Weather concerns halt ASCS Devil's Bowl Spring Nationals

NickHolt

Forecasted weather halts Devil’s Bowl Spring Nationals

by Bryan Hulbert

MESQUITE, Texas (March 15, 2023) The start of the 2023 season for the American Sprint Car Series will have to wait a little longer as officials with the Devil’s Bowl Speedway have made the call to cancel this weekend’s Spring Nationals due to forecasted heavy rains on Thursday, followed by low and near freezing temperatures on Friday and Saturday that won’t allow time for the already rain softened facility to be usable.

The 2023 season will now begin with the $15,000 to win Capital City Clash at Jackson Motor Speedway in Byram, Miss., on Friday, March 31, and Saturday, April 1.

The 2023 season will mark the 32nd year of competition for the American Sprint Car Series. Spearheaded by the American Sprint Car Series National Tour, the ASCS Nation includes Regional Tours that encompass both wing and non-wing competition.

I had the responsibility for making rainout calls for San Antonio Speedway for several years and for a year or two for THR (before it was Central Texas Speedway).  Here's how it often turned out.

In situations where there was threatening weather before the event, It was a "good" call if: 

1) I called it off and the track was actually experiencing bad weather at race time.  

2) I didn't call it off and we somehow managed to get the show in before the bad weather hit.

It was a "bad" call if:

1) I called it off but the track conditions were actually good enough to allow some on-track time.

2) I didn't call it off and folks sat in their haulers waiting for the monsoon to subside.

It was more or less a crap shoot, but you'd hear from pissed off folks no matter the call.... 

Nick