Darity 75, TSRS @ Thunderhill Raceway 7/26/08

Tommy Darity 75, Texas Super Racing Series @ Thunderhill Raceway, 7/26/08

By J M Hallas

Kyle, Tx.,(July 26th 2008) Thunder Hill Raceway’s 3/8 mile D-shaped track was a homecoming of sorts for the Texas Super Racing Series Late Models after over a month off. The Texas-based touring series held it’s seventh event of the year, the Tommy Darity 75 in memory of a lost friend and racer. Also on the night’s schedule were the always competitive ASA A-Line Auto Parts Super Stocks, Thunder Stocks, Grand Stocks, NASKarts and the Texas Pro Sedan Series.

Schild Sneaks in Fast Qualifying Lap

Over the first six events, the TSRS has seen but one fast qualifier, former USRA Super Late Model champion and current TSRS points leader, Heath Stewart. After the field 20 took times, a different, but familiar, face was on top of the board. Former TSRS champion Chris Schild in the Splash Water Systems, Double Oak Construction, Schild Motorsports, Royal Purple, Tobin’s Bar & Grill, KAM Race Engines, Schild Chassis laid down the best lap with a 15.341. Stewart was second fastest with Jake Kruger, Robert Barker, Brian Moczygemba and Lloyd Alexander the top six qualifiers headed to the draw for invert.

“I have no idea where that lap came from,” commented Schild. “We kept it in the shop over that break we had, changed oil, put new plugs in and brought it out. It liked it. The little break we had between practice and qualifying gave the track a chance to cool a little and we changed tires, so we picked up some from practice times.”

“We’ll just to feel the car out the first half and see if the car is going to be as fast. Try to stay out of trouble and go to work after that. If we’ve got a car, we’re going to make them work for it, if not just hang on to what we have.”

“ I ran fast time then botched it up drawing a five. But the inside will be good and I’m behind the 17(Robert Barker) and the 1(Heath Stewart) so I know they’re going to be fast. We’ll get spread out and then go to work. Hopefully we’ll be faster than them. We’ll see what we have with 25 to go and make a good hard run at it.”

Steady Stewart Sails to Third TSRS Thunderhill Raceway Trophy

Like an animal on the hunt, Stewart stalked his competition early in the 75-lap feature event, patiently waiting. Stewart jumped on the chance during lap 13 when leader Robert Barker left the bottom open, with Stewart getting the point on lap 14. Fast qualifier, Schild tried to hang with Stewart during the middle portion of the race, but gave way to Cody Smith late. After a late caution Stewart was able to hold off Smith to grab the victory.

After the top six redraw for invert, Barker and L. Alexander led the 20-car TSRS field to green. As the pack roared to life, the inside rows jumped out, with L. Alexander falling back in line fourth. The top eight sorted out single file, with side by side racing continuing in the back half of the field. By lap 5 the top three of Barker, Stewart and Schild put some distance on Smith.

Stewart began putting the pressure on Barker, who was having trouble staying in the preferred bottom groove. After a couple quick looks inside, Stewart was able to get the nose inside Barker. Barker tried to hold off Stewart on the high side, but to no avail. Schild followed Stewart by Barker for second. Heather Ables spun on lap 14 to bring out the first caution.

Coming to the restart, Jason Hollander got turned around as the middle of the pack stacked up going into turn 3. The next restart attempt saw Brian Moczygemba get into and spin L. Alexander causing a multi-car melee behind them. L. Alexander was given his spot back, with Moczygemba sent to the tail. Third time was a charm as racing resumed with Jake Kruger getting by L. Alexander for fourth.

Barker’s woes continued as he gave up spots to Smith, Kruger and Adam Haugh on consecutive laps coming to halfway. At the crossed flags it was Stewart and Schild with a gap on Smith and Kruger, while Haugh rounded out the top five. The yellow waved on lap 42 when Michael Cullen spun and collected Allen Alexander. During caution, Barker pitted his ill handling machine.

Once back to green the top five inched away from L. Alexander who was now being pressured by Bobby Teer jr. Smith was able to get under Schild on lap 49 to grab second. A spin by Hollander on lap 50 brought the yellow back out. On the restart Teer got inside L. Alexander for sixth. Leland Waddell tried to fill the hole about the same time L. Alexander was trying to close the door. The two got hooked up with both ending up in the infield, but continuing without caution.

Yellow did wave on lap 59 when Moczygemba spun and got tagged by A. Alexander who was a victim for the second time. During the caution, Waddell caught up with L. Alexander and dumped him in turn 1, then high-tailed it for the pits. On the restart with ten to go, Stewart got a good jump on Smith who now being pressured for second by Schild.

Stewart kept inching away while Smith, Schild and Kruger ran nose to tail for second. In the battle for fifth, Haugh and Teer continued to battle it out. Moczygemba and Ables tangled on lap 73 setting up a green, white, checkered shootout to the finish. Stewart got a half car length on Smith as green waved and full car length as the white flag waved. Smith never got close enough to mount a serious challenge as Stewart in the Southside Wrecker, Gen-Tech Generators, Lozano Brothers Race Engines, Lefthander Chassis grabbed the checkers.

“This is a race I’ve been wanting to win.” replied Stewart. “Tommy Darity helped me out a lot. When I first started racing he was there telling me what I was doing wrong, and what I was doing right. He was a good friend of the family and it was nice to win the race in his honor.”

“We just had a good car tonight. After qualifying I told J.R. (Croomer) we didn’t get the pole but the car had a lot of bite. Probably more than we needed for qualifying. The car was pretty neutral and would roll through the corners good. It may not have turned the fastest times, but it was consistent. It was the best car we’ve had this year. We focused on a long run car during practice. That’s what you need to win the race, not the pole speed. I’d rather have a car like this than those I set fast times with.”

“I really didn’t have plan for the race. I just wanted to see if he(Barker) was going to be tight or loose. Once I knew how he was handling I would see how I could get by him. I hoped I could get by him. I was surprised on the initial start, he got off the corner bad and I kind of got into him. I didn’t mean to touch him, but I let him get it gathered up and we got to go racing. He was a little faster for the first few laps. Then he got slower through the center(of the corners) and killed my momentum. I backed off a little and let it roll the center and when he bottomed out and drifted up the track, I got by. The longer the race went, the better my car got.”

Tommy Darity 75, Texas Super Racing Series

1. 1 Heath Stewart

2. 05 Cody Smith

3. 7 Chris Schild

4. 14 Jake Kruger

5. 2 Bobby Teer jr.

6. 12 Adam Haugh

7. 81 Dillon Spreen

8. 00 Beau Bukowski

9. 99 Cary Stapp

10. 50 Brian Moczygemba

11. 61 Cory Lovell