Meyer Speedway

Midget 85

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK guys, I spend most of the summer at the hospital with my wife - she's doing well and back to work now - so I'm still trying to catch up on EVERYTHING around here. Getting almost done and will definately get back to posting soon...please hang in there!! C U Soon...

Regarding the photos above ( post # 716 ) the Blue 7 was Blumrick and he ran the Frizzel Pontiac Modified for sometime but I specifically remember the car painted Blue for whatever reason in 1967.

All years before and after the car was Black and White.

Can't remember why or the reason it was Blue for one season only. In 1968 it was painted back to Black and White..

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

the nova larry schilds is standing by the photo was from meyers in the mid 70s i think its the same car larry or jerry schild made some hot laps one night at meyers and the upper hose ceme off going into turn three and spun into the wall it took the back of the left side out never saw it after the photo of the 1 and 6 is ronnie chummley the 8 is tony barcelona i work for phil in the mid 70s at meyers when he drove a 68 camero those was the good old days i wish i could turn the clock back and be there

• 3 weeks later...
More Modifieds from Red Garner

post-3-1338825717.jpg

#14 Modified - 1964-65

post-3-1338825738.jpg

#54 Modified - 1967

post-3-1338825751.jpg

The famous Falcon Fendered Modified 1968-69

The Falcon bodied car - was that really a Supermodified? How did they let him run against the Modifieds?

This was the 1st of the Super mods for Meyer speedway. This was the NASCAR version that stated the car had to be made of an Ameerican made body. Most of the other Mod drivers just cut there bodies down in size and raced there old modifieds in 1967 and 68.

Questions regarding the Falcon bodied car; Was it tube framed ? What were the modified rules at Meyer regarding bodies and frames at that time? I seem to remember at a number of tracks a modified car had to have a recognizable American body and no tube frames, otherwise it was a super. BUT I will admit to reaching the stage of remembering, seeing, hearing things no one else does.

The main framerails had to be from an American made production car. I will have to ask dad what these were because I do not remember. The body also had to be American production and could be cut down as long as they were not wider then the frame. In this case dad took 4 1962 Ford Falcon fenders butted them side to side end to end and made the A and B pillers out of sheet metal with the roof being made out of a piece of Buick trunk. As I stated in a previous post Ed Hamlin the promoter from Meyer speedway told Dad that he could not race this car because it was Billy Perrins USAC Sprinter. Dad told Ed that they would prove him wrong. The next week Billy brought the sprint car out and DAD had the 4 falconed fendered car on the trailer behind the sprint car. Ed allowed the car to race and it set the track record and won won over 20 features that year (1968).

• 3 weeks later...