Sign in to follow this  
sm002

Transmission

I have been running a 1.68 three speed I bought a 1.75 and the bearing retainer on the input shaft is bigger around than the 1.68 so it won't fit into my bell housing. Does anyone know would it be ok to take the bell housing to a machine shop to get the hole cut out bigger or do I need a different bell housing?

I've seen the bearing retainer turned down as to not mess up the bell housing

Have heard someone say that's been done before but I am a bit skeptical.

The collar from the 168 should fit it if you need the new Bearing you can get it from nogotitos gear or Bohls Bearing on Probandt Street

Is the collar from a 1.84 the same as 1.68 cause I tried one from a 1.84 and the bearing on the 1.75 was too big

Edited by sm002

I knew a man (rip Rick Rapp) that would spend hours aligning his transmissions with the crank shaft to avoid vibrations. If you open the hole in the bell housing and eventually go back to the small retainer-------- you could have an issue! That tighter fit is not perfect but better than nothing. Just saying!

I knew a man (rip Rick Rapp) that would spend hours aligning his transmissions with the crank shaft to avoid vibrations. If you open the hole in the bell housing and eventually go back to the small retainer-------- you could have an issue! That tighter fit is not perfect but better than nothing. Just saying!

Tighter fit wouldn't be an issue it won't fit at all is the issue.

I understand that! From a previos post I said " have the piece turned down" we've done it a few times and never had any trouble. Just be sure to torque evenly.