From the rumor department: San Antonio Speedway to be restored?

NickHolt

There is a new FB page up and running called San Antonio Motorplex.  Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100089245173818

Those of us who were a part of the old San Antonio Speedway keep one ear to the ground hoping to hear that someone is going to rebuild the iconic half-mile.  So far, any rumors, hints, plans, etc, have been unfounded. 

There seem to be more reasons these days not to rebuild than say, 10 years ago. 

- There are residential neighborhoods (not planned neighborhoods - actual neighborhoods with people living in them) within easy earshot of the old speed plant

- There are businesses currently using the dragstrip property for lots of permanent looking ventures

- The city and county are very aware that the land that the track sits on is basically a toxic mess in need of remediation

- The oval track property has basically rotted into the ground with the exception of the massive steel structure supporting the grandstand which former owner Frank Howell built and the flatter portions of the racing surface that seem repairable.  The soil supporting the turns has eroded to the point that both ends would need lots of work. 

Now, that being said, someone with enough money and desire could find a way to restore SAS, but I'm not saluting the San Antonio Motorplex flag just yet. 

Nick

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you Nick, I don't see it happening. Race tracks are like old gas stations, cost more to remediate than the cost of the property. My first "home" track from my high school days, closed in 1987. From 1987 until 2017, a truck driving school operated in the in pit area and the parking lot outside the track. So basically from 1968 to 2017, the track property was a toxic waste dumping ground. General Electric has a huge commercial jet engine manufacturing operation along I-75 in Cincinnati, about 6 miles from the old track facility. GE bought the track property, complied with the EPA's requirements, and built another massive plant & office complex. Plus, it's only a mile back to I-75. My brother worked at the original GE facility. Before he retired, he supervised the move of his section to the new facility. They were the first to actually occupy space in it. He was good friends with the new plant manager, and he told my brother that GE spent almost $30mil rehabbing the land, before starting construction. Considering that the plant cost over $700mil, $30mil doesn't sound like a lot. But your average business can't afford that. But hey, maybe someone does have the capital, and possibly the ins with county & state inspectors. But I just don't see them being able to overcome the residential housing that is in that area now. 

Looking at what they just posted it is the drag strip first then circle track.

From the way its wrote is that this is a ground up build.

Looks like they are asking for volunteers, and whats funny is drag racers are saying they will help and then here comes the circle track people start asking is it asphalt or dirt? Come on people just say you will help, and just be interested that a track is possibly being built instead being closed. This is not a dig at what you are saying Nick this is about what I saw on the post.

I'm definitely not a pessimist, but I'll believe it when I see it.  We all know about some of the scams that have been started along these same lines.  I agree with you, Nick, that reopening the track would require overcoming some major hurdles and lots of $$$.  But I would love to see it happen again in my lifetime.

It's interesting to note that the flyer uses the old SAS address, but with the city shown as "Von Ormy."

It has been years since I've posted on this site . . . sure brings back some "Déjà vu."  Sure do miss my racing family.

Agree, I'm curious though is SAS in Von Ormy now, I know the pic is SAS but wasn't sure about that part. The dragway last I saw had lots of shit on it. 

I'd still build a 1/2 mile oval at the Marion property. You know, if I had money to burn.

I'll support and work with whomever but yes we have been down this road a time of 2.

And... I am not trying to be an ass but when plans are being drawn and volunteers are needed, that's a tough start. Look at the Wilks and Rock projects folks are being paid, handsomely I'm sure to get those up to par. 

Edited by RodneyRodriguez

I have always believed that SAS can indeed come back to life, if:

- Someone with enough expendable resources and unlimited desire were to make it a priority in their life.

- The City of San Antonio actually got behind the project and would be willing to help cut through all the mountains of red tape it would take

So far, asking for volunteer help doesn't seem to fit either of those criteria.

Agree, and I have been told numerous times in the last 2 years. If Texas could establish a stable 1/2 mile race track we could become a viable pavement racing state once again. To pull in large shows which are needed.. we have to pull from outside of Texas like it or not that's the deal. Weekly shows at 5 Flags Speedway are not good.. at Mobile we struggle. Those teams like the big tracks which sucks for "local" drivers. The City of SA is the key to get them aboard would be the key to making things happen. 16 has all the appeal needed to come back to life but I just don't think it will.

For pavement friends, focus on what you do have available .. Houston is there, they appear to be moving forward love on that place. 

