Texas World Speedway

KahneFan

Some of the reasons that I have been told as to why there are no more big time races at TWS are:

1: Canole won't pave the oval

2: The grandstands are practically condemned

3: It is too far away from Houston

4: The garages are a fraction of what they need to be to compete with other tracks

5: The track would never get a Cup date because of TMS

6: Nobody wants to put up the money to renovate the place and bring it up to the standards of all of the other big time tracks around the country.

The NASA Texas group holds 1 or 2 races there a year and would welcome anyone that wanted to bring their racecar or street car for some road race track time. I am the Race Director for NASA Texas and if anyone is interested PM me and I'll get you hooked up.

Sorry Neil

That oldtimers disease set in again. Those pics were for Budman on old racers at Longhorn. I had a Senior Moment as my Husband Larry says, but he has it sometime too. LOL. I love racing and one day I will get back to TWS. Lots and Lots of great memories. Thanks again.

• 13 years later...

I was recently reminiscing about the 69 Canam race at Bryan College Station. When the race was announced, I joined the Aggie Sports Car Club so I could work the race. At the meeting prior to the race all the positions were listed and positions were being filled. Everyone wanted to be in the pit area and I am aware that the temp the date of the race was to be about 98 degrees and I'm thinking about hot engines, etc. So the last job on the list was working in the press box...This is a "no brainer". At the beginning of the race with the pace car on the track (a 69 white Chevy Camaro) the radio announcer from my favorite radio station in San Antonio is announcing that the pace car is a red 69 Mustang...his sponsor was obviously Ford and who in radioland would know the actual car. It was a great race and at the end the 1st place winner Bruce McLaren and the second place winner came up to the air conditioned (did I mention that the press box was a very pleasant cool temp) press box. All reporters and cameramen were clustered around the winner so second place driver was all by himself. I sat down and we had a great conversation about racing (which I knew nothing about). It was a wonderful experience. Later I found out that at Bruce McLaren's next race he had a fatal accident...what a tragedy.  

Thanks for the memories.

That driver that finished 2nd was George Eaton in a McLaren. He was the only other driver to finish on the lead lap. Eaton was a mostly SCCA racer with some starts in other series.