Season Starts Soon @ I-37 Speedway 2-5-23

Season Starts Soon @ I-37 Speedway 2-5-23

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(Feb. 5Th, 2023) With opening night on the horizon, around 25 drivers took the opportunity to get an afternoon of practice in on the ¼ mile, semi-banked, dirt oval. Conditions were less than ideal on a weird track surface. After the mid-week rains/ice had dried out, the top had a crust form, but underneath was still soft. It was a bit western.

Some debuted new colors/graphics, while other broke out some relics. Lawrence Mikulencak brought an IMCA Modified he says he built in 1990's with a “claimer” motor from the same era, all hidden under a new skin. With pavement shows coming up, Joe Aramendia got some dirt laps in piloting the Limited Modified normally driven by James Cole.

A surprise driver showed up to take some laps in Mikulencak's Limited Modified. Former IMCA Modified driver turned Trans Am(TA2) and Pikes Peak Hill Climb racer, Elias Anderson returned to the track he once raced at. It will be interesting to see if he had enough to 'scratch his itch' or whether we'll see back on dirt again.

One more practice is tentatively scheduled for the last weekend in February giving racers another chance to shake down new rides, make

changes or give them a warm up to the following weeks big show in Edna, the start of March.

I-37 Speedway's season kicks on March 18th with the “Spring Green” opener featuring the track Late Models, plus the regular classes(IMCA Modifieds, Limited Modifieds, Factory Stocks and Sport Compacts). The Go-Karts kick off their season the following week(March 25th) along with the regular classes and the Texas Dirt Truck Series.

For the full schedules, rules, information; visit I-37 Speedway's website or their facebook page.

JMH_8208 (1024x684) (2).jpg