4th Annual DTK Memorial @ I-37 Speedway 11/4/22

4th Annual DTK Memorial @ I-37 Speedway 11/3-5/22

By JM Hallas

Pleasanton, TX.,(Nov. 4Th, 2022) Honoring three great fathers.

With the points season over and done, it was time for I-37 Speedway to host the 4th Annual DTK Memorial on the14 mile, semi-banked, dirt oval, south of San Antonio.

Following an open practice Thursday night, it was a big night full of action beginning with the debut of the All Star Crate Late Model series, running the first of three, double-header Winter Series races at three south Texas tracks through early December.

Next, the final race of the Texas Dirt Truck Series, a double points race to determine this years series champion. The championship looks to be between Jared Maupin, driving for Jamie Fuller whose truck won the title last year with Aaron Leddy driving, and Jarrett Barber. Barber won the first visit to I-37 Speedway earlier this year. A second visit, mid-season, was canceled after a fire in a transformer took out the lights. Buster Dean, Jamie Green and Russ Parker round out the top five.

Also on the slate for the evening were the Factory Stocks running for $1,000 to win and the Sport Compacts shooting for a $500 payday.

A late addition to the Friday night were the Limited Modifieds after ODS On Demand Shirts stepped up to help with the purse and a $600 to win top prize.

Racing continues Saturday night featuring the second night of the All Star Crate Late Model series, the IMCA Modifieds(with the bounty on Steve Whiteaker jr. still available), Limited Modifieds, Factory Stocks and another late addition, the Street Stocks.

All Abbey in ASCLMS

The 20-car, 20-lap ASCLMS main event got off to a rocky start as the field took the green. Dean Abbey and Brandon Brzozowski stayed side by side with a three wide battle for third. In the pack Newton Barta got turned into the front stretch wall collecting Andrew Hesler, Matt Fox, Anthony Boatman, Jamie Campbell and Nate Jantz. All but Barta were able to continue.

On the second try it was D. Abbey getting the lead ahead of Brzozowski, Shane Hebert, Kevin Sitton and Wyatt Wilkerson. Hebert was able to grab second from Brzozowski leaving him side by side with Sitton for third and Beau Begnaud taking fifth from Wilkerson. As D. Abbey began to pull away he tangled with Matt Fox as he attempted to lap him for a lap 7 yellow.

On the restart, Hebert tried to take a look inside in turn 1, but to no avail. D. Abbey was again increasing his lead coming to halfway with Hebert, Sitton, Brzozowski and Begnaud in the top five. D. Abbey again caught slower traffic on lap 13, but continued to hold a comfortable margin on Hebert.

Coming to the white flag D. Abbey(Roanoke) had built a half straightaway lead easily cruising to the checkers in his Dynamic Drivelines, Andys Sprinklers & Drainage, Paul Miller Custom Pools, Muirhead Motorsports, 777 Graphics, Speedway Motors crate powered, MB Customs Chassis by CDR.

“Good track position was very helpful,” exclaimed Abbey. “Starting on the pole was a big help. We had a good car, but track position helped a lot. Lapped traffic got a little sketchy. Coming off turn 2 I kinda got into that lapped car a little bit. There was a lane, then it wasn't there. It's just part of it sometimes. You've got to go.”

“I was concerned about having to change my line in traffic. I was hoping that I had enough of a cushion to be a little patient. I didn't think the track was good enough for someone to get me on the high side. It's just a deal you have to take a chance on.”

“I've been here once before in a Stock Car. We really didn't learn a lot off that, being a different class. This car has been so balanced all year. I've been able to do the same things and it's worked everywhere we've gone. We've had a lot of success traveling around this year. We stay pretty close to our baseline and make a few changes for what we think we need.”

“We're off to a good start,” added Abbey regarding running the full series. “We'll see how tomorrow night goes. I'm not committing to the whole thing just yet. It's a long haul. This is probably the closest race, four and half hours. We'll see how it goes.”

