PISTON RINGS TOO TIGHT ?

1955chevy33

It would all depend on how tight they heated to - as the ring heats up it expands - when this happens the gap gets smaller. If the ends butted together tight enough they act like a wedge door stopper. As they gget hotter it only gets worse. You will need to do a visual to determine if a rehone or rebore is needed. If you can still see the cross hatch and have no chatter marks you should be okay - the blueing is the metals response to heat - it changes the refractory of the cyl wall surface as well as heats oil into the hatching which carbonnizes the steel in the cast iron. In other words you have heat treated the cyl making it a harder surface. If using chrome-moly rings you will have a hard time seating them - but can be done with a few low RPM full throttle hits in a higher than race gear. If you use cast rings - no problem - they will wear faster because of the hardening on the wall - but cast rings are supposed to wear - they get better with use - until worn to the point of losing tension.

And I fully concur that you should check the pistons carefully. Not just the lands, but the entire ring belt -grooves, ring seat and groove backs as well. You could have damage such as cracks and splitting all the way back in the groove where the seal seat and ring back make a 90 degree. As this is not a radiused cut there there is a lot of stress there - especially when the piston was trying to force locked rings! And all through the pin bore - make sure its still nice and round! Hopefully your using floating pins and don't have to press em off. A visual may not cut it. Should do a penetratrating dye check.

AND check the rod bearings and crank pin journal to make sure you did not force it hard enough to overcome the oil film and touch steel to the bearing! (should be good there - oil IS pretty tuff stuff when fresh)

THANK YOU. YOU ALL HAVE BEEN A LOT OF HELP AND A LOT OF IDEAS ! I AM PROBABLY GOING INTO THE MOTOR MYSELF. I DONT KNOW IF MY ENGINE BUILDER WILL BE AS PARTICULAR AS YOU GUYS ARE ! I MAY END UP GETTING A NEW SET OF PISTONS AND RINGS AGAIN.

I GUESS I GOT MY MONEYS USE OUT OF THOSE PISTONS AND RINGS. THAT 35-40 MINUTES OF RUN TIME. SHE DID SOUND GOOD AND STRONG !

THANKS AGAIN,

FREDDY

Archived