some early sprint cars at big h

chipmunk

The Bowl is where it has been since the move from Buckner, Look at the history section and you can see a 1968 Chevelle convertible pace car along with a camarro a year or 2 later. I fished at the catfish ponds around 70 to 72 several times. Budman i vaguely remember the safari park you are talking about, but mainly remember there being one in Grand Prarie near the Wax museum.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 years later...

Larry, Just a note about Cecil Elliot. It was ironic that we were on our way back from Dallas traveling on old hiway 75 in 1957. We were in the little town of Buffalo, TX at a Texaco station when Cecil Elliot was pulling in to get gas at the station. Cecil was traveling from Houston to Dallas for the race that you had mentioned and had the #56 Midget on the trailer behind him. We were traveling back home to Houston from the Quarter Midget races at the Devil's Bowl on Buckner Rd. I remember Cecil talking with my Dad as I viewed this Big Midget sitting on the trailer at the service station. We than walked over to look at my Quarter Midget which was also on our trailer headed home. Cecil just grinned at me and asked " You like Racin?..Wanna drive a Big Midget?" I was allowed to sit in the #56 briefly as I was assisited into the cock pit and behind the wheel. This is one of the strangest feelings still today as I remember sitting in the midget that Cecil would loose his life in in Dallas. As we departed ways from the station, we wished him the best for the races. The following day, we read the news in the newspaper. I kept the clipping and will never forget that day and the grin from Cecil Elliot. Next to Buddy Rackley, he was my second driver hero at Playland Park. Cecil was a great racer.. #85

WOW what an awesome story to read of my Grandpa Cecil Elliot thanks for sharing it .... what a memory to have

In '57, long time Houston area racer Cecil Elliot was killed in a Midget Car crash in Dallas, I believe at the Fairgrounds track. The following year, the Cecil Elliot Memorial 100 Lap Midget Car Race was held at Playland Spdwy/Houston. Lloyd Ruby, driving a car owned by Ebb Rose, won the '58 racUeY

Yes that is correct that was my late Grandpa Elliot ... wish I could find some photos from it or some news paper clipping about it...

Archived