I guess I’m the eternal optimist but I don’t see the reason for all the skepticism. These people have run tracks before (well from what I could tell) and have tried to purchase ACM which was snapped out from under them due to something 100% out of their control (the person they where trying to buy it through was stealing their payment, pocketing it and not paying the deed holder, this is not in dispute). 

The Stovall’s have been very publicly looking for a place to build a track and have settled on SAS, in my opinion that property has always been the most logical choice.

The San Antonio/Austin Metroplex is one of the fastest growing in the country, CoTA just set the world record for the largest F1 race attendance in history and I37 (the closest dirt track to the area) regularly has car counts that would make any track jealous. 

Beyond all that SAS is by far the most logical place to build a track in the area. It is well within the Toyota buffer zone (by about a half mile) and as such any homes built around it are being done without the blessing of the city. Because of uncapped wells and the lead issues that property will only ever be industrial or a race track. Also…that side of town isn’t exactly hoping with activity, the city should be glad for any development going on down there.

Edited by JamesHigdon

2 hours ago, Realfast said:

Your right. I bet they would build a race track.   I’m sorry,I would just have to see it to believe it.  And James no offense to you. But you have fallen for every one of these race track possibilities.  

I’m probably more enthusiastic than I should be about these deals, makes me angry that we have to be so guarded with people in the racing community. Everyone should be VERY guarded when approaching these deals…

Edited by JamesHigdon

19 hours ago, debwill said:

I'm definitely not a pessimist, but I'll believe it when I see it.  We all know about some of the scams that have been started along these same lines.  I agree with you, Nick, that reopening the track would require overcoming some major hurdles and lots of $$$.  But I would love to see it happen again in my lifetime.

It's interesting to note that the flyer uses the old SAS address, but with the city shown as "Von Ormy."

It has been years since I've posted on this site . . . sure brings back some "Déjà vu."  Sure do miss my racing family.

AND WE MISS U 

I'd still do it Corpus, I have always thought of CC of more of a fun destination. SA is great but just don't think it has the draw of a coastal city. Austin, not even way to hard even in the suburbs maybe the Taylor area but it is way to far off the path and now not the easiest to get to and honesty we don't have many racers left. On top of that CBS has a great hold on what we have, they deserve it. 

3 minutes ago, RodneyRodriguez said:

I'd still do it Corpus, I have always thought of CC of more of a fun destination. SA is great but just don't think it has the draw of a coastal city. Austin, not even way to hard even in the suburbs maybe the Taylor area but it is way to far off the path and now not the easiest to get to and honesty we don't have many racers left. On top of that CBS has a great hold on what we have, they deserve it. 

The Riverwalk (always a top 20 site in the country), the Alamo, SeaWorld, Fiesta Texas, the Hill Country…I had to do a list of possible attractions for a previous potential SAS sponsor. People don’t think about it but within 20 minutes of the track are 5 UNESCO world heritage sites and a world-famous attraction. San Antonio has like 3 times the tourists per year (10 million to 30 million if memory serves) of Corpus, has the two most visited sites in Texas and is the biggest tourist destination in Texas. A track as humanly close to downtown SA as possible is unarguably the best site in TX. 

SA would be a great NASCAR destination for all of those reasons. But landing Cup races, truck races are hell. For some Super Late Model racing, bi weekly stock car racing I'd still give it to CC those fans aren't tourists, good food, fun, ease so access wins out with the short track crowd. First time I went to Pensacola a guy said do you wanna go sight seeing in Pcola. I'm like yep, where's 5 Flags Speedway. Lol

Just to clarify I’m not trying this cause issues rather simply make a counter point.

If someone built a half mile asphalt oval in Amarillo I’d happily travel up there every week, we make the 1.5 hour trip to I37 more weeks than not. Racing is racing. 

I just don’t (and have never) understood-under-estimating the economic potential of this area. The dirt-poor central Texas is a thing of the past, in my opinion we need to act like it. 

4 minutes ago, Realfast said:

This is a picture of a bond the city of San Antonio has to build affordable housing and repair housing. image.thumb.png.f1a643963f4274a48d9c525c2fc2153d.png

Yea…but living on the NW side I can tell you those homes aren’t being built off New Laredo HWY they’re being built off Bandera Road. We have low income housing (mostly section 8 and section 42 apartments but some zero lotline neighborhoods) popping up on every single free blade of grass.

The ultra liberal city council wants “housing equity” which means driving property values down on the nicer sides of town. 

Not even people with no where to live want to live south of Valley Hi.