2055337377__JRP6546(2)(1024x580).thumb.jpg.c556e0c06e56ab07cd87018c4b805495.jpg

All Star Crate Late Model Series

26 Dean Abbey, 9 Shane Hebert, 1 Kevin Sitton, 104 Brandon Brzozowski, 32 Beau Begnaud, 47 Jeffrey Abbey, 717 GW Egbert, 78 Wyatt Wilkerson, 12 Kody Hardage, 25 Robbie Starnes, 99 Nate Jantz, 9 Ray Doyon III, 7 Rhett Starnes, 75 Anthony Boatman, 1x Andrew Hesler, 5 Ryan McDonald, 19 Barry Quade, 29 Jamie Campbell, 53x Matt Fox, 4 Newton Barta

ASCLMS B-main(top 8 to A-main)

717 GW Egbert, 47 Jeffrey Abbey, 25 Robbie Starnes, 12 Kody Hardage, 75 Anthony Boatman, 7 Rhett Starnes, 19 Barry Quade, 1x Andrew Hesler, 08 Landon Sowder, 91 Jack Lewis, 3d Robby Minten, 57 Jason Kelly

ASCLMS heats(top 4 to A-main)

Heat 1; 26 Dean Abbey, 78 Wyatt Wilkerson, 5 Ryan McDonald, 9 Ray Doyon III, 717 GW Egbert, 12 Kody Hardage, 7 Rhett Starnes, 57 Jason Kelly

Heat 2; 104 Brandon Brzozowski, 9x Shane Hebert, 4 Newton Barta, 99 Nate Jantz, 47 Jeffrey Abbey, 1x Andrew Hesler, 08 Landon Sowder, 3d Robby Minten

Heat 3; 1 Kevin Sitton, 32 Beau Begnaud, 29 Jamie Campbell, 53x Matt Fox, 25 Robbie Starnes, 75 Anthony Boatman, 19 Barry Quade, 91 Jack Lewis

Maupin on the Money, Secures Championship

At the start of the Jarrett Barber had an uphill battle even with double points to overtake Jared Maupin for the championship. As the field took the green it was three wide for the lead between Jamie Green, Aaron Leddy and Adam Tracy. Barber's hopes ended when he got in a tangle with Ad. Tracy, and Daniel Gaudette in turn 2.

On the restart Maupin took second from Leddy and was looking on Green for the lead when Ad. Tracy looped it. This time Maupin looked up top for the lead as the green flew again. Maupin was able to get the bumper out front on laps 5-6 as the duo stayed door to door. Green was able to wrestle the lead back on lap 7.

That lead scrap continued until halfway with Green getting the bumper ahead, Maupin, Leddy, Gaudette and Larry Baggett in the top five. A quick yellow for Ryker Hernandez, who stopped in turn 2. With a single file restart Maupin again went to the top and the two were back at it. Maupin finally got a good enough run on the back stretch to take the line away in turn 3, and retake the lead on lap 12.

Lost in the lead fight were Leddy, Gaudette and Baggett having their own battle for third. Once clear, Maupin began to motor away while Leddy and Baggett were side by side for third. Maupin(San Antonio) built a full straightaway margin coming to the checkers in the Jamie Fuller owned, Reflective Wrecker, ODS On Demand Shirts, Swenson Shocks, JGR Fab, CNC Grafix, Best Race Engines truck.

“The truck was perfect,” replied Maupin. “I couldn't ask for anything better. That deal with Jamie(Green) was just everyone going for the bottom. It was just door to door, nothing out of the ordinary. It is what it is. I wouldn't be mad if it was the other way around. We weren't expressing pleasantries under caution though. He had me turned sideways on the back stretch. I wouldn't mind a little rubbing door to door, but that was uncalled for.”

“I figured after that I'd show him the top and hope he'd jump up. He was committed to running the bottom though. I thought if I got a good enough run that I could take his line away. I knew I was good out of (turns) 1-2, I just had to hit it perfect. Then just chopped him off going to (turn) 3.”

“We do a lot of maintenance on this truck. It's on the scales before every race, nut-n-bolt check, and know exactly what it needs. My experience, Jamie's experience all come together and it works.”

“We've got four more races to win this, according to Jaime. Big shows too. Nothing crazy, just a few wins.”

