Mini Stocks

thumper

Most people thought they were done with me but not so. I have been talking to people around the state about the small cars. What I have discovered is the attitude toward us has improved greatly. Many tracks are supporting us like I37, 281 and Rosebowl where they have 2 classes. Very encouraging.

That being said it seems that old school mini stocks have given way to stock front wheel drive "pure stock" type of cars and that's great but leaves out a lot of older race cars for a place to race. So I'm asking if there is any interest by both racers and promoters in again hosting/participating in small cars that actually are race cars. Not necessary high dollar fire breathers but more in the line of Thunder cars that were so successful at RGS, CCS, and STS in the past. Done properly this could include Pro Sedans as well as the Mustangs that are sitting about.

I have raced with all level of small cars and have discovered the modern car can make a wonderful mini stock that can compete with the fast RWD cars of the past and only need small modifications. At I37 it was a stock Saturn that won most races against a few mini stocks including myself. Considering I run in the top 4 or 5 at outlaw events by only changing tires, this tells me a car like that can also win an outlaw race with a few minor changes.

So what I'm asking for is opinions and to see if there is any interest in resurrecting a series like Thunder Cars before I start petitioning promoters for an opening. Or is mini stock racing really finished.  If so, is there any interest in a Sport Compact series in Corpus Christi ? Or is I37 the closest track south for small cars ? It is alive and doing well there. Nationwide ,Sport Compact racing is booming. Like the SCDRA traveling series purses paying 5 grand to win for the most part. Every track should have a small car series as most involved will never become big car teams. Why leave that part of society out ?

Happy New Year everybody. Hope its great for you.

Archived