95 psd--->e4od to zf5 5 speed stick

jracer98

pretty much a threw and threw install though things you should check for on your truck is a hole for the clutch master and maybe if your lucky the hump will have an access plate( I've never understood why some boxy fords got it and some don't). things you need to make sure and grab from the doner truck are the peddel box, dust plate/shim, clutch master and linkage, cross member, drive shaft, flywheel ( make sure its not a dual mass if it is then replace with solid flywheel immediately or replace with solid flywheel after the dual mass goes out in a week). every thing inside the bell housing. and oh yeah the transmission...

pretty much a threw and threw install though things you should check for on your truck is a hole for the clutch master and maybe if your lucky the hump will have an access plate( I've never understood why some boxy fords got it and some don't). things you need to make sure and grab from the doner truck are the peddel box, dust plate/shim, clutch master and linkage, cross member, drive shaft, flywheel ( make sure its not a dual mass if it is then replace with solid flywheel immediately or replace with solid flywheel after the dual mass goes out in a week). every thing inside the bell housing. and oh yeah the transmission...

thanks...missed the opportunity on the donor trucks parts (and it did have the dual mass flywheel). It's against my better judgement but I'm going to have the existing slushbox upgraded....

Once again, the racecars budget is redirected :angry:

jay

• 2 weeks later...

The zf isn't a very good transmission any way. They don't last pulling and don't take to power very well. Synchros don't last. If u were to do it in the future look into a nv-4500 or 5600 swap from a dodge. Lot better tranny's. I have a 97 currently on jackstands waiting for a replacement.shop wants a grand to bench build it.

The zf isn't a very good transmission any way. They don't last pulling and don't take to power very well. Synchros don't last. If u were to do it in the future look into a nv-4500 or 5600 swap from a dodge. Lot better tranny's. I have a 97 currently on jackstands waiting for a replacement.shop wants a grand to bench build it.

I was hot when I wrote that...does it show? :lol: I was going to our first modified race after a 2 year gap...and I was 75% of the way down the road.

After some research, I found a trans shop owner that drives a similar year e4od PSD that tows a 35 ft trailer. You gotta believe that guy knows what it needs.

I'll look into your suggestion and may start squirreling parts away for "tomorrow".

It was discouraging to watch my "racing money" get siphoned off...again :( but I'll try to get something together---> heck, I already own $350 worth of 2012 fees !!!

Thanks for the suggestion

jay

Archived