Texas Dirt Truck Series

91 Jared Maupin, 95 Jamie Green, 416 Aaron Leddy, 319 Larry Baggett, 28 Russ Parker, 00 Buster Dean, 05 Daniel Gaudette, 693 Colton Borlace, 41 Ryker Hernandez, 01t Adolph Tracy, 22 Adam Tracy, 19 Jarrett Barber, 4 Treyler Caulfield---dntg, 7 Lance Chacon---dns, 52 Donald Mick---dns, 21t Shaun Tracy---dns

TDTS heats

Heat 1; 28 Russ Parker, 22t Adam Tracy, 416 Aaron Leddy, 93 Colton Borlace, 19 Jarrett Barber, 01t Adolph Tracy, 00 Buster Dean

Heat 2

91 Jared Maupin, 4 Treyler Caulfield, 95 Jamie Green, 41 Ryker Hernandez, 31 Larry Baggett, 05 Daniel Gaudette, 7 Lance Chacon, 21t Shaun Tracy

Limited Modified Money to Mikulencak

As the 20-lap Limited Modified feature took the green Allen Alexander led into turn 1 with Marcus Mikulencak looking high, Nathan Titzman, Ben Mikulencak and JJ Jennings in the top five. M. Mikulencak got a good run off turn 4 to lead by and bumper. Alexander fought back to lead lap 3. It was three wide with Titzman looking too, but M. Mikulencak finally secured the point.

Gilbert Perez took a trip over the turn 2 hill to bring out lap 7 caution. M. Mikulencak got out on the restart with Trent Beaver making a charge to second, B. Mikulencak following to third and Heath Stewart to fourth. Coming to the midway point it was M. Mikulencak stretching it out, Beaver, Stewart, Daniel Preston and Titzman in the top five.

Beaver had a slip up in turn 2 allowing Stewart to take second, but M. Mikulencak had checked out. B. Mikulencak was able to retake some positions, back up to fourth past Preston. No one had anything for M. Mikuencak(Corpus Christi) as he built a huge lead in his Vinco Plumbing, L87 Speedway, ODS On Demand Shirts, Ace Transmission, RPM Equipment, Mattress Firm, All in Designs, Swenson Shocks, All American Race Engines, IRP Chassis as he went unchallenged to the checkers.

Limited Modifieds presented by ODS On Demand Shirts

79 Marcus Mikulencak, h14 Heath Stewart, 14 Trent Beaver, 13m Ben Mikulencak, bd2 Daniel Preston, 1t Nathan Titzman, 73 Derrick Gonzalez, 879 Joe Aramendia, bd1 Gilbert Perez, 95 Sterling Tausch, 99 Allen Alxander, 18 Chace Hebert, 11t Tom Grothues, 26 JJ Jennings, 00k Oliver Billingsley, 14c Lawrence Mikulencak---dns

Limited Modified heats

Heat 1; 99 Allen Alexander, 879 Marcus Mikulencak, 1t Nathan Titzman, 14c Lawrence Mikulencak, 13m Ben Mikulencak, 73 Derrick Gonzalez, h14 Heath Stewart, 18 Chace Hebert

Heat 2; 11t Tom Grothues, 26 JJ Jennings, bd1 Gilbert perez, bd2 Daniel Preston, 79 Joe Aramendia, 14 Trent beaver, 95s Sterling Tausch, 00k Oliver Billingsley

Villareal Victorious in Factory Stocks

The scheduled 20-lap Factory Stock feature got off to a rough start with multiple spins on the first try and dual spins on the second. Finally under green and it was Memphis Villareal taking the lead ahead on Cameron Starry, Dylan Kowalik, Kasey Krauss and Johnny Torres. Starry began trying high, while J. Torres got by Krauss and Kowalik for third.

On a lap 4 restart, after a spin by Dakota Hurley, Starry made contact with Villareal sending him around in turn 2. Starry got sent to the back and Villareal placed back in the lead. Back to green, Villareal and J. Torres got away while Jared Maupin took fourth from Krauss. Allen Torres was next to put Krauss back a spot snagging fifth.

Maupin and A. Torres then both passed Kowalik for third and fourth, respectively. At the crossed flags it was Villareal, J. Torres, A. Torres, Maupin and Kowalik in the top five. After Krauss and Josh Sewell had trouble in turn 4, Maupin retook third from A. Torres. GW Hessong was trying the high side moving up to sixth, but slipped giving up the spot to Ray Allen Kulhanek.

Dual spins on lap 12 from Mason Casteneda and Robert Keylich brought out the yellow prompting official to cut the race to 15-laps on time limit. The top five stayed nose to tail on green until Kulhanek tried to jump up top. Villareal(Corpus Christi) was able to get a couple car lengths on J. Torres and held on to score the win in the MAV Motorsports Chevy.

