‘One and done’ for 2008 TSRS champion Heath Stewart

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Oct. 2, 2008

MAN Racing Promotions, 512.844.3582

‘One and done’ for 2008 TSRS champion Heath Stewart

Kyle, TX (October 2, 2008) -Just when you thought it was safe to start celebrating, there’s actually some “closure” that came with Heath Stewart’s 2008 championship in the Texas Super Racing Series (TSRS) Late Models.

Stewart, who won four series races and won the Fast Qualifier Award eight times in a spectacular ’08 TSRS season, revealed he would not return to defend his series title in 2009.

Also, the car Stewart drove to the championship – the #1 Chevy Monte Carlo owned by Bobby Joe New, the 2007 TSRS champ – is up for sale after it’s been driven to three TSRS championships (Ronny New won the inaugural 2003 series championship in the same car).

“Bobby Joe’s putting the car up for sale,” declared Stewart, 33, who won the fifth driver’s championship of his career with the ’08 TSRS crown. “As for myself, I won’t return next year. I wouldn’t say I’m retired or semi-retired (from driving), but with a wife (Crissy) and two young daughters (Presley and Taylor), I have some very important responsibilities at home. I wouldn’t have run this season except for the fact I was able to drive for Bobby Joe New.”

However, when pressed on the issue, Stewart – who will turn 34 on Nov. 16th – didn’t sound like he was ready to “hang up his steering wheel” just yet. “Well,” he said with a smirk, “I might run in the modifieds (class) next season. (Also), if someone has a car (for which) they need a driver, I might listen to an offer.”

Whether this championship year turns out to be Stewart’s “swan song” or not, the Del Valle (TX) driver certainly had a “dream” season driving for New.

He set a TSRS season record with his eight Fast Qualifier Awards. He set two series track qualifying records – at Houston Motorsports Park (a time of 14.664 seconds on May 17) and Red River Speedway in Wichita Falls , TX (14.107 on June 7). He tied Chris Schild (Leander, TX) for the most wins in a season (Schild won four races during his 2005 championship run).

Stewart, who started racing in 1992 while attending Del Valle High School (he started driving full time in ‘95), captured his four checkered flags during the first seven races of the ’08 season, giving him a solid lead in the points standings.

Stewart finished 2008 with nine Top-5 and nine Top-10 finishes in 11 starts, including the four victories. He accumulated 1,697 points (including 50 bonus points), finishing ahead of Boerne’s Robert Barker (55 points back) and San Antonio ’s Brian Moczygemba (76 points back) in the final standings.

Stewart was supported by his sponsors – Southside Wrecker of Austin and Gen-Tech Generator Sales of Leander (TX) – as well as his crew: car owner Bobby Joe New; crew chief J.R. Kremmer; Adam Wilkerson; and, spotter Curtis Drosche.

“Crew chief J.R. (Kremmer) made my life very easy,” Stewart began. “He really knows those (TSRS) cars inside and out and made my transition to this type of car very easy. He’s awesome handling the care and making adjustments on the car. I never second-guessed him; he could have done a complete change-over on the car after practice and I never would have doubted his adjustments.

“Bobby Joe New has helped me ever since I started racing in 1992 and he’s always been there for me. He helped me in my championship year (USRA Late Models) of 2005. I never would have had half the success I had in my career without Bobby Joe.”

Stewart continued, “Adam Wilkerson is the son of Wynn Wilkerson (a legendary Austin racing figure). This was the first time he’s helped me on race car but he and I grew up together. He did a great job, as did Curtis, my spotter. Curtis has been with me ever since I started racing (Stewart and Drosche graduated from Del Valle High School together in ’93).”

While the championship was great, Stewart said the real “fun” this season came with driving against – and meeting – the drivers, crews and families of Texas’ premier late model series.

“I had a great time driving with the drivers in TSRS,” Stewart declared. “I hadn’t driven against most of them but I enjoyed the competition and enjoyed making new friends in this class. There are some great people in the series, be it family members, crew members or the people who work in the series.”

Stewart then concluded, “This is such a great, competitive series; heck, I was happy just to finish in the top three, let alone win the series championship.”

Information on TSRS can be found at www.manracingpromotions.com. Information about THR and the Allstate Texas Stock Car Spectacular can be found at www.thunderhillraceway.com.

Heath Stewart’s Career Racing Championships:

2008 – Texas Super Racing Series Late Models champion

2005 – USRA ( Texas ) Late Models champion

2000 – Thunderhill Raceway (Kyle, TX) Limited Late Models champion

1999 – Thunderhill Raceway Limited Late Models champion

1999 – Longhorn Speedway ( Austin , TX ) track champion

1995 – Longhorn Speedway Street Stock champion

Archived