"Announcing the Aircooled Pro Sedan Drivers for 2007"

Randy Larsen

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats why i kept it all these years. Great car. Just didn't have a high enough credit limit with my sponsors (Mastercard, Visa, AmEx.....) to put a fast motor together. The last good motor I blew up in that car cost me over $2500 up in smoke. That night I bought the scirocco from Irene Wilkey for Less than $2000. Never spent more than$800 on a scirocco engine. Best Car Yet. I'd love to have a Larsen Racing Engine for the 78 but Adam does not make enough money for that. Adam asked me the other day how we could make the 78 bug faster without spending much money. Without missing a beat, I said "Get a new Driver?"

Yep,thats him,I will wait and let him introduce himself when he and his new car are ready,and as far as a fast car on dirt.........He has the fastest (aircooled) VW 4 cylinder in Texas and quite possibly in the lower states,I have seen the car run,and let me tell you its something you gotta see............Randy

:ph34r: kind words again, randy. the dirt car does make decent power, we just concentrate on getting in/out of the corners, keeping the car straight and using what power we have to get down the straight. on a dyno, some of the good fords would beat us everytime.

i look forward to the new challenge of asphalt. never done it and want to try it before social security kicks in. hopefully we'll have a top five car, once it gets lined out, but the tps is highly competetive and you've got to hustle to stay at the front. major concerns are handling and cooling.

game plan, as of now, is to get the car done by end of january and hopefully make some laps, somewhere, in february.

randy, when you coming to baytown? need to see the new shop and pick up bumpers. somehow, they keep moving closer to the dumpster :D

well pepsiblue your reputation has blown in the wind all way to corpus christi . welcome to tps .and we look forward to raceing a man of your stature .from what ive heard we may as well stay home .lol but that wont be fun .bedides you cant let randy have all the bug glory .just dont teach him anything he is already getting way to fast . and someone told me if its true that cc speedway may start practice in feb. and thats a good track to set your car up on for kyle and sas .and mike ive run into irene a couple of times .she lives in mathis .didnt know that was her old car .ive put a bumper to that car along time ago . and of all the women we raced against she had to be the best one .i dont know if you remember her raceing a pinto and tws in 91 .that was my car .i thought of her driveing enough to loan her that car .i was running third in points when she borrowed it .trustworthy isnt i . and that was also the first time she had ever driven a mini .she practiced the car in the street just before they had to lieve for tws it was midnight .brought it back without a scratch .she started in the top 12 i think and made her way to top 8 .from what i rememberbefore someone put a bumper to her .neil will probably have that info .

:ph34r: oldtimer, didn't know about the reputation, but i don't think anyone has to worry about us. our goal is to be competetive, but i'm sure i'll have my share of back bumpers to look at. we've had some success on dirt but, my first dirt mini stock race was in 1967 and my first mini stock championship was in 72. if you're around the sport that long, something has to stick sooner or later. tps is way too competetive to have any pre-aspirations. all we want to do is make some laps and have some fun.

thought i'd post some pics, but i can't get it to work.

and keep after randy, i think he's off the prozac.

ON EDIT BY NICK HOLT: I have added the pictures as requested. The first two show the dirt car, complete 67 beetle pan with modified oem torsion, when first built.

The third pic is a peek at the future tps car.

post-3-1163791625_thumb.jpg

post-3-1163791638_thumb.jpg

post-3-1163791836_thumb.jpg

:ph34r: oldtimer, didn't know about the reputation, but i don't think anyone has to worry about us. our goal is to be competetive, but i'm sure i'll have my share of back bumpers to look at. we've had some success on dirt but, my first dirt mini stock race was in 1967 and my first mini stock championship was in 72. if you're around the sport that long, something has to stick sooner or later. tps is way too competetive to have any pre-aspirations. all we want to do is make some laps and have some fun.

thought i'd post some pics, but i can't get it to work.

and keep after randy, i think he's off the prozac.