All in Designs Factory Stocks

30 Memphis Villareal, 66 Johnny Torres, 91 Jared Maupin, 94 Allen Torres, bd3 Ray Allen Kulhanek, 29k Dylan Kowalik, 99 Jeff Hammit, 38 Josh Sewell, 34h Ryan Doyon, 777x GW Hessong, 741 Cameron Starry, 88 Steven Whiteaker III, 02 Shannon Maurer, 20r Ricky Long, 53k Kasey Krauss, 39 Makayla Trimble, 15L Daniel Lopez, 92r Robert Keylich, 28m Mason Casteneda, 41 Frank Okruhlik, 40 Dakota Hurley, 3d Johnny Brown

Factory Stock B-main(top 10 to A-main)

38 Josh Sewell, 41 Frank Okruhlik, 777x GW Hessong, 02 Shannon Maurer, 39 Makayla Trimble, 99 Jeff Hammit, 88 Steven Whiteaker III, 40 Dakota Hurley, 20r Ricky Long, 15L Daniel Lopez, 75 Jerry Miller, b4 Billy Roschetzky IV, 780 James Stansfield, 25r Nathan Rachui, 139 Mark Villareal, 37 Evan Lambert, 82 Donald Cain, 55c Chris Clark, 44k Michael Keylich, 777 Will Spear---dns

Factory Stock heats(top 3 to A-main)

Heat 1; 30 Memphis Villareal, 53k Kasey Krauss, 94 Allen Torres, 777x GW Hessong, 139 Mark Villareal, 02 Shannon Maurer, 780 James Stansfield, 777 Will Spears

Heat 2; 29k Dylan Kowalik, 66 Johnny Torres, 28m Mason Casteneda, 38 Josh Sewell, 99 Jeff Hammit, 37 Evan Lambert, b4 Billy Roschetzky IV, 75 Jerry Miller

Heat 3; 741 Cameron Starry, 3d Johnny Brown, 92r Robert Keylich, 15L Daniel Lopez, 39 Makayla Trimble, 88 Steven Whiteaker III, 20r Ricky Long, 55c Chris Clark

Heat 4; 91 Jared Maupin, 34h Ryan Doyon, bd2 Ray Allen Kulhanek, 82 Donald Cain, 41 Frank Okruhlik, 25r Nathan Rachui, 40 Dakota Hurley, 44k Michael Keylich

Leasure Strolls to Speedway Loot

Sean Leasure led the Sport Compact field into turn 1 at the start of the 20-lap feature trailed by Mark Earl, Ryker Hernandez, Gabriella King and Levi Hernandez. The top three pulled away while Rod Tait quickly worked his way up to fifth from the back. Josh Garcia and Donald Kinnaman tangled in turn 4 for a lap 5 caution.

Green wasn't out long on the restart as King rolled to a stop ending her night. Leasure got away clean on the restart coming to halfway leading over Earl. R. Hernandez, Tait and L. Hernandez. Justin Sitterle was able to take fifth from L. Hernandez. Up front Leasure(Mansfield) had pulled away to full straightaway lead in his Magic Cobra Motorsports, Diamond Pools, TGB, L&D Transportation Express, Lu's Creations, 815 Suspensions Chevy for the win.

Sport Compacts

67 Sean Leasure, 3m Mark Earl, 70 Rod Tait, 55 Ryker Hernandez, 88 Justin Sitterle, 28 Levi Hernandez, 21t Shaun Tracy, 83 Donald Kinnaman, 33 Jamie Garner, 76y Donald Lewis, 4 Zack Dodson, 3% Sam Walker, 03g Gabriella King, 32 Josh Garcia, 8 Hadley Johnson

Sport Compact heats

Heat 1; 3 Mark Earl, 55 Ryker Hernandez, 03g Gabriela King, 76y Donald Lewis, 8 Hadley Johnson, 4 Zack Dodson, 70 Rod Tait, 3% Sam Walker

Heat 2; 67 Sean Leasure, 32 Joshua Garcia, 28 Levi Hernandez, 88 Justin Sitterle, 21t Shaun Tracy, 33 Jamie Garner, 83 Donald Kinnaman

You can follow the All Star Crate Late Model Series after this weekend running at Texana Raceway Park(Edna, Tx.) Nov. 18-19th and again at South Texas Race Ranch(Corpus Christi) Dec. 8-9th. The series looks to possibly add more dates for early 2023.