'Texas Trey' Mitchell does it the hard way at Hickory

Texas’ Trey Mitchell does it the Hard Way at Hickory

by Chris Ragle

Mooresville, NC (4/13/09) - If anyone that has ever told a racing story about someone winning a race and making it look easy Wimberley, TX native Trey Mitchell was either not listing or not around. Mitchell went from questing himself if he was even going to make the field to posting an impressive fifth place finish in his first PASS South Easter Bunny 150 at the Hickory (NC) Motor Speedway.

Many short track experts were calling the 2009 PASS South Easter Bunny 150 the best race in the country so far this season due to the caliber of competition and the fact that forty one cars from Canada to Texas turned out to attempt to make the thirty car starting field. This made the event’s time trials the most anticipated part of the day with the top twenty cars being locked in on time while the rest of the field would be set by two last chance heat races with the top three advancing to the feature. After final practice times were posted, Texas Trey Mitchell set forth on the speed charts leaving the team with high hopes of a solid starting position.

Qualifying quickly brought the Alex Query lead team down to reality as they only managed the twenty-second best time missing being locked in by .011 of a second. This resulted in Trey having to race his way in through one of the two fifteen lap last chance heat races. For fifteen laps Mitchell “raced for his life” and lead flag to flag winning his last chance race placing him in his first Easter Bunny 150. His last chance heat race win placed him twenty second on the starting grid of the thirty cars taking the green flag.

“What a relief, you have no idea how good it feels to make it in the show right now. We practiced well all day we just didn’t pick up the speed some of these guys did in qualifying. I know if we could just get in the show we would race really well as long as we stayed out of trouble,” stated Mitchell after his heat race win.

With 150 laps of green flag racing and thirty cars on a tight 3/8th mile racetrack Mitchell knew he would have to be “patiently aggressive” to make his way through the field. Fans in attendance and those listening world wide on RaceTalkRadio.com would have never guessed the way Mitchell made his way through the field that this was only Mitchell’s third full year of super late model racing. At the crossed flags Mitchell had literally out driven the competition to move within the top ten. With double file restarts mixed with a few yellow flags in the closing laps Mitchell brought his #47 Magnum’s Oilfield Services Ford Fusion home fifth.

“That was fun; I think that may have been the most fun I’ve had in a late model yet. To finish fifth after having to race my way in through one of the last chance races, I have to say I’m pretty happy. Alex (Query) is the best to work with, he really does a good job fine tuning the car to make it fast on the long runs and I think that’s what made the difference tonight. I just want to say thanks to my crew guys, the fans because I know we had quite a few Trey Mitchell Racing fans here tonight, and PASS for putting an awesome race on,” said Mitchell.

The finish made it two top five finishes in a row since racing with the PASS South series dating back to October 2008 at the Howler 150 at Greenville-Pickens Speedway. Mitchell has finished in the top ten in all three career PASS South series starts with a stellar average finishing position of sixth.

For more information on public relations related items and sponsorship opportunities with Trey Mitchell Racing visit his website at www.treymitchellracing.com and www.sponsortrey.com. To learn more about Trey Mitchell Racing 2009 plans contact Chris Ragle with Tex Motorsports Marketing at 704-706-3666 or via email at cragle02@yahoo.com.

Archived