAVE GAVE UP AND LET THEM SORT IT OUT INSTEAD I USED MU MONEY MY TIME AND WAISTED IT I WOULD OF LIKED TO HAVE BEEN AT EDNA OR SOUTH TEXAS BUT WE ALL KNOW THE 8G IS NOT WELCOME AT STS AND I COULD GO ON BUT OUTLAW I WILL RACE WHERE IT IS FIGURED OUT NOT WHERE IM BEING USED FOR A CAR NOT FOR A PERSON BUT OUTLAW DONE RIGHT CAN WORK I AM NOT AGAINST IT HECK LOOK AT HARDCASTLE WAS WINNING AT EDNA THEN WENT TO SOUTH TEXAS AND WAS WINNING IT CAN WORK BUT AS FOR THE LITTLE GUYS GOOD LUCK ITS GOING TO TAKE MORE THAN 350 HP I ONLY KEEP BARKING CAUSE SOMEONE KEEPS TRYING TO PUMP OUT THE BULL LETS GET REAL WILL I RACE IN THE SOUTH YES DO THEY CARE NO WILL I RACE AT I-37 I PROBALY WAIT A YEAR HOPE FOR THE BEST GOOD LUCK :ph34r: U ALL JUST HAVE NO IDEAL HOW MUCH I HAVE PUT INTO I-37 AND OTHERS AS WELL I HAVE AN RV HERE HAS 450 HP CAN I RACE IT ;):lol: CRYING CRYING ;):lol: HOW BOUT THIS GO OUTLAW ON THE SPORT MODS SEE HOW IT EFFECTS IT

My husband raced at both Edna and I37 this year. It was his first year in a race car - period. We had a lot of fun at both tracks. The purse was always way bigger at Edna and we could never even mildly get the car to turn :( But I felt like alot of drivers could learn alot by watching you and Hardcastle each at individual tracks. I am deeply saddened that you won't be racing at Pleasanton in 2009 because I really hoped that we could learn from you as we got a little more comfortable in the racing community. Do well this year and above all Have fun!

Archived