"WOW" are ya'll reading this,his first ministock race was 1967(guess who was born that year-Randy Larsen)and as destiny would have it,two racers that both have very strong hopes for doing well in an aircooled bug,have run into each other and I think its gonna be alot of fun.He has taught me many,many neat tricks and ideas,and I won my first race on dirt in Houston,behind the wheel of a bug that he built(I can guarantee that alot of it was the car).I just hope he continues to put up with me asking all the questions,and trying to get all his secrets,and please dont throw away the bumpers,I will be needing them due to my still learning to drive ways :D ......................Randy

pepsiblue keep up the good work in helping randy run just as fast as he.s doing now he.s starting to scare everyone .anything you can do to keep him at the speed in which he.s running now is a ok with us .sorry i dont know your name and at what tracks you started and raced back in the 60.s but i was around raceing then also as a spectator .i was 11 years old in 67 .and working at cc speedway in 72 .randy give lloyd a bug to drive he needs a rwd .

His car is actually a Scirrocco,Im pretty sure that car used to belong to Irene Wilkey,she was a good driver also...............Randy still a wabbit .just sportier .

Loyd,I sold the chassis yesterday that I was thinking of building it out of to a guy in Boerne,its good because the money will help fix up Ole Herbie,but bad because it would have been a great race car,and would have added a car to the Pro Sedans.............How about that sneak peak of Pepsiblues new race bug!!!!!!...........Randy

I heard a rumor a few weeks back from a "certain someone"I know was thinking about building a TPS car. We will see if he gets serious about it.

Tim

Friend or relative???

With all the new rules out giving Fords even more, I bet if a new car is built to the rules, it will be a Ford!!

(Standing back now as the pot has officially been stirred :lol: !!!)

whats in the pot bug soup .

I heard a rumor a few weeks back from a "certain someone"I know was thinking about building a TPS car. We will see if he gets serious about it.

Tim

tim ej or someone else i have talk to just the other day .cant name him .

tim the fords will soon be outnumberd .so we need you .

With all the new rules out giving Fords even more, I bet if a new car is built to the rules, it will be a Ford!!(Standing back now as the pot has officially been stirred :lol: !!!)

Lloyd - I couldn't agree more.

The 2007 TPS rules definately in favor the RWD 2338 cc Fords running ported and polished steel heads. And there is absolutely no reason why the aftermarket head Fords should not be winning on a consistant basis too. All it will take is a Ford team or two with some proven suspension engineering knowledge to step up and take full advantage of those rules.

That being said, the first air-cooled VW that is able to cpitalize on the TPS weight and power breaks available to them will kick everyones' butt.

Nick

i think randy and pepsiblue will be some tough cookies next year .and as soon as we find someone that knows some suspenson engineering knowledge in our local arial we.ll hire him . :D but i agree time to step it up a notch . now the fires under the pot . :D lets fire those motors up .

Bill LaBarge won his first Championship with that car in '92. He got the car from Bud Ward VW in College Station. It was driven back then by Aaron Simon and mostly raced at TWS. First time I drove it I won the heat race & got 2nd in the main at Longhorn. Been a good ride ever since. From LaBarge it went to Wilkey and then to me. Dont know what happened to Bruces old scirocco.

The 78 bug is a really cool car too. It was built by Donnie Moore & John Lamb. Has probably the first tube frame chassis in Pro Sedans. They finished building that car on pit road at TWS. Showed up on Fri. with a trailer full of parts and raced the race on Sun. I bought the car from them in '88. It has adj. suspension all 4 corners, left side offset rollcage, and even a holder for the checkered flag to make your victory lap easier. It was the first racecar I had seen with a domelite, now I put them in all my cars. To work on the car, just drill out a bunch of rivits and the whole body lifts off ( thats when I bought my first air rivet gun) Lots of people have driven that bug for me over the years but the best had to be when Alvin Stuart raced it at Longhorn one night with his left leg in a cast. One of Randys Bugs did a barrel roll that night.

i sold a pinto that i bought off david leniert not sure how to spell his name he won two championships with it at cc .mike may remember it .red number 12 . and after three seasons i sold it to someone who raced in waco i believe .i dont know if is still around .but that was a hell of a good car .rick rapp set that car up .mike heres a name you havent heard in awhile doug mcbee . remember his pinto was stolen at the motel at tws .and they found it in houston .it had been sitting at a motel for two weeks untill a racer check into it and took it home and tracked down doug .after that pat jonhson drove it ..only thing aboult that is he got his car back but alot of our tools he borrowed along with a spare motor that belong to us was lost with the truck he never got that back .nore did we get anything either . big lost .

Archived